• The Brian King On Pavano

Posted by on February 27th, 2006 · Comments (9)

From the Star Ledger -

Cashman, however, leaped to Pavano’s defense. Cashman cited Pavano’s eight strong innings for the Florida Marlins against the Yankees in Game 4 of the 2003 World Series and Pavano’s first game as a Yankee, when he held the Boston Red Sox to two runs in 6 1/3 innings.

“You guys (the media) talk about being intimidated by New York,” Cashman said. “He’s not intimidated by New York. He just was hurt. That’s it. As simple as that. And if he’s not hurt he’ll be a very important pitcher to us. It’s just as simple as that.

“He gets a hall pass for last year because of injury. And all the other stuff is just crap, to be honest. It has no relevance. If he’s healthy, he’s going to be good.”

I wonder what Jaret Wright thinks when he sees all this “stuff”?

Comments on The Brian King On Pavano

February 27th, 2006 | 12:01 pm

Re: Pavano
      “Yankee Stadium, while a pitcher’s ballpark, doesn’t deflate offense nearly as much as Pro Player, and Pavano will now have to face a DH instead of a pitcher each time through the lineup. Plus, New York’s defense won’t be in the same league as Florida’s, even if they end up with Carlos Beltran in center field. In other words, Pavano may have seen his last ERA in the threes for a while, and I wouldn’t be surprised if his ERA is closer to 5.00 than 3.00 in 2005. For all the money they’re throwing around and all the talk about improving their rotation, the Yankees look like they’re basically collecting middle-of-the-rotation starters and paying premium money in doing so.”

2. MJ
      February 27th, 2006 | 12:16 pm

The mark of a true visionary executive is when that executive is willing to admit a mistake and move on. Brian Cashman needs to let it go. No matter how many times he says it and no matter what shade of purple his face turns when saying it, Carl Pavano was a mistake for a number of reasons. The quicker Cashman can admit that to himself, the quicker the franchise can move on from it and find a suitable replacement for Pavano.

3. February 27th, 2006 | 12:48 pm

I ditto that MJ.

4. Rich
      February 27th, 2006 | 5:43 pm

I think we need to at least let Pavano pitch in what he deems a “healthy” state before we expell him. If he still sucks, which he probably will, then let’s ride him out of NY. But before that, let’s not be too quick to have Mr. Cashman bring in another Wright, Vazquez, Brown, Weaver, Contreras, or Irabu (to name a few off the top of my head). He hasn’t always been the best at finding talent outside of NY (although I really believe Chacon is the real deal and I absolutely loved Brownie even though he never panned out).

Can we at least agree on that? Right now, I’ll take Pavano over (fill in the blank). If we’re sticking in-house it’s probably even more grim for us, don’t you think?

5. MJ
      February 27th, 2006 | 6:06 pm

Oh, I’m 100% with you Rich. If Pavano can finally get his mind and body right to where he feels like he’s healthy, by all means, let’s see what he’s got. I don’t want to run him out of towm simply because I think he stinks. I’m more than happy to get any ounce of quality that he might have to offer.

All I was merely saying was that Cashman’s blind defense of Pavano on principle is ridiculous. I want Cashman to have zero attachment or loyalty to his signings. If they’re good, great. If they stink, don’t insist they’ll get better — cut ‘em loose at the right time and move on. A fair tryout is one thing but making excuses for someone you signed is ridiculous.

6. JohnnyC
      February 27th, 2006 | 8:50 pm

Uh, I thought all the bad signings and trades were Tampa’s fault. I guess I didn’t get the memo. BTW, maybe getting Chacon and Small weren’t Cashman’s ideas either. Maybe they were…I don’t know…Damon Oppenheimer’s. Success has many fathers, failure’s an orphan. Let’s stop romanticizing or demonizing everyone in the organization based on what we think they did or didn’t do. We don’t know…and neither do Joel Sherman or Bill Madden for that matter.

7. MJ
      February 27th, 2006 | 11:19 pm

JohnnyC, don’t you antagonize Cashman and Torre ad nauseum? You’ve confused me with your selective defenses and tirades of various people in the organization.

8. JeremyM
      February 28th, 2006 | 9:04 am

Is Cashman’s “hall pass” kind of like Sheffield’s “buddy pass?”

February 28th, 2006 | 9:53 am

===============================

I’d be as thrilled as anyone else if he won the Cy and pitched the Yanks to a World Series title.

But realistically, I see this; Pavano has been in the league since 1998. From 1998-2005, he has been league average or better 2 times. It would be nice, but I’m not expecting 2006 to be the 3rd. I hope it happens, but I’m not going to count on it.