• Ten Little Indi…..er, Sox

Posted by on March 20th, 2006 · Comments (7)

With today’s trade of Bronson Arroyo, all that remains of the 2004 Red Sox are:

Curt Schilling
    David Ortiz
    Gabe Kapler
    Jason Varitek
    Keith Foulke
    Kevin Youkilis
    Manny Ramirez
    Mike Timlin
    Tim Wakefield
    Trot Nixon

And, all that reduction in force took place in about 16.5 months.

It’s the Big-E, Boston-style. Wet and wild.

Comments on Ten Little Indi…..er, Sox

1. Athos333
      March 20th, 2006 | 2:21 pm

Frankly, I’m still scratching my head over the Arroyo trade. He may not have been an amazing pitcher, but he was useful to them… and a heck of alot more useful than Mo Pena. Even if it’s a setup to a Nixon trade, it still makes me wonder since I’d be surprised that they should be so comfortable with their pitching (and so uncomfortable with their outfield). Is Bill James still working with the Sox? Oh well…. the trade makes me happy as a Yanks fan….

2. Jeteupthemiddle
      March 20th, 2006 | 3:19 pm

Really?

I think its an excellent trade for the Sox.

3. Athos333
      March 20th, 2006 | 3:26 pm

Arroyo wasn’t anything to write home about, but you can never have enough pitching. Also, if they wanted a young 24 year old, there are plenty out there with better numbers. I realize that this guys hits a homerun every 17 abs, but he strikes out once for every 3 abs, his fielding is horrible, and I’m not sure that the Sox org can handle another Manny-like attitude in the clubhouse. By the way, his OPS numbers are NL… throw him to our AL pitchers…

4. JohnnyC
      March 20th, 2006 | 5:22 pm

It’s a decent gamble for the Red Sox on the offensive side(right-handed power is not a Boston strong suit in their system)but Pena is the same guy that Red Sox acolytes like Peter Gammons used to underline the wrong-headedness of the Yankees organization…top heavy in toolsy players with no head for the game or, more importantly, the ability to get on base more or less regularly. Now, of course, according to Gammons, he’ll get to learn from the ultimate mentor, David Ortiz, whom Gammons recently labeled “the best person” in baseball. Two outs. Just two more outs. And we wouldn’t have to be inflicted with this infantile idolatry from the Old Towne Team.

5. Jeteupthemiddle
      March 20th, 2006 | 7:17 pm

Exactly. Arroyo wasn’t anything to write home about. He was a solid number 4 pitcher, with a cheap contract, that could be expendable.

I suppose what Boston is saying, is they are perfectly willing to use one of their 3 pitching prospects during the season should injuries happen to the rest of their staff.

And on the note about Arroyo’s contract…he took a “home town discount” to say with the Sox, and then they took advantage of the cheap contract to trade him. Good business I suppose.

6. Rich
      March 20th, 2006 | 9:39 pm

If I remember correctly, David Ortiz filled a very similar role for the Sox not very long ago…Maybe they’re hoping they can strike gold twice? Wily Mo will be in good company. He’ll have Papi to mentor him.

7. JohnnyC
      March 21st, 2006 | 6:15 pm

Maybe he can teach him that bat-flip after a home run. Real mature stuff like that. Something like that would’ve gotten him a chin high fastball from Petey in his next AB, baby. Book it.