• YES Network Messing With My Screen

Posted by on March 28th, 2006 · Comments (7)

For the first time, tonight, I noticed on YES that they’ve moved from the “box in the upper corner” to the “bar across the top of the screen” to display the inning, score, count, outs, runners on, pitch speed, etc., while the game is in progress.

Gosh, I hate it.

It’s like someone is holding a piece of paper, over my head, and just dropping it down in front of my face, far enough, so that it gets in the way of the top of my eye-balls.

Just give the guys in the booth an hourglass egg timer and tell them to cite the score and the inning each time it runs out (and then flip it over again) – and spare us all the Nintendo-like graphics.

Classic “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” material – if ever there was one.

Comments on YES Network Messing With My Screen

1. brockdc
      March 28th, 2006 | 11:51 pm

Ugh!

2. Jen
      March 28th, 2006 | 11:55 pm

OLN does that for hockey games. Which is even worse, because most of the time it’s right near where the action is. All that’s on the top of the screen is the glass and the stands.

3. baileywalk
      March 29th, 2006 | 8:21 am

God, is that thing annoying or what? Why do they have to change the graphics each year? The bar is so low that it nearly rests on the players’ heads. It’s incredibly distracting. They had a perfectly compact set of graphics in the left-hand corner. They should immediately go back to that.

March 29th, 2006 | 9:18 am

I have little use for the “Nintendo graphics” myself. I wish they would go back to the egg-timer like you mentioned, Steve (who did that first, was it Red Barber?), but I suppose if they did that, they wouldn’t have time to squeeze in plugs for various products

5. March 29th, 2006 | 9:33 am

I’ve just e-mailed the YES Network – providing the URL to this entry. If you have something to share on this, and want to be heard, please do post a comment here. Thanks!

6. Shaun P.
      March 29th, 2006 | 10:52 am

Ugh. I hate across the top lines like that. Many times the numbers are so small and squished together you can’t tell if a 3 is a 3 or an 8; if a 5 is a 5 or a 6, and vice versa.

Bring back the top left box, please!

7. JohnnyC
      March 29th, 2006 | 8:49 pm

Maybe it was just an experiment. I don’t recall seeing it before last night. It is awful, especially where it’s placed, reducing the size of your TV screen…and to think of the money I spent to get MORE screen space. Do these people watch their own channel?