• Why I Would Bat Jason Giambi 3rd This Year

Posted by on March 29th, 2006 · Comments (8)

I’ve noticed that Torre has been batting Jason Giambi 6th, a lot, this spring. Thinking about it, I would bat him 3rd.

If Damon and Jeter both reach, it makes it hard for teams to “shift” on Giambi. If they do shift, it makes turning the DP hard – and, if 3B is left open with the shift, Damon can just take off and swipe the bag.

Also, Giambi is a high OBA-guy. So, you want him in front of Sheffield and A-Rod in case they go deep.

Now, some might be concerned with Giambi being a DP machine – given his lack of speed. But, in 70% of his PAs last year, Jason either hit a fly ball or whiffed. (Further, last year, his GIDP% was 2.0.)

So, it just seems to make sense to go:

1. Damon
    2. Jeter
    3. Giambi
    4. A-Rod
    5. Sheffield
    6. Matsui

Yes, I know that’s L-R-L-R-R-L. But, when you’re talking A-Rod and Sheffield, it’s not like they have issues with RHP.

Comments on Why I Would Bat Jason Giambi 3rd This Year

1. baileywalk
      March 29th, 2006 | 3:14 pm

I agree, Steve. Even though I’d go Damon-Jeter-Giambi-A-Rod-Matsui-Sheff-Posada-Bernie-Cano. I think one of the main reasons Torre won’t do this is because Sheffield might be offended batting anywhere outside of the three or four hole. I wouldn’t think this was possible, but I’ve heard people mention it before, so it might have something to do with it (this team clearly doesn’t want an unhappy Sheff — and he’s all about “respect”).

2. March 29th, 2006 | 3:15 pm

You could literally put those 6 guy’s names in a hat and pick the lineup that way. You almost can’t go wrong.

You could even put the two big lefties (Giambi and Matsui) back-to-back because Godzilla rakes LHPs (.304-.363-.462-.825 vs LHP since 2003.

Personally, I’d like to see A-Rod bat third just because he’s the teams best hitter, and over the course of the season he’d get an extra 40-50 ABs hitting third instead of cleanup.

3. JeremyM
      March 29th, 2006 | 3:26 pm

Giambi should definitely bat 3rd, especially if he bats like he did last season. I always felt good with him at the dish from about June on. He needs to be in a spot where he can drive in runs. But since Sheffield loves to bat 3rd, I’m OK with Damon (we know he’s leading off so why even spend time worrying about it?), Jeter, Sheffield, A-Rod, Giambi, and then Matsui. Then Cano, Posada, and Williams/Phillips. More likely it will be Posada, Williams, Cano.

4. DownFromNJ
      March 29th, 2006 | 4:20 pm

I don’t like our only 3 right handed regulars being batted 2-3-4. It makes us vunerable to opposing bullpens.

Giambi getting on base at a .440 rate is wasted in the 6 hole. Would you rather have Arod, Matsui, and Sheffield have a man in front of him on base half the time or Cano, Bernie, and Posada?

5. Jeteupthemiddle
      March 29th, 2006 | 4:44 pm

I’m not concerned about his speed in a DP type of way, I’m concerned about his speed in a “blocking arod and sheffield from taking an extra base because he is a fat turd” kind of way.

6. March 29th, 2006 | 4:47 pm

Actually, Giambi is much better at going from 1st to 3rd than people realize:

7. JohnnyC
      March 29th, 2006 | 8:43 pm

Steve, I was about to cite the same thing about Giambi’s baserunning. He’s slow but he’s actually a good baserunner (as opposed to Posada who is both slow and clueless). I was going to say that a well-thought out bench would obviate concerns about being vulnerable to opposing bullpens but then I remembered we’re talking about a manager who would rather have both Miguel Cairo and Feliz Escalona on his very short bench than ANYONE who can hook a homerun around the rightfield foul pole in the Stadium (or has speed enough to steal a base)late in a game. Most closers are right-handed. Even Carlos Pena would be a worthwhile gamble. But…hey, that Scotty Erickson sure is pitching like sumbitch, ain’t he?

8. JeremyM
      March 29th, 2006 | 8:53 pm

Did you mean Scott Erickson or Donovan Osborne 2006? Has a good spring, somehow makes the roser, somehow sees action (probably in a big spot), gets shelled, gets waived, the end.