• April 13th vs. The Royals

Posted by on April 13th, 2006 · Comments (6)

In the 1996 World Series, Bernie Williams hit a HR off Greg McMichael (on a high change-up). After the game, Braves manager Bobby Cox was asked about the homer and he said something like “Bernie got a hanging change-up and did what he was supposed to do with that pitch – he hit the crap out of it.”

That’s how I see these games against the Royals. The Yankees are supposed to beat the crap out of Kansas City. So, these are good wins in my mind – as the Yankees did what they’re supposed to do.

But, the big story today is Randy Johnson. As this is being penned, I don’t know all the details on why he came out – just a rumor that it might be a strained oblique muscle. If this is true, and it’s bad, we could be looking at 6 weeks without the Big Unit.

Rich Harden (of the A’s) spent May 14 to June 20 on the disabled list last year with a strained left oblique muscle. The Indians’ C.C. Sabathia strained an oblique muscle on Opening Day this season and he’s pegged to miss 3-5 weeks.

If you apply these time tables to Johnson, it means you see him again on June 1st. And, if that’s true, folks, then that’s real bad news.

Comments on April 13th vs. The Royals

1. baileywalk
      April 13th, 2006 | 4:58 pm

Where did this rumor start? They said almost immediately on the air that he had not been pulled because of injury. He was all smiles after the game and said they took him out because he’s thrown so many pitches in his last two starts.

Don’t know if it’s true or not, but if it is, let me be the first to praise Torre and Gator. Torre let Johnson throw 100-pitch games back to back too much last year and it was obvious he wasn’t recovering well. If they really wanted to give him a break, I applaud them and hope they do it more often. It smells a bit like bullshit because the game was still tight. Hopefully in the future, if the game is out of control, they’ll leave Johnson in long enough to qualify for the win and get him some additional rest.

2. Jeteupthemiddle
      April 13th, 2006 | 5:48 pm

I think if it were a strained oblique muscle, they wouldn’t have allowed him to finish the inning. Torre just said he felt “tightness” from sitting during the long inning.

3. April 13th, 2006 | 8:01 pm

I heard it, about the oblique, during the game, from someone who said they heard it on the radio. Probably just a guess by SW and JS on CBS.

There is no doubt in my mind that Johnson felt something in this game. This line of “I pitched – it was time to give someone else a turn” is BS. Given the score, and the inning, you really think Johnson was cool turning the ball over to Proctor & Gamble (aka TS # 56)?

And, I can see why the Yankees would not want to make this public. They need to scramble for a 5th SP now as it is – why let the other guys know in advance that your ace is hurting now too?

Unit probably wants to see how he feels the AM after as well, before saying anything bad about his condition.

Time will yield the truth on this one.

April 13th, 2006 | 10:25 pm

Proctor & gamble… lol

Is there really a scramble for the 5th spot? They have options. Some aren’t pretty, but they have options…

5. brockdc
      April 14th, 2006 | 3:31 pm

I really wish they’d signed Millwood.

Proctor and Gamble. As James Hetfield once sang, “Sad but True.”

April 14th, 2006 | 4:11 pm

I really wish they’d signed Millwood.
      ======

I really wish they’d signed Pedro