• Damon Shirts In Beantown

Posted by on April 14th, 2006 · Comments (11)

From the student paper at B.U. -

Ever since the New York Yankees snatched Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox, Red Sox fans have harbored a deep resentment toward their division rivals, and since that time, “Yankees Suck!” chants became a fixture of New England sporting events.

Although the Red Sox banned the popular “Yankees Suck!” T-shirts in Fenway Park two years ago, T-shirt vendors tapped into their creative energy this off-season to come up with new digs against the Evil Empure.

While Yankee captain Derek Jeter and all-star third baseman Alex Rodriquez have long suffered the wrath of Red Sox Nation, Sox fans, not surprisingly, have found a new punching bag.

And the T-shirts show it.

Boston’s former center fielder and fan favorite Johnny Damon, who led the renegade Red Sox to a World Series title in 2004, is now the subject of T-shirts that read “Johnny Who?”, “From Jesus to Judas” — on his betrayal of the Sox — and “Johnny Demon.”

I wonder – where were the shirts for Boggs in 1993 and Clemens in 1999? Maybe it’s a “you can only do this after you’ve actually won one” thing?

Comments on Damon Shirts In Beantown

1. rbj
      April 14th, 2006 | 1:37 pm

And how many players have voluntarily gone straight from the Yankees to the Red Sox? Good players, that is.

2. MJ
      April 14th, 2006 | 2:44 pm

These pathetic little minds up there in Boston…ya gotta love that built-in inferiority complex they breed up there in the misery of New England. And to think, ARod was almost theirs, if not for the hen-pecking of the eggheads in their front office. I hate the Boston Red Sox and their fans so much.

3. April 14th, 2006 | 3:01 pm

Oh please. I live in Boston. I live through this shit every day of my life. The SECOND Damon signed with the Yankees I went out and got his name and number Yankees t-shirt. I LOVE rubbing it in Sox fans faces. I have two pics in my cubicle at work of the Damon press conference. I’ve had clients REFUSE to see me because of this. I love me some confrontation.

That’s why when the Yankees clinched the East last year I put on my Yanks hat, got some champagne, and head to Lansdowne St. Immature? Maybe, but I enjoyed myself.

4. Ric
      April 14th, 2006 | 3:57 pm

“These pathetic little minds up there in Boston…ya gotta love that built-in inferiority complex they breed up there in the misery of New England.”

Hey Sigmund Freud, thanks for the diagnosis. My question to you is what do t-shirts that demonize Damon for signing with his main rival have ANYTHING to do with this alleged inferiority complex? Putz comments like that are the reason so many people think most Yankee fans are brainless gorillas. but I forgot, Yankees fans don’t think about the Boston rivalry…

April 14th, 2006 | 4:05 pm

=========

6. April 14th, 2006 | 4:16 pm

“I don’t think the relationship with RSN & Damon was the same as it was with Clemens & Boggs”

Agreed. Damon was the poster-child for the “Idiots” that were the 2004 Red Sox. You wouldn’t believe how many people had Damon shirts and grew beards and long hair here in Boston. And he was probably a bigger sex symbol in Boston than any Hollywood celebrity.

7. MJ
      April 14th, 2006 | 10:09 pm

Ric, don’t EVER call a black man a gorilla. Reply here and I’ll give you my email and you can apologize. Or, you can let me know where you want to meet so I can clean your foul mouth.

8. April 14th, 2006 | 11:41 pm

Hey, if someone wants to call me a gorilla, I’d take it. If you’ve ever seen a gorilla close up, you would know they are beautiful, very strong, and smart. If someone thinks they’re putting me down by calling me a gorilla, the joke is on them.

April 15th, 2006 | 7:44 am

=========================================

C’mon, you know it wasn’t meant in that context.

10. Ric
      April 15th, 2006 | 3:41 pm

MJ – if you are serious then you are a major dumbass. good job inadvertently proving my point though… good luck with your undoubtedly unsuccessful life.

11. Ric