• April 18th @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on April 18th, 2006 · Comments (13)

Just imagine how bad the score would have been tonight if not for all those catches that Johnny Damon made in CF. Then again, it’s a shame that he almost got himself killed (banging into the wall) in a losing effort.

So, Game 1 of the 38 Special ones was not so special for the Yankees.

Personally, this one is painful for me because I’ve disliked Troy Glaus since 1998. I never enjoy to see him do well – and it’s worse when he does it against the Yankees.

Yes, it stinks to be below .500 again. And, yes, it’s painful to see the defensive play of Bernie in LF (running into Damon), Giambi at 1B (throwing away a ball), and Sheffield in RF (hot dogging an out into an error) today. And, yes, it’s upsetting to fall another game behind the Red Sox. And, yes, it looks like Chacon’s clock has struck midnight. But, all that takes a back seat to the “big” problem from today’s game – Randy Johnson’s lack of command.

As a standalone game, you can write off Unit’s performance tonight. However, given his situation in his last start, you have to now wonder about Johnson. And, without an effective Johnson, the Yankees are in Lo Mein City.

Hopefully it’s just a matter of Johnson and the old SkyDome not getting along.

Comments on April 18th @ The Blue Jays

1. baileywalk
      April 18th, 2006 | 11:06 pm

Why can’t Johnson pitch against the Blue Jays? He sucked against them last year and did again tonight. When Johnson isn’t good, he’s awful. He had NOTHING tonight. With the way he was throwing — sliders drifting over the plate, fastballs down the middle — I’m shocked he could get anyone out. I saw this last year, too: Johnson comes out of the gate and you see immediately that he has nothing. And he proceeds to serve up home run ball after home run ball. It’s an odd thing: Johnson is never able to battle with mediocre stuff. When he’s off, he’s basically the worst pitcher there is.

I wouldn’t get too down on Giambi about that throw. Unit sort of lazily ran to first and Jason was stuck in the middle. Plus he’s on a tear with the bat. Terrible base running mistake by Jeter tonight. We could have had something going with men on first and second with A-Rod and Giambi coming up.

Chacon’s stuff just isn’t the same this year. It’s not quite that people are adjusting to him. His curveball just isn’t sharp. If things remain the same, Clemens — or someone — will be replacing Chacon in the rotation. Just imagine a post-All Star rotation of RJ, Moose, Clemens, Wang and Pavano.

By the way, watching tonight’s game, I cannot wait for Pavano to get back. People may laugh at this thought, but he’s going to be a big addition to the club. They need him.

And seriously — when will they use Proctor as the fifth starter? Small isn’t ready and right now Proctor is better than Wright — by far.

2. brockdc
      April 19th, 2006 | 1:28 am

The thought of watching one of my favorite players of all time (Bernie) flail and flounder in the outfield and at bat for the rest of the season is flat-out depressing.

3. JJay
      April 19th, 2006 | 8:10 am

Those waitresses behind home plate in Toronto are pretty smokin’. Maybe RJ was distracted.

4. baileywalk
      April 19th, 2006 | 9:08 am

brock, Bernie doesn’t have the wheels he had three years ago, and he’s not the best corner outfielder in the world, and he did misplay an important ball a few games ago, but I wouldn’t say he’s “flailing and floundering.” He’s not a great fielder or hitter anymore; he’s now a once-great player who’s merely average. But that’s what happens when 40-year-olds don’t do ‘roids. They get old. I don’t understand why Torre is playing Bernie every day. It would be better for him and the team to rest Bernie now and again. I wouldn’t play Bubba any, because his bat is pitiful, but I certainly would give Andy Phillips a few at-bats.

5. rbj
      April 19th, 2006 | 9:56 am

Why was Chacon in the game? Is this a permanent/temporary move to the pen?

6. April 19th, 2006 | 10:17 am

They skipped his turn for the Wright start in Minny, plus with 2 off days this week, he’s in the pen. But, he’s not been removed from the rotation – yet.

7. rbj
      April 19th, 2006 | 10:26 am

Thanks Steve.
      I think I would rather have Chacon starting than Wright. Just going on past history (if that isn’t redundant.) To me, the only reason you start Jaret over Shawn is if Shawn is injured — or if he’s proven to stink up the joint this year.

8. hopbitters
      April 19th, 2006 | 11:37 am

Ah yes, we don’t want Bubba in there, because he can field and throw, but sucks with the bat (except for that stretch when they were playing him regularly and he hit for a while), as opposed to Bernie who can’t field or throw, but hey, he’s got that .581 OPS going for him.

Total games/AB
      Bernie : 12/42
      Phillips + Crosby : 13/9
      my blood pressure : 220/130

9. Shaun P.
      April 19th, 2006 | 11:40 am

Ditto what hopbitters said. ;)

10. baileywalk
      April 19th, 2006 | 12:06 pm

The idea that Bubba started hitting while he got in regularly is a myth.

Bubba had a total of 27 hits in 98 at-bats in ’05, exactly ONE extra-base hit, and a sparkling .304 OBP. Bubba CANNOT hit. He has never hit on ANY level. He has a ton of speed and that’s it.

If the choice is between Bubba in the field or Bernie as the DH, I’ll take Bernie every time. Bernie has no business being out in the field (unless Wang is pitching, when it doesn’t matter), but if his replacement out there is Bubba, it’s not worth it.

Even at this stage in his career, where he’s nearly done, Bernie is still a better hitter than Bubba Crosby.

This is why the Yankees should have taken Kevin Thompson instead of Crosby. At least with Thompson, who’s hitting well in AAA right now, there’s the POSSIBILITY he’ll hit. With Bubba, his failure is a foregone conclusion.

11. hopbitters
      April 19th, 2006 | 12:31 pm

Bubba ’05 :
      OBP .304 SLG .327 AVG .276 1 3B 1 HR

Bernie ’06 :
      OBP .295 SLG .286 AVG .262 1 2B

Bubba ain’t good, but if all else is equal, take the fielding. For the love of God, TAKE THE FIELDING.

Agreed on Thompson.

12. JJay
      April 19th, 2006 | 3:40 pm

Thanks hopbitters. I knew Bubba had the walk off against the O’s and I was at the 9/11 game where he hit the triple. I knew he had at LEAST two XBH :)

13. baileywalk
      April 19th, 2006 | 4:57 pm

My bad. I forgot the triple. Bubba had TWO extra-base hits. (He’s well on his way to getting at least five if he plays once every week.) As bad as Bernie has been hitting, he has 4 RBI in about 45 at-bats. Bubba has 14 in his career. I’ll take Bernie over Bubba as a hitter. Though all of this would be a moot point if Thompson made the team out of spring training.