• April 22nd vs. The Orioles

Posted by on April 22nd, 2006 · Comments (6)

Robert Louis Stevenson would love this Yankees team. Don’t get me wrong – I’m thrilled over the win today (and by the fine outing from Chacon). It’s just that it’s hard to believe how bad they look sometimes – when they can play so well at other times.

What’s most amazing about all of this is that New York, despite their inconsistent play so far this season, is only 2 games off the lead of the A.L. East at this moment.

Just luck? I’m not so sure. It seems like every team in the A.L. East can hit – but, it seems like they all also have questions about the back end of their starting rotations.

This leads me to believe that, while most years it takes about 95 wins to take the A.L. East, this season the team that manages 90 wins might just take the flag.

And, therefore, winning just 90 games in the east this season might just be a big accomplishment.

Comments on April 22nd vs. The Orioles

April 22nd, 2006 | 9:37 pm

I can’t see the Yanks or Sox winning only 90 games. There is a lot of baseball left in the season.

2. April 22nd, 2006 | 10:19 pm

Well, they both won exactly 95 last year. Would you say that they’re both the same team as last year – pitching and hitting-wise? And, would you say that the rest of the AL East is the same?

3. brockdc
      April 23rd, 2006 | 1:35 am

The pitching is about the same, factoring in drop-offs by Chacon, Wang, and Small, combined with slight upgrades to the bullpen.

The offense is only slightly better, with the addition of Damon. Bernie is this year’s Womack.

Even though CF has been upgraded, the defense is about the same, due to the diminishing range of Sheff, Jeter, Giambi, and Matsui.

To me, the division is only slightly better; but the league as a whole seems vastly improved. Cleaveland, Chicago, Oakland, Minnesota, Boston, Anaheim, and Detroit can beat anyone, anytime.

I realize how this “assessment” is a sabermatrician’s nightmare, but, based on all these anecdotal factors, I would be thrilled to see them win 95 games again.

April 23rd, 2006 | 8:35 am

=============

Both teams have made improvements, as for the rest of the teams in the division, it’ll be another two team race. Burnett’s elbow’s acting up again? Imagine that! Didn’t see that one coming

5. April 23rd, 2006 | 8:42 am

To me, it’s always about starting pitching. That’s what can win it or lose it for you. And, I think the Yankees were blessed with Small, Wang and Chacon last year. If they don’t repeat that blessing, then there’s no way that the Yankees are as good as they were last year.

April 23rd, 2006 | 9:58 am

===================
      So do we concede the division to the Red Sox?