• TSN Interview With Damon

Posted by on April 27th, 2006 · Comments (8)

It must be getting close to May 1st. The Johnny Damon features are popping up all over the place. The Sporting News has a nice one up now. This part caught my eye:

TSN: There’s a perception that the Yankees are corporate, the Red Sox more like a fraternity. Accurate?

DAMON: The guys we had in Boston definitely brought the fraternity and fun-loving side back to baseball. Over the years, the Red Sox fan base grew so much because of the players we had. We stepped out on the field and smiled, we goofed off and had long hair and dreads. Everybody dyed their hair or whatever, and we made baseball fun. People said, ‘This is the team I want to root for.’ I’m not sure they’re still that way because I’m not there.

New York has always been more corporate, but we’ve added some great personalities. Myself, Shawn Chacon, Jason Giambi — the whole world knows how great G is. A-Rod — he’s a great teammate, which is something I wouldn’t have realized on the outside looking in. Same with Gary Sheffield. The personalities on this team are incredible, and I think people will realize that this locker room isn’t like before.

Chacon, A-Rod, Giambi, Sheff………..but, no mention of Jeter? Hmm.

Comments on TSN Interview With Damon

1. RICH
      April 27th, 2006 | 4:33 pm

If he named 24 other guys but didn’t mention Jeter, then maybe you’d have something.

2. April 27th, 2006 | 5:11 pm

I can see your point if it was Posada not mentioned. You could say “Yeah, no Posada – but, no Bernie, Cano, or Matsui too.” But, isn’t “the captain” supposed to be a big part of the “incredible personalities on this team”?

3. Josh
      April 27th, 2006 | 5:19 pm

Steve,

Please don’t make something out of nothing here. You are starting to sound like the NY writers with your (sometimes) overly negative spin. We come here to get away from the lunacy that propels those writers to make tempests out of teapots and to create controversy where there’s none. If this continues, you might need to change your name to Selena Roberts.

4. JohnnyC
      April 27th, 2006 | 5:21 pm

Steve, that’s a reach.

April 27th, 2006 | 5:22 pm

============
      The names dropped were names the Yanks acquired by FA or trade

6. April 27th, 2006 | 5:58 pm

Steve, I think Damon’s point was to call out the players who have been added since the hyper-professional reputation was born in the days when O’Neill and Bernie and Mo led the team. Jeter was part of that old guard. I’m sure he’s perfectly well-liked and respected, but Damon’s point was in identifying the new players.

7. April 27th, 2006 | 5:59 pm

Sorry for following-up on myself – Raf said the same thing as me, more succinctly. Also, notice that Damon said “added” – he’s talking about players added since the last round of championships.

8. April 27th, 2006 | 8:00 pm

That’s an excellent and fair point – on the “added” part – - I did not pick up on that when I first read it. Thanks!