• May 11th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on May 11th, 2006 · Comments (17)

If I had to guess right now, at this moment, I would say that Matsui is going to miss 6 to 8 weeks with his broken left wrist. That seems to be the timetable for baseball players with these things. (That’s what they said when Jeremy Reed and Derrek Lee broke their wrists.)

Back on February 26th, I wondered what would happen if Godzilla or Sheffield went down for an extended period. Now, with both out, it’s even more scary.

It probably means a lot more PA for Bubba Crosby and Bernie Williams – knowing Torre. That’s like spotting the other team 2 free innings in a game – because you know that Bubba & Bernie are a lock for 6 easy outs per game (combined).

I would much rather see New York call up Kevin Thompson – and then play him in LF and Melky Cabrera in RF. And, just leave them alone.

Regarding the game today, Jim Kaat said it best on the YES coverage: Whoever wins this game will be happy to get the win and whoever will lose the game will regret all the chances that they had to win it.

So many Yankees looked like they were playing hung over tonight. (And, for what it’s worth, I don’t believe what Giambi said to Kay – when asked why he showed up at the park in the same clothes as yesterday. Superstitious? Yeah, sure. Sounds more like a “I hit a HR against the Red Sox” night out on the town.)

Bottom line, now, with Sheffield and Matsui out, it’s time for Damon to start hitting better – and for guys like Giambi and A-Rod to be on their game everyday. (And, Jeter, Cano and Posada can just keep doing what they’re doing.) Otherwise, we’re going to start seeing more and more games where the Yankees only score three runs.

Comments on May 11th vs. The Red Sox

1. baileywalk
      May 11th, 2006 | 11:53 pm

Matsui is going to be out three months. The Yankees have no choice but to call up Thompson. Unless they want to play Bubba every day or have no fourth outfielder if Bernie DHs.

Matsui and Sheff being out at the same time really shortens the lineup. But it won’t feel like the end of the world if Melky is able to play in right every day and they actually let Thompson hit once in a while (something he can do, which Bubba can’t).

If you want to push away the tears, there were some good things: Chacon battled against a good team; Villone pitched out of a huge jam (though took a hard loss); and Farnsworth looked great. (The bad news on the pitching end is that Proctor turned into the old Proctor, and Mo once again came in and gave up a run.)

Steve, exactly why are you calling out Giambi? He’s been carrying the offense from day one. That sentence implies that he, like A-Rod, has been streaky this year. I hardly think you can compare what Giambi has done to someone like Posada, who’s been decent but fairly silent.

Right now the Yankees need a healthy Pavano back, and for Giambi to continue to carry them, with Damon, Jeter, Cano, A-Rod and Posada doing their jobs. If Melky is the hitter people think he is, I think the team will survive. Though I hope this inspires Sheff to get his ass back here sooner.

And the Giambi-in-the-same-clothes thing: dude is married now; the party days are long over; and since he has over twenty home runs against Boston, I don’t think it’s anything he celebrates anymore.

2. Beantown Bomber
      May 11th, 2006 | 11:54 pm

Cash is definitely on the phone tonight trying to make some moves to solve our outfield woes. The solution? Two words: Alfonso. Soriano.

3. May 11th, 2006 | 11:57 pm

Soriano? Gosh, no.

baileywalk – party hounds like Giambi don’t stop because they get married. And, while Giambi has carried the team to date, if he’s partying – all night and morning – the night before a big Boston game – that’s a problem. no?

4. JeremyM
      May 12th, 2006 | 1:11 am

Or maybe he really is superstitious? Who knows, ballplayers can be a little nuts. Poor Matsui looked so depressed leaving the stadium. This guy has really let the pressures of the new deal get to him (I think) and this has just got to kill him, knowing he can’t get on that field. That said, it looked kind of like a clumsy try on the catch attempt. And truth be told, he hasn’t been hitting enough or playing a good enough field that the Yankees will really miss him, and maybe he can save that hot streak he’s bound to get for when he comes back.

What a miserable game. I wasn’t that impressed with Chacon myself, the guy was just throwing crap up there all night and the defense bailed him out time after time. But those things happen and I still like the guy pitching every 5 days. I also loved how Morgan kept going on and on about how ticked he should be after being pulled, and when Proctor got the out they cut to Chacon smiling and clapping like a team player. I still don’t get how guys like Alex Gonzalez and then Harris are getting big hits. Anyone else starting to get worried about Mo? He isn’t putting guys away right now, but he does seem to go through a spell every year and his usage has been erratic to say the least.

For the love of God DFA Sturtze. Can’t believe Torre keeps going to that well. There are 4-5 guys in AAA right now (at least) that could do the job better than he can right now.

I agree on Thompson, let the guy play and let’s see what he has. But we all know Bernie will be in left until Sheff gets back.

And now we see why Cairo should not be playing first. Torre thinks this stuff is cute but it’s getting really old. And if A-Rod makes that throw he’s crucified in tomorrow’s papers.

5. JeremyM
      May 12th, 2006 | 1:26 am

Never mind, Reese got the call. Just let Bubba play then.

6. brockdc
      May 12th, 2006 | 2:06 am

WTF? Why are Torre and Cashman so reluctant to put the best players on the field? Cairo playing first? Bubba in right? Terrible Sturtze in with the game on the line AGAIN? No more Melky? Reese called up over Thompson? Can someone pretty please put this into some kind of logical context for me?

7. Yu Hsing Chen
      May 12th, 2006 | 6:44 am

I’m starting to have trouble seeing why people continue to think Bubba is auto-out when he is putting up .259/.355/.370 … and with a very obvious huge split between when he starts or when he doesn’t.. he went 2 for 3 with a stand up triple today

Watching his swing, I can’t find any more reason to back up the argument that he’s complete garbage… he swings fast.. don’t really go after bad pitches use all fields and he can out leg a lot of things.. the only fault i can see so far is that from time to time he tries to pull a big HR swing on and very rarely gets the intended results.. and even then he is still surely more servicable offesnively than 95% of the 9th hole hitters out there even if he stays at his current rate.

Look, if Melky can hit off Beckett and Schilling .. I’m definately will to give him quiet a few starts …

A outfield of Bubba/Damon/ Melky will miss a lot of slugging… but it should be pretty decent otherwise. with a lot more range to boot, (Which should make up a bit on the lack of slugging.. when you consistently rob the other team of hits..)

And the Yankee lineup still is stacked with power up the middle… this is bad news but it’s not nearly the end of the world… losing Matsui and sheff is not nearly the equivilent of Boston losing Manny and Ortiz. espically not when the replacements seem more than functional.

If this works out, I hope that when Sheff gets back he DH most of the time.. and Bernie sits.. that would be a pretty good combination.

8. MJ
      May 12th, 2006 | 8:34 am

Bailey, I don’t mean to single you out so please don’t take offense but I find it ironic that you can say “I hope this inspires Sheff to get his ass back here sooner” when you’re also the biggest Pavano apologist on this website. Sheffield will come back when he’s healthy, of that I have no doubt. It’s Pavano, whose motivation and talent, I worry about.

9. baileywalk
      May 12th, 2006 | 9:24 am

The reason the Yankees are bringing up Kevin Reese is because they plan to play Bubba every day. Obviously the guy brought up is going to sit on the bench and come in as a defensive replacement.

MJ, I’m not questioning Sheffield. Unlike others, I think Sheff has the right to take his time, not play hurt, and not take a cortisone shot in his wrist. I simply meant, Matsui AND Sheff being out of the lineup really shortens it, we’ll score a lot less runs, I sure HOPE Sheffield gets back soon. I’m not questioning Sheff. He played hurt last year and he’s a man in my book.

I also think the same thing of Pavano, though. He was hurt last year and to start this year, and though everyone comes up with this nonsense that he’s “scared” and that he doesn’t want to play, I think it’s bullshit. He has an injury history and when a pitcher doesn’t feel right, the best thing to do is to get healthy. Plus he played injured last year and it was a complete disaster.

May 12th, 2006 | 9:29 am

================

Who cares? It was a NIGHT GAME. You may have something of a point if it were a day game.

I haven’t kept up with transactions, but is Phillips hurt? Released?

May 12th, 2006 | 9:36 am

==========
      From time to time, it happens. That was a nice pitch that Harris hit, gotta give him credit for that.

I’m not worried about Mo. It happens.

12. baileywalk
      May 12th, 2006 | 9:40 am

There will be some interesting things to watch after this game, re: Torre.

He instantly loses trust with his relief pitchers if they don’t work magic every time he uses them. Is this finally the last straw with Sturtze? Does he finally get cut? And does he finally trust Farnsworth, who struck out Papi and Manny?

And does he continue to stick Bernie in right, even though his play — coupled with a bad throw by Jeter — lost the game?

13. JohnnyC
      May 12th, 2006 | 10:28 am

It wasn’t a good throw but, for chrissake, Andy Phillips or even Giambi would have made that tag play. And brock and Jeremy, this Cairo stuff is definitely not cute (playing people out of position especially when there are perfectly adequate alternatives). Wild thought but we could probably pick up Jose Guillen from the Nats (Bowden’s stupid enough to accept Colter Bean and Carlos Pena in return). Alright, I’m exaggerating. Guillen wouldn’t be as bad an idea as Mondesi was and Torre’s alleged strong suit is dealing with “problem” types.

14. May 12th, 2006 | 10:31 am

At this point, I’m not sure what makes Melky and Thompson not easy outs. Bernie’s hitting .355 in May.

15. May 12th, 2006 | 10:38 am

How many PA does Bernie have in May?

16. May 12th, 2006 | 10:52 am

I just checked, Bernie went 3 for 5 on May 3rd against TB. Take that out of his May stats and he’s not doing all that well.

17. hopbitters
      May 12th, 2006 | 11:59 am

When we are consistently losing games on defense, is it really so bad to put our best outfielder at any position in the field? I tend not to give defense a whole lot of credit over offense, because the difference between a good defender and a league average defender isn’t generally a whole lot. In this case, however, we don’t have league average defenders. Matsui is out, Sheff is out, Bernie wouldn’t play OF at any level above single-A where Joe Torre wasn’t the manager. Bubba should be out there every day. He’s not that awful offensively anyway. He’s putting up an OPS over .700 (.355/.370) which isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s good enough in this lineup.

Bernie should never be in the field again, no matter what he hits.

The Cairo at first thing is indefensible. So to speak.

We do need to bring at least one of Thompson or Reese up. I suspect Melky could cut it in right if he was given a chance, but in any case, we still need at least one backup.

On the positive side, we came close to winning the game, despite Sheff being out, Matsui going down in the first, and the gross managerial incomptence. Anyone else think RSN is spiking the green tea?