• May 13th vs. The A’s

Posted by on May 13th, 2006 · Comments (10)

You know, Big Stein calls out A-Rod, and then Rodriguez starts launching bombs in just about every game. That Georgie, he’s a genius, no? The homer that Alex hit today was Hobbsian (to say the least).

At this rate, Everyday Scottie Proctor is going to appear in 76 games this season and throw 116 IP. Does Torre realize that he’s going to cook this kid’s arm?

Now, part of the problem, to me, has been Tanyon Sturtze – in the sense that he’s been a mess and that led to the need to call on Proctor more often.

I see now that Sturtze was placed on the 15-day disabled list after the game because of soreness in his pitching shoulder. And, the Yanks purchased the contract of Scott Erickson from Columbus.

I don’t get the Erickson choice at all. He’s allowed 22 base runners in 17 IP in Triple-A and has an ERA of 4.24. That’s the best replacement available right now?

Lastly, note that the Yankees have now won 10 of their last 13 games. That’s the great news. The bad news is that those three losses all came from the Boston Red Sox.

Comments on May 13th vs. The A’s

1. baileywalk
      May 13th, 2006 | 11:23 pm

I love the Yankees — I was born into a Yankee-loving family — and I root for this team, but I hate Torre and I hate the front office. SCOTT ERICKSON? That’s who they bring up? Not Beam or Cox or Manning or even Matt Smith? This is the stupidest move I’ve ever seen. It’s an old Yankee move — putting a washed-up loser on the roster for no conceivable reason. He can’t get AAA hitters out — how do they expect him to get major-leaguers out?

This move is so depressing. Just when you think the team has changed, they make the same stupid mistakes. I’m simply stunned by this. Instead of bringing back up Smith, who didn’t give up a run, or promoting Beam, who’s dominating AA, they bring up the has-been. Beautiful. I’m sure Torre loves this move. Nothing like watching a veteran stink it up.

As for the actual game today: Nice to see Wright pitch well (for the most part). My question is: what exactly took so long for Gator to tell him to pitch aggressively with the fastball? He just realized he needed to remind him this?

And who do you think Torre trusts less, Melky, who he took out for Bubba, or Farns, who had to see Small (!) start to warm up when he walked a batter?

2. JeremyM
      May 13th, 2006 | 11:38 pm

Torre is turning into Junior Soprano right in front of our eyes. There’s no rhyme or reason to a lot of his moves–Small was actually warming up in the 9th?!?!?! As far as Erickson, I have to blame Cashman for this. Torre may have requested him, but if Cashman really is the GM he needs to be smarter than this. Of course, Cash probably realizes that if he does bring up a rookie he’ll just rot; on the other hand that’s probably better than risking Torre bringing in Erickson in a big spot, which he most surely will. I would agree that this is the stupidest move except I just saw Wayne Franklin called up last year and then used in a huge spot on his first day with the team. I suppose if Erickson bombs, Torre can always pick up Donovan Osborne.

Also, I would add Mendoza to the list, sure he’s not a youngster but he has great numbers so far in AAA. Strange that Torre wouldn’t want him, he must’ve accidentally made coffee in the green tea pot or something back in 2001.

Crosby coming in to play defense for anyone but Bernie Williams is a real head scratcher. How long until that costs a game?

Anyway, it was a good win–and who’s to say Guidry hasn’t told him that? Wright is known for being kind of a hard-head.

3. JohnnyC
      May 13th, 2006 | 11:47 pm

bailey and Jeremy, I’m amazed at the ability of Mr. Torre to consistently and endlessly leave me completely speechless…ERICKSON? First, we’re supposed to buy this bushwa about Sturtze “deceiving” his manager about his ailing shoulder. (Proof positive that Torre is really asleep through most of the game) Then, he blackmails the organization into calling up Mr. Lisa G. Some brainwashed boob on another blog blamed “Tampa.” Sure, the organization that has Matt Smith, T.J. Beam, J.B. Cox, and others available to choose from would rather promote a guy who’s washed up and is in Columbus as a favor to his buddy Giambi. Yeah, Jason Giambi now runs the front office. And Torre just skates with the media and these benighted fans. Sheesh. Jeremy, you have to realize that if George can’t fire the guy, how much power over him does Cash really have? I agree he should have stopped this shit a long time ago but Cash probably feels strangely subordinate to the legendary “4 rings” guy. So does Erickson throw “harder” than Ramiro Mendoza? Isn’t that the metric by which Torre lives? No, it’s just another transparent excuse for not knowing what one’s doing.

4. Don
      May 14th, 2006 | 1:02 am

They were not bringing up someone from AA who isn’t close to major league ready.

The Torre bashing has now grown insane.

I do not want Erickson however.

5. Yu Hsing Chen
      May 14th, 2006 | 3:27 am

Arragh, can’t they do something else besides getting a has been to replace a never was? if you want possible has beens Aaron Small is still in the pen you know… (actually. if he really lost it than he is a has been + a never was..)

Bring up a extra bench guy.. try out one of the younger guys.. ANYTHING.. jesus… now tomorrow Joe will trott Erickson out there to blow a lead or a close game..

6. JeremyM
      May 14th, 2006 | 10:10 am

I don’t know Don, if anyone can convince me that the Yanks are winning in spite of Torre, more power to them. even if Sturtze was lying about being injured, anyone could tell that he had nothing, yet he was brought in for big spot after big spot. And despite being injured, we’re not talking about a proven guy being hurt and not pitching up to ability, we’re talking about Tanyon Sturtze, the guy that had maybe 2 months as a good reliever for the Yanks last season and has one of the highest ERAs for a guy with 10 years in the league of all time, right up there with Jose Lima. Then we’ve got Villone, who has pitched pretty well and is buried because Torre can’t figure out that despite being left-handed, he can get right-handers out. And Torre is the one who wanted Erickson, so you can blame him (or give him the credit if we’re only so lucky) for that move. And how to explain Bernie staying on the field for 9 innings while Cabrera sits, who has played the field pretty well in AAA. Anyway, I think Torre does some things well on the team, but in the bullpen and in personnel moves, he’s over his head.

7. baileywalk
      May 14th, 2006 | 10:11 am

Don, the difference between AA and AAA is slim. And Beam isn’t just pitching “well” in AA, he’s utterly and completely dominating it to the tune of a 0.35 ERA. He throws hard and goes after hitters with his plus fastball. In other words, he’s the total opposite of Sturtze AND he can be used for innings at a time (most of his relief appearances in Trenton were 1-inning-plus).

I don’t understand how you can trot out the “Torre bashing has become insane” line when you, too, disagree with this dumb move.

I’d rather bring up a guy from AA or AAA who has potential than sit back and watch the eventual Erickson meltdown. What’s worse, though, is that Erickson might have a good game or two and then Torre will fall in love with him and keep him clenched to his bosom forever. He’ll watch him fail and fail and never lose faith in him. Why? Because Torre is one bizarre fellow when it comes to pitchers. Which is the reason Tanyon is even on the team in the first place. Maybe the best thing is for Erickson to just bomb and bomb quickly. Then maybe Cashman will straighten his wig and work this mess out.

8. JohnnyC
      May 14th, 2006 | 12:43 pm

Torre is quoted this morning as saying Sturtze is a “player’s player” and that he “loves the guy.” You draw your own conclusions, Don. And I sincerely doubt that Torre even remembers who T.J. Beam is, even though I’m sure he offered to give him his autograph in the parking lot this Spring and told him to stay in school, study, and hope the Yankees draft him this summer. By the time Beam explained he was actually on the 40 man roster, Torre was driving along the causeway.

9. JohnnyC
      May 14th, 2006 | 12:46 pm

I think that people bending over backwards to make excuses for Torre is getting insane.

10. hopbitters
      May 14th, 2006 | 12:52 pm

You piqued my curiosity, Jeremy, so I took a look at the worst ERA vs the league for the modern era (through 2005) with at least Sturtze’s IP. He came in at 39, with .65 earned runs more than the league. I’m pretty sure this season has moved him right up the list. It’s a shame he’s “hurt” or Torre probably would have let him go for the record.