• Mitch Jones

Posted by on May 19th, 2006 · Comments (14)

From the AP:

The New York Yankees put Bubba Crosby on the 15-day disabled list Friday, the third outfielder they’ve sidelined in the last two weeks.

Sluggers Gary Sheffield (left wrist and hand) and Hideki Matsui (broken left wrist) were already out going into this weekend’s Subway Series against the Mets.

The Yankees purchased the contract of outfielder Mitch Jones from Triple-A Columbus. A four-time All-Star in the minors, the 28-year-old Jones has never played in the majors.

The last time that Mitch Jones was considered a prospect was in 2002 – and then it was more based off the fact that he broke Bob Horner’s single season HR at Arizona State (before the Yankees drafted him in the 7th round of the 2000 draft).

At Columbus this season, to date, he’s batting .239 – yes, .239 – albeit with 6 HR and 21 BB in 39 games. And, he’s whiffed 41 times in 134 ABs.

In the OF, he plays like a 1B.

Boy, Kevin Thompson must be feeling great today. It’s pretty obvious now that Cashman and Torre don’t think he can help the big team – when you see people like Kevin Reese and Mitch Jones getting the call before him.

Comments on Mitch Jones

1. May 19th, 2006 | 4:42 pm

Well, there was a lot of talk the last time he (Thompson) was passed over (in 2005 for Melky) that he get more than a little upset about not being considered for the promotion. Same type of talk came up this time too (with Melky again). That’s just scuttlebut for now though – no real substancial source for it but if it did happen, it probably didn’t help his stock with the Yankees and may have affected this turn of events.

Still, between Reese & Jones…I guess I don’t blame him. With Reese, I can understand it a little more since all they needed was someone to sit on the bench…now they actually need someone who can play…and they bring up Jones instead.

2. MJ
      May 19th, 2006 | 4:49 pm

I just don’t understand Brian Cashman. He expects the Yanks to win games with an OF that includes heavy doses of Bernie and backups of Reese and Jones?

What the hell is wrong with this GM? I don’t care if Kevin Thompson had a 7th-grade style tantrum, we need him up here. This move is indefensible.

3. hopbitters
      May 19th, 2006 | 4:50 pm

See my new Cashman theory a few posts back. Maybe he’s holding onto Thompson because he knows Torre will misuse and abuse him like the other callups. If he can keep sending up guys like Erickson, Reese, and Jones, why should he sacrifice Thompson or Beam to the purgatory that is Joe Torre? And at the same time, if he can send up enough bad players, maybe that’ll hasten Joe’s departure. Until they get a manager that will use him (Bowa?), at least Thompson will be getting playing time.

4. hopbitters
      May 19th, 2006 | 4:54 pm

Or he could just be an idiot.

5. May 19th, 2006 | 5:37 pm

I went to some spring training games in March and witnessed an outfield of Reese, Thomspson and Jones, whose uniform numbers added up to 232 (70+72+90).

If we get to the point where I have to see that at the Stadium, I’m gonna put 232 bullets in my head.

6. Don
      May 19th, 2006 | 6:38 pm

Pavano to have elbow surgery. A bone chip was discovered somewhere near his elbow though it seems not actually in the elbow itself or so Joe Torre said. Whether he will miss the rest of 2006 is not known until they ‘scope’ him.

As I said in another thread where people were bashing Pavano — he might actually be hurt.

May 19th, 2006 | 6:54 pm

===========================
      Yep, add another injury to the list.

I’ve never doubted the veracity of his injury (injuries?). He has for the most part been injury-prone, so this should come as no suprise.

8. brockdc
      May 19th, 2006 | 7:23 pm

I’m trying to be as measured as possible in my criticism of Cahman, due to his recent autonomy. With that said, he has made some unquestionably bone-headed moves thus far. The re-ups of Sturtze and Williams were short-sighted but somewhat understandable at the time; the promotion of Erickson is inexcusable. We keep saying that Cash needs to Torre-proof this team. Who’s going to Cash-proof it?

9. JeremyM
      May 19th, 2006 | 8:34 pm

And maybe the mysterious Tampa faction is being exonerated? These moves are nuts. My only surprise is that it wasn’t T-Long that got the call.

May 19th, 2006 | 10:00 pm

ok, I am convinced RJ is either old, hurt, or old and hurt. Something hasn’t been right since Kansas City…

11. JeremyM
      May 19th, 2006 | 10:23 pm

I honestly think he’s going to retire soon. He’s done. And Mo isn’t looking good. It’s amazing the team has won as many as they have–all the injuries, inept managing, Mo’s struggles, etc.

12. JohnnyC
      May 19th, 2006 | 11:03 pm

As you know, every game on the schedule is of equal importance, whether it’s the Red Sox , the Mets, or the Royals (or, say, the A’s). You play them the right way…with consistency in your routine, making the best percentage decisions that will ensure success over the long haul. So, fellas, never waste your closer on the road by having them pitch the 9th inning in a tie game. You save that for home, where you have last licks. What? Mr. Torre used Rivera in a tie game on the road and…lost…wasting a bullet in Mo’s gun? Well, Queens is close to home, isn’t it? Geez, what do you guys want? Consistency?

13. JohnnyC
      May 19th, 2006 | 11:05 pm

As I said, it’ll be an accomplishment if we can survive the next two weeks without falling more than 4 games off the division lead. Uh, make that 5 games.

14. Don
      May 20th, 2006 | 1:48 pm

JohnnyC — Joe Torre basher extraordinaire — Farnsworth had to leave the game with a back problem. I had no problem with trying to Mo the Mets at that point.