• Colter Bean

Posted by on May 20th, 2006 · Comments (6)

From the Sports Network -

One day after being called up the Yankees sent outfielder Mitch Jones to Triple-A Columbus and recalled pitcher Colter Bean.

Bean is an interesting story. So many fans and analysts feel that he should have been in the big leagues already. Shoot, there’s a even a website devoted to getting him called up to the majors.

He has been on a roll this season – with the exception of his last Triple-A appearance. From The Columbus Dispatch today -

Colter Bean, who had only given up two earned runs in his last 25 2 /3 innings, relieved Mendoza to begin the seventh. Richmond torched him for three runs on two doubles, a hit batter and a walk.

Personally, when I saw him pitch for the Yankees last year, I was surprised at how bad he looked in a uniform. And, I guess he was concerned about it too – enough to try and get in better shape.

From what I’ve read, Bean does not throw hard and relies on his funky motion to trick batters.

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with that – Doug Jones (also a bad body pitcher) did it for a long time. (If you consider throwing in 846 major league games a long time.) And, Jones didn’t get a legit crack at the majors until he was 30-years-old. (Bean is twenty-nine now.)

Can Colter Bean be another Doug Jones?

Well, to do that, he’s going to need a chance. And, to get a chance, with Torre (who loves to use “experienced pitchers” like a Scott Erickson), then Bean is going to have to be lights-out the very first time that he gets into a game – and keep doing that each time until he gets into Joe’s circle of trust.

And, if Bean cannot get out of the gate with success this season, then he’ll end up just like people such as Jay Tessmer, Dale Polley, and Joe Ausanio.

In other words, my advice to Bean is: Don’t screw it up kid.

Comments on Colter Bean

1. Jen
      May 20th, 2006 | 11:39 pm

Well, once Farnsworth’s back clears up (which will be soon hopefully) I doubt Bean will be in the Bronx for long. They’ll send him down again for another bat on the bench.

In other news, the Yanks are auditioning Richard Hidalgo in Tampa. If he can get into game shape he may be a better option than Magellan, no?

2. May 21st, 2006 | 8:31 am

Thanks for the tip Jen.

3. baileywalk
      May 21st, 2006 | 10:32 am

Bean puts up insane numbers every year, but he’s not a legit prospect at all, and he basically shot-puts the ball up to the plate, which makes it hard for him to throw strikes. We saw this in his spring training appearances and his two innings in the Bronx. I sort of like that they’re giving him this shot, but what exactly did Matt Smith do wrong that he won’t get called back up? And what more does T.J. Beam have to do?

I guess they think Bean can take over the longman role for a week or something. But I’m guessing that he doesn’t even get into a game — unless the Yanks are down by 12.

May 21st, 2006 | 11:46 am

I agree that he isn’t a legit prospect, but I’m sure he can be a better option than Sturtze or Erickson…

I’m not sure why Smith or Beam isn’t getting the call either, but a few moves the last couple of seasons have had me scratching my head.

As for “bad body type,” I don’t care if he’s built like an adonis, or Adrian Adonis for that matter, as long as he gets results out on the mound.

5. JohnnyC
      May 21st, 2006 | 12:46 pm

Torre has probably (in this case, correctly) pegged Bean as a righty specialist (a ROOGY?)akin to Chad Bradford or Byung Yun Kim. Considering Mr. Torre’s belief that a relief pitcher should be able to get lefties and righties out (even Mike Myers), you can see why Bean is not his flavor of the day. If you can make an argument for the need for a lock-down righty specialist…well, you can’t. I’m mystified as to why the Yankees have not traded him to an organization that needs a ROOGY (Oakland?).

6. hopbitters
      May 22nd, 2006 | 4:21 pm

> …or Adrian Adonis for that matter…

There’s a reference you don’t see every day. Didn’t he come out on the short end of a run-in with a moose?