• May 21st @ The Mets

Posted by on May 21st, 2006 · Comments (13)

Today, on May 21, twenty-one Yankees reached base and only 3 scored. I guess they never heard of “get ‘em on, get ‘em over, and get ‘em in”?

I’m really not sure what to make of this series. On one hand, I want to say that the Yankees were lucky (with the miracle of yesterday) not to get swept – and, that’s at least something. On the other hand, I want to say that the Yankees should have won all three of these games – with a little better pitching in the first game and a little better hitting in the game tonight. And, that’s the stuff to keep you up at night.

What probably bugs me the most now is knowing that many Mets fans will be lined-up and waiting for me at work tomorrow morning – forgetting the fact that all three games in this series were one-run affairs that could have gone either way – and those Met-heads will be ready to tell me about how great the Mets are now and how lousy the Yankees are this year.

All I want to know is this: When I look at the Mets today, I see Glavine, Pedro, Wagner, Delgado, Floyd and Beltran – all big Free Agent signings sans Delgado who was a huge salary grab by the Mets (because the Marlins needed to dump his huge contract). So, if the Mets do win “it” this year, are we allowed to say “They bought it!” (just like Yankees fans have had to hear each time the Yanks won)?

I’m guessing, since we didn’t hear it about the Red Sox (that much) in 2004, when they bought Schilling, Foulke, Manny, and Damon (among others), that we won’t hear it about the Mets this year (should they win).

Well, regardless if we hear it or not, it’s the truth. And, if need be, I’m going to “Edith Ann” it as much as I can – with the hope that at least some people get it.

Comments on May 21st @ The Mets

1. Yu Hsing Chen
      May 21st, 2006 | 11:51 pm

This felt a lot like that crazy 4-2 lost against Tampa… we should have won……

On the brighter side, Bernie went 3 for 3 with 2 walks today o_O albit his “double” probably will be a baseball’s funniest plays entry

2. JohnnyC
      May 21st, 2006 | 11:55 pm

Funny enough, Steve, but McCarver brought that very point up late in Saturday’s game. Joe Buck (I still think of Jon Voight in Midnight Cowboy whenever I hear his name)countered that the Mets have a “fine blend of youth and veterans,” trying to make the argument that the Yankees (whom he hates) did buy championships while the Mets (whom he just thinks are silly)are not. There are only 3 players on the entire Mets 25 man roster who are products of their system (Reyes, Wright, Heilman). Nice “blend.” No one got bent out of shape that the 2004 Red Sox were the 2nd oldest team in baseball and had a 50% payroll advantage over the Cardinals. Certainly not Bud Selig. And Gammons had his Red Sox cap on tonight, musing that ARod would have been more appreciated with Boston than he is with New York. Sure. Going 3 for 26 in first inning ABs this season would have just made Red Sox Nation hug him to their collective bosom. Can Gammons be thrown out of the HOF? By petition? Please.

3. brockdc
      May 22nd, 2006 | 12:49 am

How many times tonight was Stinnet up in crucial situations? I haven’t checked the box score yet, but I’ll bet he left at least six men on. If Posada could’ve gone, the Yanks win this game and take 2 of 3.

4. brockdc
      May 22nd, 2006 | 12:53 am

Just checked. Stinnett left exactly six men on. That’s to be expected. A-Rod, on the other hand, left 7 on. Ouch.

5. Don
      May 22nd, 2006 | 1:08 am

I’m so tired of A-Fraud. His errors against the Bosox, his lack of clutch hitting in games like this.

Is it any wonder that the year the Bosox tried to trade for A-Fraud the Yankees grabbed him instead and the “curse” was reversed?

Trade him after this season.

May 22nd, 2006 | 8:45 am

Trade him after this season.
      ===============================

To & for whom?

The 2004 collapse was a team event, not just ARod’s. It’s just the laws of averages catching up to the Yanks; as many times the Yanks have pwned the Sox, it was only a matter of time before the tables were turned.

I’ll take Rodriguez over Aaron Boone and Alfonso Soriano any day.

May 22nd, 2006 | 8:51 am

=========================
      Every team has bought a championship, I really don’t understand what the big deal is.

Money’s a resource, like anything else.

I’ve really been getting annoyed with the lack of quality baseball coverage. Good thing we have blogs, eh?

8. rbj
      May 22nd, 2006 | 9:28 am

Only the Yankees buy championships, unlike the Az Diamondbacks who skillfully sheparded Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson up through their well established farm system.

9. baileywalk
      May 22nd, 2006 | 9:45 am

I’m not an A-Rod basher, but my God, does anyone else ground into so many inning-ending, rally-killing double plays?

Sanchez can’t throw a strike. Bases are loaded. Giambi lifts a ball to get one run in. Now A-Rod steps up with first and second and one out. I wanted him to get that hit, but if I’m being honest I was also pretty sure he was going to end the inning with one swing. And that’s pretty sad — since he’s “the best player in baseball.” Obviously it’s easier to remember the failures than the successes, but it always seems like he’s killing a rally. (At least we have that home run against Schilling to watch over and over again.)

I knew exactly what would happen with Small: first time through the order, they won’t hit him, but then the second time they see him they’ll start beating his brains in. And that’s what happened. Get Small off this team. Get Erickson off this team (though he had a clean inning last night). Send Colter Bean back down.

I’m glad Bean got his “shot” last night. I’m sure he’s filled with confidence that he can pitch up here the way he pitched in AAA — after all, it’s not like Torre took him out of the game in the middle of a count. Oh, wait, he did. Yeah, another great move with a newcomer by Torre. Watch him walk a guy, throw another ball, and then jerk him. No offense: but what did you expect? The guy has a funky motion and walks a lot of people. (And with a lefty and a switch-hitter who can’t hit righty coming up, why not start the inning with Villone?)

If Cashman has a brain — or if there’s a God — the Yankees will dump Small, Erickson and now Bean and call up Rasner or Steven White (both pitching well in AAA and AA), Bean and Cox. And when Chacon gets back send down Rasner. If they do that, our bullpen will be good top to bottom.

10. baileywalk
      May 22nd, 2006 | 9:46 am

If Cashman has a brain — or if there’s a God — the Yankees will dump Small, Erickson and now Bean and call up Rasner or Steven White (both pitching well in AAA and AA), Beam and Cox. And when Chacon gets back send down Rasner. If they do that, our bullpen will be good top to bottom.

11. baileywalk
      May 22nd, 2006 | 10:01 am

By the way, Chacon was DL-ed last night and Terrence Long got called up. I guess they’re sticking with Bean for now, though that makes no sense, because you know Torre won’t put him back into a game. I just hope Long replaces Bernie in the field and not Melky. I know he hasn’t been hitting THAT well, but he worked another walk last night and got a hit off of Billy Wagner. Let the kid play.

12. Don
      May 22nd, 2006 | 2:06 pm

I don’t care who the Yankees trade A-Fraud to or what they get. I never wanted him here in the first place. To me that would be addition by subtraction.

13. MJ
      May 22nd, 2006 | 4:07 pm

Don, no offense but that’s ridiculous. You’d rather have Aaron Boone and Soriano than ARod and Cano? However annoying it is when ARod misses a chance to silence his critics, I want you to think back to the 2003 playoffs and conjure up the mental image of Boone and Soriano flailing away at sliders away and splitters in the dirt. How annoying was that? IT SUCKED and the Yanks are better for making the decisive move to dump both of them.