• Locker Room Stories

Posted by on May 24th, 2006 · Comments (11)

USA Today is running an interesting feature today:

Clubhouse confidential: Breaking down a major league locker room.

Here’s some Yankees-related content from it:

“That’s when you know you made it,” says Jason Giambi, who moved uptown when he joined the New York Yankees in 2002 and was given Paul O’Neill’s old locker. “They give you a big locker a star had before you, and you get an extra one next to it.”

“When I came to the Yankees” in 2004, Sheffield says, “I told them I wanted to see everything, I didn’t want to be closed in and I didn’t want to be in the middle of traffic. So they gave me (Clemens’) old locker.”

Hmmm, I wonder who (this season) got Tony Womack’s locker from last year?

Comments on Locker Room Stories

1. rbj
      May 24th, 2006 | 3:39 pm

Terrence Long? There’s gotta be a locker for the “why the hell is this guy on the New York Yankees” guy.

2. May 24th, 2006 | 3:52 pm

“There’s gotta be a locker for the ‘why the hell is this guy on the New York Yankees’ guy.”

Must get crowded for T-Long having to share it with Scott Erickson.

3. Jen
      May 24th, 2006 | 4:00 pm

Actually the pitchers have their own section. So Erickson has… uh, well, there were probably quite a few to choose from last year.

4. rbs10025
      May 24th, 2006 | 4:03 pm

I seem to recall the Times running an article with a very nice graphic showing the locker placements in the Yanks clubhouse. I think it was sometime this past year, but it might have been the spring-training layout in Tampa rather than home at the Stadium.

5. Jen
      May 24th, 2006 | 4:10 pm

rbs, I was thinking of the same article. It was the Tampa locker room from last year.

6. Jen
      May 24th, 2006 | 4:16 pm

Here’s the article that went with it.

7. MJ
      May 24th, 2006 | 4:21 pm

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a map of the Yankee clubhouse inside Buster Olney’s book “The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty.” I haven’t read the book myself but I seem to remember my girlfriend pointing it out when she read the book a few years back. Can anyone confirm this?

8. May 24th, 2006 | 5:15 pm

I read it and don’t remember seeing that.

Maybe we need to do a WasWatching.com Tour of the Stadium some day? Anyone ever do that yet?

9. rbj
      May 24th, 2006 | 8:15 pm

Thanks Jen. Where is Munson’s locker?

10. MJ
      May 25th, 2006 | 9:32 am

Steve – I’m in for a WasWatching.com stadium tour. It could be fun to see everyone that regularly checks in. Personally, I’d love to talk shop with you, bailey, JohnnyC and hopbitters.

11. May 25th, 2006 | 10:00 am

I’ll keep the idea on the radar – I’ve always wanted to go.