• May 24th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on May 24th, 2006 · Comments (7)

When the Yankees lost this past Monday to Boston, I wrote:

I expect the Red Sox to go on and sweep this series.

At the time, I truly believed that – and that’s why I wrote it. Now, I must say that I am sincerely impressed with the way the Yankees played the last two days. It would have been easy to lay down, lose yesterday and today, and then just apply excuses as fault and make promises for the future. Instead, the Yankees showed – at least me – something. This team has some fight in them.

So, does Torre batting Melky Cabrera lead-off mean that the kid’s ability to work pitchers has now won him a spot in his manager’s heart? I hope so.

OK, it’s 8-6 Yanks, bottom of the 8th, bases juiced with 2 outs, and Big Papi is facing The Farns.

Well, I’m glad that someone was listening to my point from Monday – change speeds on Ortiz! What a beauty. Kyle Farnsworth drops a breaking pitch in for a called strike three and the inning is over. Grab some pine Papi.

And, thank you Mo Rivera for sending Manny Ramirez skipping in the 9th inning during his At Bat. Finally, someone shows the team how to effectively pitch this guy. The minute you come close, he’s going to stop diving into the plate. (Remember his AB against Clemens in the 2003 ALCS game at Fenway?)

As far as Randy Johnson, tonight he continued his trend that I pointed out earlier today.

In the first, Youkilis singles on the 2nd pitch. Then Loretta singles on the first pitch. Manny homers on the 3rd pitch.

In the third, Varitek singled on the 3rd pitch to drive in Manny.

I missed the count on the Youkilis homer in the second, but, knowing what I know, I would bet that it was hit before Johnson threw his 4th pitch of the At Bat.

Randy just needs to make better/smarter pitches early in the count – in order to turn this thing around.

Lastly, it’s pretty cool to beat the Red Sox in Fenway. But, it’s wicked good to beat them in Fenway when the last out is recorded on a great play by Jeter (like in tonight’s game). And, for what it’s worth, I think it’s great that the schedule will now allow Jeter to get career hit # 2,000 at the Stadium. Sure, Fenway would have been good too. But, it will be a fitting reaction to such an event in the Bronx. Enjoy it Derek – you earned and deserve it.

Comments on May 24th @ The Red Sox

May 25th, 2006 | 12:09 am

=============
      Yeah, I remember he had to be restrained from going after Clemens. Also remember Zim trying to take on Pedro.

Manny was 1-4 in that game. Overall, he put up a .310-.333-.552 line in the ALCS. We know what he has done lifetime against the Yanks. There’s no right way to pitch Manny. He’s a hitting savant.

El Duque’s a Met…

2. JJay
      May 25th, 2006 | 9:37 am

Raf – I think that Steve was just trying to point out that after that high pitch (HIGH, not even high and tight) Manny stepped back in the box and completely waved at the next couple of pitches.

Harold Reynolds even did a segment on Baseball Tonight showing how different Manny’s body language was after that pitch. It was really interesting to see.

3. May 25th, 2006 | 9:43 am

Exactly JJay.

4. baileywalk
      May 25th, 2006 | 10:09 am

Anyone willing to take anything good from RJ’s performance last night?

The bad: to start the game, he looked awful. We might as well have run Sean Henn out there. How is it that Randy Johnson with lesser stuff isn’t as good as Aaron Small? Is that possible? If he continues to pitch like that, I don’t think he can win a game unless the team scores 8-10 runs.

The good: he did more or less settle down, and he had plenty of swing-and-miss strikeouts. He also handled the lefty, which was another thing he stopped doing.

Definitely not a good performance, but maybe he can improve to just be average — because right now he’s horrible.

Maybe that strikeout of Papi will get Torre off Farns’ back. Well, probably not — after all, he did give him a finger-in-the-face talking-to once he got back to the dugout. Farns got unlucky in the inning, but got out of it. And now the last two times Farns has faced Papi, he’s struck him out.

I’m happy to see Melky getting it done. It means he’ll be sticking around. I know Long got a few hits last night, but I don’t want him on the team. They should keep Melky in left (he’s even starting to get comfortable in the field) and have a revolving door in right of Bernie, Sheff and Hidalgo/whoever/someone-not-named-Bubba.

5. May 25th, 2006 | 10:12 am

Take out the Manny HR, and Unit was OK. Why take out the Manny HR? Shoot, Manny was hitting HRs against everyone and anyone. I’m not sure if that HR was a Unit or a Manny thing. Now, I would say it was more Manny and less Unit.

6. JohnnyC
      May 25th, 2006 | 11:18 am

If they’re keying on the fastball early, Steve, what does RJ throw? Slider? Uh, not if it’s flat. He needs to locate his fastball. Easier said than done for a guy who’s never been particularly concerned with location. BTW, Harold Reynolds thinks that Yankees catchers are setting the target too late (after he’s already started his wind-up). Showed some tape of his DBacks days and the catchers set up early. But, a difference of 3 or 4 mph helps the batter if he knows location. Worth a try, I guess. But, generally speaking, setting a target too early is a no-no for the other pitchers on the staff so…Can RJ develop a slow curve?

7. Joel
      May 25th, 2006 | 12:47 pm

Great managing job by Joe last night. The trip out to Randy in the fifth to settle him down, and then leaving Farnsworth in to face Ortiz–tremendous. We are going to need Farnsworth in big spots. Most managers would have played by the numbers and brought in Villone. I did not want to see Villone there–he’s not going to dominate a guy like Ortiz.

I get on Joe when I think he’s bad, so I have to give him his due when he does a great job.