• Mirabelli Math

Posted by on May 25th, 2006 · Comments (6)

From the Post today:

According to several Fenway Park sources, Alex Rodriguez called Doug Mirabelli over late yesterday afternoon and challenged the Red Sox’ backup catcher over what Mirabelli said about A-Rod’s actions at the plate Tuesday night, when A-Rod homered but looked around for the ball as if he didn’t know where it went.

“He told him he should know better than that,” the source said. “He told Mirabelli that he wouldn’t disrespect the game or show up Tim Wakefield. He told Mirabelli he should know better to say anything like that because they played together.”

Mirabelli, a teammate of A-Rod’s in Texas, was miffed that A-Rod didn’t know he went deep. His comments indicated Mirabelli believed A-Rod was grandstanding, one of the few acts A-Rod hasn’t been accused of by his legion of critics.

“The guy’s got 450 home runs,” Mirabelli said. “He doesn’t know when he’s squared one up? I don’t believe that.”

Now, let’s add on my observation from this past Tuesday:

The guys on YES might have said something (which I missed), but, man, Doug Mirabelli must be made to pay for that attempt to take out Jeter on the DP in the 6th inning. I only caught it in the flash-summary at the end of the game. Nonetheless, Mirabelli went a good 9 feet away from the bag to try and get Derek. Next time he bats against the Yankees, he deserves a shot on the elbow.

And, also consider what Mirabelli said when we rejoined Boston this year:

Doug Mirabelli stressed he did not ask for or demand the trade that got him back to Boston on Monday, but it was clear he did not shed too many tears.

“I didn’t want to be traded from San Diego,” said Mirabelli. “I wasn’t trying to be traded. Once I heard (the Red Sox) were interested, the one thing I made clear was ‘Please, don’t trade me to the Yankees.’”

OK, so, one plus one, plus another one, equals……..

……..Doug Mirabelli is a sphincter-head in red socks.

Comments on Mirabelli Math

1. MJ
      May 25th, 2006 | 9:40 am

So are the rest of them. Doug Mirabelli is back where he belongs with the rest of those guys. That team is a bunch of complete assholes, starting at the top with Larry Lucchino and going all the way down to the last scrub in their bullpen, Julian Tavarez.

2. JohnnyC
      May 25th, 2006 | 10:58 am

And their fans, MJ, and their fans…Love the sound of silence at Friendly Fens. BTW, a lot has been made of the “hanging” slider that Farnsworth struck Little Papi out on. It’s effectiveness had little to do with location and a lot to do with the change of speed. RJ and others, take note. As Kitty likes to say, modern pitching is “to and fro” not “side to side.” Destroying timing is crucial.

3. JeremyM
      May 25th, 2006 | 11:12 am

I still can’t get over Mirabelli’s comments. What a maroon. You’ve got Manny sitting at home for 5 seconds watching his home run and pointing at the dugout (in a game they were still losing by 3) and he’s really complaining about this? Really? Talk about sour grapes. Maybe his perspective from home plate was different, and it was kind of strange, but A-Rod really had no idea he hit it that hard.

I’ll say this, it takes a lot of class for A-Rod to call him instead of airing his grievances in the press. Of course, the call was leaked by Sox sources (probably Schilling:) I’m suprised Mirabelli didn’t try to fight him with all of his catcher’s gear on though, that seems to be the MO around there.

4. May 25th, 2006 | 11:13 am

Warren Spahn: “Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing.”

5. DaveD
      May 25th, 2006 | 12:49 pm

Steve thanks for posting this, it’s been bugging me since I read what Dougie M said. He’s a douche, he belongs on that team. I won’t hold my breath waiting for Beckett to take Manny to task for admiring his (losing effort) homerun.

6. brockdc
      May 25th, 2006 | 12:50 pm

Great commentary, all around. I totally agree – a very classy move on A-Rod’s part in confronting Miserabelli face-to face. This Sox team is loaded with showboaters, grand-standers, prima donnas, instigators, crybabies, and cheap shot artists. Their most likeable star player was Pedro – and I think that pretty much says it all.

Sox fans are even more pathetic – boring (Yankees suck!), sophomoric (A-Rod’s Gay!), and just plain predictable.