• Dave Winfield Is Safe

Posted by on May 26th, 2006 · Comments (10)

Jason Giambi cannot be Mr. May – at least not this season.

So far this month, Giambi is batting .182 for May – with 21 whiffs in 66 At Bats.

Just for the record, the worst that A-Rod ever batted in a full month, during his Yankees career, was .263 (in June 2004).

Comments on Dave Winfield Is Safe

1. MJ
      May 26th, 2006 | 1:12 pm

Does anyone have any theories about why Giambi’s slumping so badly? It almost looks like he’s right back where he was last May. The press doesn’t seem to be asking questions or coming up with their own analysis of the situation and all the guys on YES keep on saying is “he’s not slumping, he’s still getting his walks…” which is sort of crap.

Is he hurt? Is he losing confidence? Is Donnie working with him?

2. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2006 | 1:37 pm

Getting your walks isn’t crap. BA is meaningless. OBP shows if you’re getting on base or not. And a walk is just as good as a hit. The fact that he’s still walking shows you that he’s still seeing the ball well.

I’ll take a guy with a .450-plus OBP over a .300 hitter with a sub-.350 OBP any day.

Giambi has been streaky these last few years. He gets hot and hits ten home runs in a month, then gets quiet, keeps getting his walks, and sees his batting average jump up and down (because he has fewer at-bats because of his walks).

I don’t understand exactly why you have to trash Giambi to praise A-Rod. It’s not like Giambi didn’t get spanked by this town many times. Just because Giambi is having a subpar month doesn’t make A-Rod any better or worse. But since you’re comparing them, throw up their numbers, this year, with RISP.

Actually, I’ll do it for you:

Giambi with RISP: .310, .551 OBP, .828 SLG.
      A-Rod with RISP: .273, .397 OBP, .600 SLG.

3. MJ
      May 26th, 2006 | 1:47 pm

Jeez, I don’t think anyone trashed ARod. Moreover, I didn’t say getting walks is crap, I said the YES Network’s job of commenting on the slump is crap.

But if we’re going to split hairs here, he can’t be seeing the ball that well if his BB/K went from 2.16 in April to 0.80 in May. His OBP is respectable but very un-Giambi-like .368 for the month of May (down from .554 in April).

4. brockdc
      May 26th, 2006 | 1:54 pm

“…a walk is just as good as a hit.”

How? I’ve been questioning this saying ever since Little League, when we used to chant it to the little chubby kid on our team to get his spirits up (okay, okay, that little chubby kid was me). While I agree that walks are great and OBP is a telling stat, many base hits advance the runners multiple bases. In that sense, I’ll take a hit over a walk every time.

5. May 26th, 2006 | 2:11 pm

For the record, with walks, Giambi’s OBA is .368 (so far) in May. But, that just means that he’s reaching base. He’s not driving in anyone this month. And, that’s what you want from someone in the meat of the order, no?

6. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2006 | 3:15 pm

You guys are missing the point.

I’m not arguing that Giambi is in a slump. I called him a streaky hitter. I do believe a walk is just as good as a hit, because you make the pitcher work and you get on base, thus giving a teammate a chance to drive in a run (how about we say it’s “not as good as a hit but a lot better than an out,” okay?)

Anyway, the objection here was simply that Steve hit Giambi over the head as some perverse way of praising A-Rod. The formula was: Giambi is hitting under .200 in May, A-Rod has never hit under .260 in any month while a Yankee, and thus A-Rod has been unfairly criticized while Giambi skates.

Giambi only has 8 RBI this month. Not good enough for the three/four hitter. But that and America’s mounting dept have about the same to do with anything A-Rod does while in the batter’s box.

7. May 26th, 2006 | 3:18 pm

I’m not praising A-Rod.

My point is that A-Rod gets killed for his failures. Yet, Giambi’s month might be one of the worst ever for a Yankee, non-injured, in the last 10 years, yet, he’s not getting the A-Rod treatment.

Why? Because he’s a nice guy?

8. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2006 | 4:56 pm

What, like being a nice guy hurts? How about because Jason — even with the steroids and all the other headaches — isn’t disliked the way A-Rod is. Because he doesn’t have an “UNCLUTCH” tag hanging over his head. And because fans feel Giambi contributed to this team when it mattered. A-Rod didn’t hit two home runs off of Pedro in game seven of the ALCS and keep his team alive with their backs to the wall. Giambi wasn’t the one who grounded into a double play in the ninth inning of the ALDS last year (he hit .421 in that series). No one says Giambi sweats in those situations. No one thinks of Giambi as a savior.

That’s A-Rod’s burden. And again: trashing one teammate to praise another — the “you think he’s bad, but get a load of this guy” argument — is flat-out stupid.

9. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2006 | 5:11 pm

By the way, your assertion that Giambi’s month had to be one of the worst EVER for a Yankee seemed obviously ridiculous, so I did some cursory scanning of just the Yanks on the team and here’s what I found (note that Giambi hasn’t finished the month and only has 60 ABs):

Posada, June 2002, 90 ABs, .180, 260 OBP.
      Posada, June 2004, 72 ABs, .208, .352 OBP.

Jeter, April 2004, 87 ABs, .172, .250 OBP.

Bernie Williams, May 2003, 71 ABs, .197, .313 OBP.

And that’s just looking at the guys on the team now and from 2001. Needless to say, I’m sure if you went back and did some looking, you would find many bad months amongst the ranks of the Yankees.

10. May 27th, 2006 | 2:35 pm

Fair point. I stand corrected now on that claim.