• May 30th @ The Tigers

Posted by on May 30th, 2006 · Comments (9)

OK, as annoying as that Yankees fan sitting on top of the field microphone (during the YES broadcast) was all night – “Come number one-two!” (etc.) – I must admit that I found his shrieks of joy pretty amusing when Giambi finally hit that homerun.

Considering that this game was starting to get that “2004 ALCS Games 4 & 5″ bad feel to it, hanging in there to get the win back was pretty important. And, with the Tigers having two good pitchers go in the next two games, it could have been a disaster to lose this game (after being up 5-0).

And, clearly, a gold star for Mo Rivera tonight.

And, now, for something entirely different………

A woman nuts over Elvis decides that she wants a tattoo of the legend’s head on her inner thigh – and she went to a tattoo joint to get it done.

When the tattoo artist was done with her, she looks at the tattoo and freaks – saying “That’s not Elvis and I’m not going to pay for this!”

After long debate, the tattoo artist agreed to do another tattoo of Elvis’ head on her other inner thigh. But, when he was done, the woman flipped out again saying “That’s not Elvis either!”

So, the tattoo artist said to her “Let’s get a third opinion” and he pulled in a guy who was in his waiting room. And, he asked the guy “Who does this look like?” (while pointing to the tattoo heads on the woman’s exposed legs).

After staring at the woman’s legs for a long time, the guy said, “I don’t know who the guys on either side are, but the one in the middle is definitely Fernando Rodney.”

Comments on May 30th @ The Tigers

1. May 31st, 2006 | 12:17 am

I can’t believe you didn’t even mention Melky going 4-6 with a triple, double, and 2 singles, along with 2 RBIs. tisk tisk tisk.

2. baileywalk
      May 31st, 2006 | 12:42 am

What happened in the eighth inning? The ump was consistent the whole game and then for some unknown reason squeezed Farnsworth. That first walk was a joke — and so was the second (though he did lose him). The ump cost us two innings and Mo pitching three innings because he suddenly decided there was no outside corner.

Knock on wood, but this series has the feel of something that the Yankees are going to spring off of.

Randy Johnson got his stuff back together. Even Small pitched well tonight. And Mo looked like Mo.

Jeter might be more hurt than he’s letting on, but it’s nice to see Melky so comfortable.

3. brockdc
      May 31st, 2006 | 2:33 am

Folks!

4. MJ
      May 31st, 2006 | 9:06 am

First off, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one that noticed the Yankee fan talking throughout the game. It got annoying after a while but at least it wasn’t a Tigers fan.

I really enjoy watching Melky Cabrera hit. He seems to have a very smooth stroke and hits lots of nice line drives and hard grounders. Hopefully he keeps it up and racks up some stats to make top 5 in the Rookie of the Year voting come November.

Finally, Rivera was brilliant last night and it sure was nice to see Giambi break through after an otherwise horrible game for him.

PS – Steve, I didn’t know where you were going with that joke until the punchline. Good stuff.

5. May 31st, 2006 | 9:32 am

It’s an oldie – using Willie Nelson as the punchline – that I “borrowed.”

6. May 31st, 2006 | 9:33 am

BTW, I was the only one who really wanted to see the Melk-man hit for the cycle – with the HR to break the tie game?

7. DFLNJ
      May 31st, 2006 | 10:15 am

What I really wanted to see was for MLB to change the rules to let Mariano hit and, using his superpowers, hit a homerun to win the game. Pitching is obviously too easy for him, he needs some new challenges. But Got Melk would have done nicely as well.

8. Jen
      May 31st, 2006 | 10:21 am

I think everyone wanted to see that happen, Steve.

And was it me, or did Murcer and Singleton seem rather prophetic in that 11th inning. One of them said that if Giambi can put one in the right field seats that those 3 K’s would be forgotten. And pitch or 2 later, Giambi puts one into the right field seats. Then Ken mentioned something about Bernie turning on a pitch, then… Bernie turns on a pitch.

9. May 31st, 2006 | 10:26 am

It was Murcer who said it on Giambi – I remember that.

Giambi had a fun line after the game. Something like “This is why this is a great game. You can go from zero to hero so quickly.”