• May 31st @ The Tigers

Posted by on May 31st, 2006 · Comments (9)

Mussina screaming from the mound to Torre, as Joe started out of the dugout, with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th: “No, stay there!

I love it.

Moose was the man tonight. Pefect timing too – when the pen needed the rest. Must be something about Mussina and Motown – one year and a week ago, he did it to them as well.

Gold star to Andy Phillips for his play on the bunt to nail the runner at 3rd in the 6th (when the score was only 2-0 Yanks). That could have been the turning point in the game.

Tonight was a great ending to a very nice month for the Yankees.

Comments on May 31st @ The Tigers

1. MJ
      May 31st, 2006 | 11:47 pm

I only wish Arod had been able to make a better throw on Polanco’s gounder or, failing that, for Andy Phillips to come up with the dig on the low throw. A CG SHO would’ve been nice for Moose and the team. Not that I’m complaining…Moose did a kickass job tonight after we burned up all of our arms yesterday.

I want this sweep badly! I hope Wang is on tomorrow. It would be a big statement to go into Detroit and beat the “best team in the AL” no?

2. JeremyM
      June 1st, 2006 | 12:35 am

This team has really impressed me. Yeah, tons of teams have injuries, but this team has had more than their share of them and they’re beating pretty good teams (the same could be said of that other New York team I guess). Cabrera looks better every game, Phillips is starting to look like a major league hitter, and A-Rod and Giambi are doing exactly what you-and myself- asked of them during this stretch. I really hope Mussina can keep it up and finally get over the hump–he was sure sharp tonight.

3. Yu Hsing Chen
      June 1st, 2006 | 12:55 am

Amazing how this team is pulling through, if we manage to win this division with all these injuries this year, Torre should be Manager of the Year…. or run for mayor ;)

4. brockdc
      June 1st, 2006 | 1:24 am

Man, for some reason, Mussina has always been the guy I’ve been afraid to embrace, for some odd reason. But, after tonight, sign me up for the Moose fan club. He was nails when the Yankees absolutely needed him to be. From here on out, I will celebrate his entire catalogue.

5. rbj
      June 1st, 2006 | 8:32 am

Great prediction Steve, now what are the lottery numbers.

I don’t care too much about the shutout, the CG was real important, save the bullpen. And good god, the Yankees have take three straight from the team with the best record and lowest ERA, with guys like Melky and Philips and Bernie and Terrence Long instead of Matsui, Sheff and Damon. Oh, and throw in Cairo for a hurting Derek. Amazing.

6. Rich
      June 1st, 2006 | 9:28 am

The look on Torre’s face when Moose was yelling was priceless. Gator was laughing pretty hard. I missed most of the game (I fell asleep), but I picked it up right before the play on the bunt. This team is really battling right now. A-Rod and Giambi are stepping up(I haven’t heard any ARod bashing in a few days though…), and the kids are starting to produce.

No Jeter? No Damon? No Sheff? No Matsui? No problem. I didn’t even think it was possible for this team to function without at least two of those guys. Wow.

7. MJ
      June 1st, 2006 | 10:26 am

I love that ARod’s on a tear right now and that the haters and doubters have to retreat back to their dark corners, waiting out the hot streak.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys but when I saw his swing on that triple, it looked almost like he was fooled on the pitch as he dove across the plate to get the bathead on the ball to go the other way. When that ball landed at the base of the wall in right center, I thought to myself, “Jeez, this guy took a half-ass swing and just crushed the ball…” I don’t care what anyone says, I’m glad to have ARod’s bat in our lineup.

8. June 1st, 2006 | 10:52 am

“Jeez, this guy took a half-ass swing and just crushed the ball…”

Like the “pop-up” HR in Boston. ;-)

9. MJ
      June 1st, 2006 | 11:22 am

I’ll take about 30 more of those pop-up HR’s any day! Especially if they come vs. Boston!

In fact, if all of ARod’s defensive swings end up being XBH’s, I wouldn’t care at all.

PS – Does anyone know what Verlander throws besides the heater? Does he mix in a slider/change? I’m excited to see him for the first time.