• June 11th vs. The A’s

Posted by on June 11th, 2006 · Comments (9)

No hit.
    No pitch.
    No field.
    No win.

It’s pretty basic stuff.

No hit: The Yankees team had 5 hits on the day – three by Robbie Cano.
    No pitch: Chacon could not get past the 6th inning.
    No field: Posada’s passed ball in the 4th, A-Rod’s error in the 6th, and Proctor’s failure to get the ball out of his glove in the 6th.

Here’s the rub for me on this game – and even the 4-game losing streak.

The Yankees pitching is what it is. Outside of the Randy Johnson tank job, there’s no valid reason to expect to see better efforts from the likes of Wright, Wang and Chacon. They’re all capable at times – but, none of them are going to turn into Cy Young Award winners this season because they each have their particular limitations.

And, the Yankees’ fielding is what it is. Besides, when you pitch and hit well, you can survive an occasional error here and there.

But, the Yankees hitting. Here, we have something.

Yes, Sheffield and Matsui are out. And, Bernie Williams is old. And, Jeter only has one able thumb and Damon has a broken foot. Still, there’s a bunch of other guys on this team.

Now, to expect Cabrera, Cairo, and Phillips to carry the load is unfair – and probably insane. This leaves A-Rod, Posada, Cano, and Giambi.

Posada and Cano have been doing just fine. Which brings us to Giambi and Alex Rodriguez.

Since June 6th, Giambi is 2 for 14 and A-Rod is 3 for 18. And, the Yankees are 1-4 since June 6th. Granted, they both came down with stomach disorders around three days before June 6th, and, that would be the excuse that many would point towards here.

OK, I’ll give them the buddy-pass here too. But, as of the Yankees next game, it will be a week since they recovered from the bug. There can be no excuse beyond that point.

But, wait, Giambi now sore left-hand as a result of the HBP yesterday. So, he does now have an excuse, I suppose.

This just leaves A-Rod. He needs to start hitting. The Yankees team needs him to start hitting. This is true now – more so than ever – given the current status of the Yankees team. Eleven days ago, I wrote:

This is the time where the Big Units, Giambis, A-Rods, and the like need to come through for the Yankees. This is why they were brought to New York. It will be interesting to see who rises to this occasion.

For those scoring at home, it’s still a big goose egg for “the like” in this opportunity. But, there’s still lots of baseball coming up for this to change. I hope we see something happen soon.

Comments on June 11th vs. The A’s

1. Don
      June 11th, 2006 | 6:33 pm

Five runs against the A’s should be enough. But you win with pitching and defense, which is obvious if you follow the game, or the Tejas Rangers.

I’m no A-Fraud fan; never was and never wanted him on the Yankees. So guys I can’t stomach who come to the Yankees, I have a hard time rooting for. But it isn’t always about his hitting. His fielding this year has been bad. He owes a whole lot of clutch hitting down the stretch. And fielding. I won’t hold my breath.

###########

Could the Yankees make Street look better this weekend?

2. RICH
      June 11th, 2006 | 7:10 pm

The offense would have needed to score 7 runs to win the game and that’s too much to expect in my opinion.

The fans can blame Arod all they want (including a run he was central to giving up in the field though I doubt Cairo would have made the play) but the pitching will need to improve if things are to get better.

I don’t think it will improve much but I think they still have enough to make the playoffs. It would be nice to have some decent middle relief but there’s none to be had unless someone gets hot. I won’t have any expectations for Dotel until he’s actually pitching in the majors. Maybe Smith or Villone will catch fire.

3. Yu Hsing Chen
      June 11th, 2006 | 11:10 pm

I think in general, it’s a combination of things, for the most part during this losing streak, the Yankees havn’t been particuarly god awful, except for Randy Johnson. they avearage close to two HR a game, they’ve been getting some hits, their still getting the walks.

The Pitching havn’t been horrible either, Wright and Chacon essentially lived up to their expectations, Moose had seen better days but still it was a QS.

I think all in all, it’s just a matter of it not all clicking, and the main reason seem to be Jeter IMHO, he’s the cap, he can’t be out there and sucking that many games, we need him back in SS and hitting like Jeter again, that’s basically the difference. once we have Jeter in SS, Giambi at DH and Andy back in 1B again, we’re fine. (hopefully giving Thompson a few more chances in OF too)

June 11th, 2006 | 11:40 pm

The peaks and valleys of a long season…

5. June 12th, 2006 | 12:01 am

You know why this win doesn’t hurt me?

I’ll tell you why this win doesn’t hurt me.

I am still beyond elated that Scott Erickson was DFAd.

6. JohnnyC
      June 12th, 2006 | 12:09 am

I’m thinking along raf’s lines…while not excusable, team slumps happen. However, as Steve alluded to, this certainly tempers the optimism we had about the ability of the team to weather the 2 huge losses of Matsui and Sheffield. This will have to be another season in which our 40 man roster (and beyond)needs to be exhaustively exploited. That means bringing up a Steve White and TJ Beam, even a JB Cox, and it means making a deal for some offensive help. The only impact player we can conceivably acquire for the chips we’re willing and/or able to give up is Soriano. We don’t have enough to get Willis or Zito and you can keep Livan Hernandez. Cautious optimism can be revived if we play a good series against the Indians.

7. JeremyM
      June 12th, 2006 | 12:54 am

This has been brought up on other boards by other people, but I think the loss of Jeter as shortstop reared it’s ugly head in these last 3 games. Having to stick Cairo out there and having Jeter go 0 for 10 before getting the double killed them. Hopefully Jeter can get back to playing short and Giambi can heal–his loss definitely hurt them today.

You can also make the case that Jeter’s comment that it was Championship or bust hurt them. The team seemed to be playing really loose and now they’ve tightened up. Of course, teams always look tight when they’re losing, but there was some speculation that Jeter’s comments were ill-timed . I personally thought it was a stupid thing to say after the run they were on–I feel the same way but it’s not something that needs to be ran up the flagpole all the time. It’s June, let the game come to you. End of rant.

8. brockdc
      June 12th, 2006 | 1:48 am

Jeremy -

I can see where you’re coming from. Maybe it wasn’t great timing by Jeter to say what he said. I’d be lying, though, if I said I wasn’t thrilled that he felt that way.

Still, I’d like to think that the players have a bit more mental tenacity than letting the comments of one of their teammates thwart their focus and ability over an entire three game series.

9. JohnnyC
      June 12th, 2006 | 10:36 am

Well, going by that theory, Damon’s remarks (“We stink!”)didn’t exactly make them play like champs either. Really, I doubt very much if Jeter’s comments had any effect at all. Much more cogent a rationale is his replacement by Cairo in the field and Jeter’s mini-slump shortening a shortened line-up even further. Starting with Thursday’s game, in which Kelly Stinnett started for no good reason (rained out the day before so Posada didn’t need a rest), especially considering a win against Boston is worth 2 in the standings while a win against Oakland is just that, a win.