• June 13th vs. The Indians

Posted by on June 13th, 2006 · Comments (16)

To borrow from Peggy Lee:

Why this feeling? Why this glow?
    Why the thrill when you say Hello?
    It’s a strange and tender magic you do
    Mister Wang-der-full, that’s you.

…..

Oh there’s much more I could say
    But the words keep slipping away
    And I’m left with one point of view
    Mister Wang-der-full, that’s you

In his last five Yankee Stadium starts, Chien-Ming Wang has now thrown 37.2 IP and has an ERA of 1.69 in those innings. The Wanger likes home cooking.

Now, on the other end of the world, let’s review A-Rod’s game this evening.

First time up, runners on 1st and 2nd with one out – and Alex whiffs.
    Second time up, runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs – and Alex pops-out to left.
    Third time up, with no one on and two outs – Alex then K’s-looking.
    Last time up, leading off the 8th – Alex whiffs again.

A-Rod is now batting .138 in his last 8 games. At a time where the team needs him the most, he’s gone into a shell. (The Yankees have gone 3-5 in those 8 games – and two of the three wins were scores of 1-0 and 2-1.)

Nonetheless, the Yankees are in fine position in the standings with 100 games to go. But, the big question still is: Who will carry them over the next 100 games?

To borrow from Bonnie Tyler:

I need a hero
    I’m holding out for a hero till the end of the night
    he’s gotta be strong and he’s gotta be fast
    and gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero
    I’m holding out for a hero till the morning light
    He’s gotta be sure and he’s gotta be soon
    And he’s gotta be larger than life
    Larger than life

Where’s Mitch Miller when you need him?

Comments on June 13th vs. The Indians

1. June 13th, 2006 | 11:21 pm

I’m going to go watch Shrek 2 right now. Got to love Tyler.

2. baileywalk
      June 13th, 2006 | 11:29 pm

They need Giambi back in the lineup and hitting. This lineup isn’t the same without him.

It also looks like Jeter is healthy now. If he starts hitting and Giambi gets back, things should be fine.

I have to laugh at how Yankee fans — fueled by the New York media — panic. Four straight losses, but only a game out. Two of the A’s losses were one-run games. So if the Yankees won that last game and didn’t lose four in a row the sky WOULDN’T be falling?

Anyway, Wang was great tonight. I think because of his demeanor we take for granted he’s a younger pitcher. Young pitchers are normally inconsistent. People seem to give up on Wang every time he struggles. But on nights like this he shows he can be dominant.

And by the way, Philip Hughes went seven innings and gave up one hit tonight. Had a no-hitter going through six and a third. Kenny Singleton’s son broke it up with a double. It’s Mr. Hughes’ best start so far this year at AA. Hopefully he’s settled into the new league and will dominate from here on out.

3. Yu Hsing Chen
      June 14th, 2006 | 12:10 am

A-rod will snap out of it eventrually… in the meanwhile the Yankees must keep scratching out wins like they did tonight.

In another news, Boston managed to score in the top of the 12 to break a 1-1 tie, only to have Tavarez do this…

K
      HBP
      Ground rule Double
      IBB
      Walk off grandslam.

…….ooooooookkkkkkkkkk, and we thought Sturtze and Erickson was bad

4. Don
      June 14th, 2006 | 3:26 am

Maybe someone can find a way to blame Joe Torre for the Tavarez blowup?

Sorry, too much White Horse (a Yankee tradition — if anyone knows what I mean)? Or too much blame Joe crowd?

Anyway, nice win. All these injuries, and look where the team is. Dumb Joe?

5. MJ
      June 14th, 2006 | 8:58 am

Funny Don, you’ll defend Joe but won’t hesitate to bash the new wave of Yankees you don’t like (ARod, Sheffield, etc.). Sensele

Last night was a great win. ARod’s slumping a bit or lost his timing with the stomach virus he had a couple of weeks ago.

Reflexive ARod-bashing is as silly as the reflexive Torre-bashing. He’ll bounce back and the 25% of the fan base that hates his guts will have to sit on their hands while the 25% of the fan base that has no mind of its own will follow the crowd and cheer him and ask for curtain calls. Sometimes it really sucks being a Yankee fan/New Yorker.

June 14th, 2006 | 9:18 am

==================
      Baseball’s not set up that way. Everyone has to contribute. This isn’t football or basketball, where you can have one dominant player carry a team. Where you can design a play around a player. In baseball, the whole roster has to contribute over a season. Players get hot, players get cold. It happens.

7. June 14th, 2006 | 10:51 am

Enough with the A-Rod ripping… sheesh.

The eight games before this slump he clipped along at .419/.526/.742 and the team went 6-2 and outscored the opposition 62-35.

I know the expectations are higher for ARod because the paycheck has more zeros but c’mon now, it’s not like he’s the only one not hitting of late.

8. Exit9
      June 14th, 2006 | 11:01 am

Hey man, Alex is just like the other Yankees, and other players – nobody thinks Alex Rios is going to hit .380 the whole year – they have their ups and downs. The fans’ bashing of our guys doesn’t exactly help them dig themselves out of a slide. Not to be like, “poor Alex” but when Jeter couldn’t hit a house last year, everyone laid off pretty much and he came back admirably. Alex is known for his ups and downs, he’ll come back, as will Gio and others. Right now we’re tied for 1st and leading the league in runs scored. The pitching, for all its problems, is still holding pretty steady. I don’t think we’re as strong a team as the Mets, but they have no injuries. We need to improve to be playoff ready, but at least we’re not 10 games out like we were last year. There are lots of pluses.

9. hopbitters
      June 14th, 2006 | 11:04 am

With all due respect to Bonnie Tyler, she should not be mentioned in the same breath as Peggy Lee.

And Don, your defense of Torre would be a lot more convincing if you did it when somebody else had actually attacked him, or at least brought up his name. If you bring the pinata to the party, don’t go blaming everyone else for taking a whack.

10. baileywalk
      June 14th, 2006 | 11:04 am

There’s always one player who bears the burden of fans’ collective hate. On this team it’s A-Rod. And it’s easy to see why: he gets paid a ton of money, he comes to the team as the “best player in baseball,” he has a personality that rubs most the wrong way, and he has an uncanny ability to not come through when the crowd is begging him to (last year’s playoffs didn’t help him any).

I don’t agree with any of this and I would never boo him. I always find it disgraceful when home teams boo their own players.

But that’s the way it’s going to be until A-Rod does something that generates a lot of love. Everyone says it has to be a huge playoff series or World Series, but I think a steady flow of hits with RISP or a couple of big knocks a month would do it. The fans don’t feel about A-Rod the way the do about, say, Randy Johnson. They don’t care about Randy Johnson. He’s just some old guy who’s on the team that they have to deal with. They don’t care enough about him to hate him. But I think they WANT to like A-Rod. I think they would love for him to do well and drive this team toward a championship.

Sometimes I think the hate of A-Rod is just frustration. The odd and ironic thing is, of course, that the more they boo him and hate him, the more he becomes a player they can’t stand. Something tells me that if they cheered him when he failed, as a kind of pat on the back, he would relax and tear it up.

11. baileywalk
      June 14th, 2006 | 11:55 am

I don’t think we’re as strong a team as the Mets, but they have no injuries.
      —————————

I never thought I’d see the day when Yankees fans started acting like Mets fans. It always amazed me how obsessed with the Yankees most Mets fans were. It never made any sense. The Yankees winning or losing doesn’t affect the standings of the Mets. They’re in two different leagues.

Now Yankee fans are becoming obsessed with the Mets. Who cares if they’re seven games ahead in their weak division? How does that help or hurt us?

I guess it’s a natural reaction to compare two hometown teams, but when I hear angsty Yankee fans mentioning the Mets, it makes my flesh crawl. Worrying about the Mets — or worse, feeling jealousy toward them — should mean an immediate revocation of your Yankee Fan card.

12. MJ
      June 14th, 2006 | 2:15 pm

_________________________________________

Now that’s some sensible commentary. I wholeheartedly agree. Unless and until we’re playing them in the interleague series or October, let’s not worry about what’s going on in Queens.

June 14th, 2006 | 3:08 pm

While I don’t exactly worry about them, I do turn in whenever Duque & Pedro are pitching. And if the timing weren’t so bad, I’d check them out tonight in Philly (I really wanna see the park out there)

14. Don
      June 14th, 2006 | 3:13 pm

Hoppy, it was a pre-emptive Torre defense. And rather tongue-in-cheek.

There’s plenty of Torre bashing here and elsewhere. Usually naively so or kneejerk. Do I need wait until it rears its ugly head to mock those bashers? Or your permission?

******

The Mets? Who are they?

15. baileywalk
      June 14th, 2006 | 4:46 pm

————-

Definitely check out the Phillies’ ballpark. It may be hell on pitchers, but it’s a great modern ballpark. I’ve been there a few times and have had a great time with the Philly fans. I had seats right behind home plate when they played the Mets last year. The Piazza abuse was hilarious.

16. Exit9
      June 15th, 2006 | 11:30 am

Well, typically I don’t give a fart in a firestorm about the Mets, and it’s true that the Mets do not matter to us, as they’re in a different league. Still, I don;t hate them like I do Boston, or worry about them like I do the Jays. For the record, however, #30 was one of my favorite Yankees, a class act all the way. El Duque same thing. And the Mets Phils games are fun to watch, to check out Wagner vs. Philly, etc. It’s good baseball, that’s all. I don’t mind seeing Willie do okay – I wish him well, unless they’re playing us.