• June 15th vs. The Indians

Posted by on June 15th, 2006 · Comments (12)

I’m going to try some live-blogging on this one today. Stay tuned for updates.

Update 1:14 pm ET: Just an in-game note – Alex Rodriguez, SLG% at Yankee Stadium to date: .295 vs. RHP and .806 vs. LHP. The Tribe has a LHP starting. Good.

Update 1:33 pm ET: That was quick. BTBTB doubles by the Indians’ 6-7-8 hitters. Tribe has a 2-run lead and needs 24 outs to win.

Update 2:00 pm ET: Bernie left stranded on 2nd after a one-out double. Oh, well, at least they won’t be no-hit today.

Update 2:15 pm ET: Bottom of the order strikes again for Cleveland. Tribe has a 3-run lead and needs 18 outs to win.

Update 2:19 pm ET: Stupid day game! I really wanted to see Melky’s first HR live in real time. Damn.

Update 2:45 pm ET: It’s now a 4-inning game – with the Yankees down by two. The next two innings could be key.

Update 3:01 pm ET: Once again, the bottom of the order kills Mussina in this game. It’s the same three guys as the 2nd inning and now New York trails 6-1.

Update 3:28 pm ET: A-Rod homers, solo, when the Yankees are down 6-1 in the 7th. Talk about a straight-line.

Update 3:33 pm ET: I guess Bernie missed the memo where I said he was going to be a dud this season. His HR now makes it a 3-run game.

Update 3:51 pm ET: Bubba in for Damon?

Update 3:55 pm ET: Bases, pardon the pun, juiced for Giambi. Sweet. Com’on Jason!

Update 3:58 pm ET: FC is better than a DP! OK, now it’s 6-4 Tribe, two on, and A-Rod up. Any predictions?

Update 4:01 pm ET: Alex whiffs. Boooooooooooo!

Update 4:16 pm ET:
    Memo to Torre: Only let Small pitch when the game is out of hand. It’s now a three-run hole again.

Update 4:34 pm ET: OK, now, for the Yankees, four runs are needed (to tie) and there’s one inning to get it done. What are the odds?

Update 5:14 pm ET: It’s too bad that the Yankees 4-5-6 hitters today could not keep up with the Indians 6-7-8 hitters. For the record, last night, I wrote:

In any event, Mussina needs to pitch well for the Yankees to win, on Thursday, in my opinion. I just have a feeling that the Yankees are only going to score something like four runs tomorrow. Just a hunch.

And, what happened? The Yankees only scored four runs today, Mussina was bad, and the Yankees lost. That was some hunch.

Comments on June 15th vs. The Indians

1. Athos333
      June 15th, 2006 | 1:37 pm

I realize that this is totally unrelated, but I had to throw it out to Yank fans to see if anyone remembers. I was just getting some projects done at work and then out of nowhere I remembered something from when I was a kid on the news: does anyone remember people protesting, smashing and burning disco records in the late ’70′s at Yankee Stadium? I’ve never heard anyone ever bring it up before so I’m wondering if I’m just imagining it….

2. June 15th, 2006 | 1:40 pm
    3. rbj
      June 15th, 2006 | 2:33 pm

And the White Sox wound up having to forfeit the game. Although, it was for a noble cause.

They better show Melky’s HR on BBTN.

4. MJ
      June 15th, 2006 | 3:02 pm

I guess a bad start from the Moose was brewing over the last 10 days. His past 2 starts had been pretty good but not up to the high standard he had set for himself so far this year. Today’s game was a real stinker. Getting beaten up by Peralta and Hollandsworth isn’t something that should happen to a Cy Young candidate. Of course, it doesn’t help that the Yankee bats went to sleep. Yet another 3-game series that we had in the bag, forgot to show up for, and took our sweep for granted.

They better take it out on the Nationals this weekend. No excuses.

5. JohnnyC
      June 15th, 2006 | 4:55 pm

I love these house money games. I feel so carefree. Hey, can’t sweep ‘em all. And, frankly, when you’ve got Aaron Small in the bullpen, you’ve got to use him in high leverage situations.

6. baileywalk
      June 15th, 2006 | 6:28 pm

This was one of the rare times Torre took the risky route with his pitcher. It blew up in his face, unfortunately, but it’s good to see Torre not do everything by the book. It was the right decision to leave Moose in, but it happened to fail today. I just hope this doesn’t validate in Torre’s mind his normal, ultra-conservative thinking.

Moose had to have a dud of a game sooner or later. MJ, sometimes you make bad pitches to bad hitters and they whack you. That happened to Mussina today. Every pitcher — from Koufax to Clemens — have off days. Today was Moose’s off day. And that home run to dead center was wind-aided, to say the least. My reaction went something like this: “C’mon, Damon, catch the baaaa… Oh, shit!” It seemed to be floating on an air current.

This was a pretty pitiful performance by the Yankee offense today. Even if you discount the at-bats against the starter, who looked decent today, how about bases loaded and no outs with the four, five and six hitters up? Giambi at least got an RBI, but A-Rod and Posada both made out. A-Rod bashers should have a ball with the fact that he homered when the Yanks were down and then struck out in a big spot with the game on the line. (Torre take note: reliever gets into trouble, but the manager sticks with him and doesn’t panic and rush someone up and then bring in someone who’s not ready and exacerbate the problem. Trust — what a concept!)

This loss is somewhat easy to stomach because they took two out of three, but it is rough for Moose, who seems to have to be perfect to win. It would probably be easier for him to take this loss if he didn’t have so many well-pitched games were he should have won and the bullpen/lack of offense lost it for him.

Villone’s numbers are great — how much better would they be if he wasn’t pitching like his arm was hanging off and could follow through on his pitching motion?

June 16th, 2006 | 12:29 am

test… for some reason my comments haven’t been showing up

8. Don
      June 16th, 2006 | 2:29 am

Career-wise, Villone’s numbers are not very good. ERA 4.75, WHIP 1.468.

9. JJay
      June 16th, 2006 | 8:33 am

Steve, no offense, but you seem extremely pessimistic when watching games. Or at least that’s how I thought this entry came off. Granted they did lose but posting that they “need 24 outs to win” almost seems like you were expecting them to lose after they were done a couple after the 1st.

10. June 16th, 2006 | 8:59 am

No offense taken JJay!

Sarcasm and caustic remarks are very bad habits of mine. Ask anyone who’s ever worked with me.

I have to remember that not everyone gets it.

11. baileywalk
      June 16th, 2006 | 10:03 am

Career-wise, Villone’s numbers are not very good. ERA 4.75, WHIP 1.468.
      ———————

Don, those numbers include his time as a starter and all his spot-starts. He’s been a fairly effective middle reliever for quite a while.

My point was that it’s amazing Villone’s numbers are so great considering he looks like he’s pitching in pain and can’t finish his motion.

12. June 16th, 2006 | 12:27 pm

Raf – it’s your IP. I see all your comments – but, the ones that are coming thru, like your test message here, are from one IP whereas the others, not shown, are from another. Let me see if it’s something on my side.