• June 17th @ The Nationals

Posted by on June 17th, 2006 · Comments (10)

I know that Mo Rivera got the loss in this ugly game, but, if it were up to me, I would give it to Chacon.

Your team just scored 7 runs in one inning, to give you a lead of 9-2, and then you come back in the bottom of the inning and allow the other team to get back into the game (by eventually scoring 4 runs in their frame).

Did you know that, this season, Chacon has only logged more than 6 1/3 IP in a game once? He’s just another Yankees starter who is lucky to make it past the 6th inning. How many games this season has the Yankees starting pitcher failed to make it past the 6th inning? Let’s check:

Mussina – 6 times
    Johnson – 9 times
    Wang – 7 times
    Wright – 10 times
    Chacon – 6 times
    Small – 3 times

So, that’s 41 times in 66 games where the Yankees starting pitcher failed to log more than 6 IP in his game. That’s 62%.

Well, at least it looks like Mattingly has fixed A-Rod, right? You have to try and look for something positive in a terrible loss like today, no?

Comments on June 17th @ The Nationals

1. JeremyM
      June 17th, 2006 | 7:12 pm

This is probably just me in the heat of the moment, but my feeling is DFA Chacon. I thought that he was the real deal despite the numbers showing that he was just lucky, but I was wrong. I can’t really stand nibbling, but I really can’t stomach it up 7.
      I also think they pulled Smith too early, but other than that you can’t argue too much with the bullpen management, other than the argument that if you’ll use Mo for 5 outs why not use him for 6? I had a feeling that leaving Beam in would blow up, but you can’t argue with the reasoning behind the move. And Villone really needs to get Proctor’s innings (well, not all of them) until he proves otherwise, but I guess today’s game wasn’t the time since they had Villone as the long man for extra innings.

But the bottom line is exactly what you bring up Steve, the starters need to start chewing some innings.

2. JeremyM
      June 17th, 2006 | 7:17 pm

And I really don’t know who to replace Chacon with, other than Pavano rising from the ashes, or Rasner getting healthy.

3. brockdc
      June 17th, 2006 | 7:35 pm

I hate to be “that guy,” but see my post on 6/8. In other words, Steve, can’t agree with you more. This team is in dire need of a league-average-ERA innings sponge. Forget a corner outfielder or an upgrade on backup catcher; we need another starting pitcher YESTERDAY.

4. Josh
      June 17th, 2006 | 10:42 pm

I really have to question some of the bullpen decisions Joe made today. He gets a scoreless 6th out of Beam in his 1st ever appearance. So what does Joe do? He trots him right back out. Predictably, he melts down. So Joe goes to Proctor who pitched 2 innings yesterday and then Moe for 5 outs after he got 5 yesterday. This was a recipe for disaster. If Joe is so concerned abt. wearing out the bullpen how abt. considering Myers for more than 1 out? And should we put an ABP out on Ron Villone? As a result of the handling of the pen Wang now needs to probably give us at least 8 tmw. Oh well, maybe we’ll get Dotel in there sometime in the next 5 years or so. One another point: The offense, witnessing the pitching meltdown, really has got to wake up and give us something against the likes of Stanton et al.

5. Don
      June 18th, 2006 | 12:32 am

Steve, you’re preaching to the choir. I’ve been talking about how important those third-of-an-inings are and how they add up over the course of 162 games. Two-thirds more per game means 108 less bullpen innings.

I’d start Chacon and have Wright as his caddy (or vice-versa); if we can plug someone else in who’ll soak up those innings. Paging Carl Pavone…… paging Carl Pavone…….

As for Villone, the love for this guy is strange. Career 4.75 ERA, 1.468 WHIP. He is what he is, IMO.

6. baileywalk
      June 18th, 2006 | 1:23 am

Two wows from today:

1) Wow, they actually DFA’d Aaron Small?

2) Wow, what an ugly loss.

Yeah, Chacon was horrendous in that inning. Damon hits the grand slam, the other team is demoralized, and he gets them right back into the game. But Proctor was terrible (and I know the guy is tired, but seriously). He lets the inherited runner score, but worse, he walks Soriano to start the eighth, and when he did, even with Mo coming in, I knew the game was over. Walking a guy to start the inning with that speed with a one-run lead never leads to good things. And it’s been said before and I’ll just repeat it: with Proctor and Mo doing extra duty in the Wright-started game, Torre was pushing the envelope with them today. He has to trust other people.

Beam. Okay, sure, he put a fastball over the plate and gave up a MONSTER home run. But he still looked really good. And not to honk my own horn or anything, Steve, but I told you that scouting report was all wrong: he throws hard, his fastball doesn’t sink, and he has nothing to do with Jeff Nelson. A nervous-as-hell Beam performed reasonably well and looks, at least to me, like he belongs in the big leagues. I hope he sticks around for a while and improves.

The offense fired early, but they missed a ton of opportunities, and Melky had some horrible at-bats (he swung at quite a few ball fours that would have walked in a run).

Anyway, just an all-out ugly loss. Despite the home run, the highlight was seeing Beam getting out big leaguers. I have a feeling Wang will have a good game tomorrow — he always does well against people that haven’t seen him before.

7. June 18th, 2006 | 8:25 am

I find it hard to believe that Sickels, for three years in a row – yes, I checked – has been misquoting the MPH on Beam’s FB. Maybe he just added some MPH this year?

I didn’t see him pitch yesterday. What were the reading on the YES gun for him?

8. June 18th, 2006 | 8:31 am

FWIW, here’s a quote from the paper today on his MPH:

“Beam, the Yankees’ 10th-round pick in the 2003 draft out of the University of Mississippi, was called up yesterday when Aaron Small was designated for assignment. Beam spent all of 2005 in Class A and began this year with Double-A Trenton, where he went 4-0 with a 0.86 ERA in 18 games, allowing 26 hits in 42 innings.

He was promoted to Columbus on June 4. In five appearances there, Beam — who credited adding a split-finger pitch to go along with his 91-93 mph fastball and slider — had a 3.72 ERA and 13 strikeouts in 9 2/3 innings.

Torre said Beam, 25, will assume the seventh-inning role while Scott Proctor moves to the eighth-inning role in Kyle Farnsworth’s absence.”

9. baileywalk
      June 18th, 2006 | 10:57 am

Ah, Steve.

I’ve been following Beam since he came into the Yankee organization. Sickels never saw him pitch — in fact, he hardly sees any of the minor-league players play — and he’s been going on false scouting reports. In his most recent book, he confused Beam and Colter Bean (because of the name), which goes to show what he knows.

Beam has always had a good fastball. He was a starter, but bombed in that role, and got put into the bullpen. From last year, when he had a coming out party, his fastball topped out at 96. This year he’s been throwing 93-96. The readings on the YES gun bear this out — he was throwing his fastball 92-94 consistently, and hit 95 once. (I’ve seen Beam pitch in Trenton and he throws hard — unequivocally hard.)

Yankees fan probably don’t see the significance of the Beam move. He was too old for A-ball last year and came into this year, at 25, with a lot to prove. He was put into AA, dominated, moved to AAA, and is now on the team — at the expense of an older, ineffective pitcher. This is quite something, if you think about it. He went from AA to the big club in one year, and they chose to give an unproven pitcher a chance, based on his great numbers and stuff, over an older guy who was already on the team and got the job done for Torre last year.

Melky may be the main figure in the “Baby Bombers” story, but Beam is the true sign of change.

10. Don
      June 18th, 2006 | 1:28 pm

Whipping-boy Mel isn’t around, otherwise the usual suspects would be blaming him for all those starters lack of innings.

Wasnt it Mel who was responsible for RJ’s struggles in 2005? Anyone wanna try that again or still believe it?

Anyone see any real difference in the pitching staff sans Mel? Didn’t Small and Chacon have their success under Mel’s tutelage?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Melky needs to pick it up with his hitting as he’s fallen below .260 right now. His lack of power, so far, makes that BA look awfully bad.