• June 19th @ The Phillies

Posted by on June 19th, 2006 · Comments (10)

Something like 20-years ago, the “Magic Eye” thing was really big. I first remembered seeing them in the local mall. Then, they got so popular that the newspaper was carrying them in the comics section.

The way it worked was – you would stare at a point in the picture, and then relax your eyes, and then you would see these “magical” things inside the picture – like rivers of color, or a funky space alien, or something silly like that.

It never worked for me. All my friends would carry on about all the “cool” stuff that they could see – like it was an acid trip. Me? I would stare, and stare, and stare – and I’d get nothing.

Basically, looking at these things was a total waste of my time – and the more I did it, the more annoyed I would become (since I knew there was “something” good in there, according to others, but all I could see was a blur of seemingly nothingness).

For roughly two decades, since the height of the “Magic Eye” craze, I do not recall having this experience – of watching something, staring at it with great intent, thinking it was going to be good, and it essentially becoming a mind numbing waste of time.

But, I swear, watching this game tonight, it all came back to me. The more that I stared at this game, the more I saw nothing. The whole thing is just one big blur. And, it’s not pretty – at least not to me.

Comments on June 19th @ The Phillies

1. JeremyM
      June 19th, 2006 | 11:54 pm

Ever seen Mallrats, Steve? There’s a guy in there that stares at the Magic Eye deal trying to see a sailboat almost the entire movie.

Sounds like a good analogy. Cabrera has fallen pretty swiftly, do you think he’s playing to ability now or just weathering a slump? It seems to me that they’re just one bat short, and that one bat is Sheffield. Having to bat the pitcher hasn’t helped the last 4 games, although obviously both teams have to do that. I don’t know, I was pumped about this team, and now I’m ready to jump off a bridge. That’s baseball.

2. baileywalk
      June 20th, 2006 | 12:13 am

Jeez, guys, chill out. The guy who puts his fists through walls after tough losses is telling you to chill out.

What we saw tonight was bad, but not without one good thing: a well-pitched game by Randy Johnson. That’s two in a row. And his velocity was up in both of them.

Here’s why I absolutely DO NOT understand Joe Torre. The pitcher is a free out. Why put Bubba in the game and bat him eighth and give them TWO automatic outs? Bubba cannot hit. And how many times in that game did the one-two punch of Bubba and Randy cost the team runs? Randy actually made more solid contact than Bubba. You cannot put a guy who can’t hit in the lineup when we’re playing in an NL park. It makes the lineup seven batters long. Also, why is Melky still batting second? IS TORRE BLIND? He’s clearly struggling. Move Jeter back to the two hole. How fucking hard is this? Just do it. Everyone knew Melky would even out, and I expect him to start hitting again, but let him struggle down in the lineup. These are the types of things that drive you nuts. And if you think Bubba needs a day of work and Bernie a day of rest, why not do the same thing in Washington for Giambi and Phillips when you have a lefty on the mound who lefties can’t hit?

A-Rod has been hitting again, and he had the big hit in Washington, but Giambi and Jeter get on with two outs and A-Rod strikes out looking. It was rather painful to watch.

That’s about as good as Myers is ever going to look. His curveball was sharp and he was able to throw it for strikes all night.

Cano’s error (that was not a hit, by the way) is what really killed the game. If he makes that play, the Yankees might win.

Also, that was a horrible attempt by Posada in the eighth. Farns gets charged with the wild pitch, but Posada has to handle that.

As much as it kills me to be losing these close games to NL teams, the one bright spot is that the last two games have been pitched well. We need starts like this from Johnson. You miss those big bats of Sheff and Matsui right now, but I think Melky will get out of his funk and that Andy will hit again once we get back to the Stadium. With the offense as it currently is, Bubba’s name should be nowhere near a lineup card.

We’re two behind the Sox, who got a win out of Snyder, just claimed off of waivers from the Royals. Yeah, that hurts. But with the losses recently, things could be a lot worse.

3. Jen
      June 20th, 2006 | 12:23 am

Don’t worry Steve, I could never see those things either. In fact my right eye would start to burn and water if I stared too long. Luckily tonight I had game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals to divert my attention.

4. Don
      June 20th, 2006 | 1:00 am

Melky is looking quite bad and his lack of power makes it much worse. I imagine 10 days/two weeks more before making a move.

Cano is beginning to bother me. Too many guys left in scoring position, again. Then the poor play.

5. Joel
      June 20th, 2006 | 8:25 am

Farnsworth has been a disaster. They low-balled Gordon with a 2 year $10 million offer, and then used the excuse that “he really wanted to close anyway.”

Believe me, had they given this guy a respectable offer up front he would have stayed for the chance to win a World Series. And Cashman’s mantra about John Schuerholz offering Farnsworth a ton of money to be the closer in Atlanta because he is supposedly so good means nothing. Schuerholz’s team is about 700 games out of first place, and they have no bullpen.

And, can Cano take ONE FREAKIN’ STRIKE with the bases loaded late in a one-run game!!! ONE!!! Cormier threw him four consecutive balls. He is the antithesis of a Grind it Out/Moneyball player; a .320 hitter with an OBP not much higher.

6. MJ
      June 20th, 2006 | 8:49 am

I know it was only the first inning but Posada’s AB with the bases loaded really annoyed me. Here’s Myers sweating out a 20+ pitch inning, issuing back-to-back walks to Giambi and ARod and Posada hacks at a crummy first pitch and pops out to the catcher.

Don, Cano’s a homegrown Yank. I thought you only liked the “true Yankees” that came up through the system.

And Joel, we heard you the first time.

7. rbj
      June 20th, 2006 | 9:20 am

Everyone else in my family could get those magic eyes to work but me. I had always figured there was something wrong with me — now I know that those things are just lies.

8. baileywalk
      June 20th, 2006 | 10:05 am

Anyone else think that Farnsworth’s command problems have something to do with his bad back? He’s had this bad back most of the year, and it’s clear that his delivery is fouled up. Maybe he’s compensating for the back pain and this is why he’s constantly wide outside. It makes sense. Farnsworth had excellent control last year.

9. hopbitters
      June 20th, 2006 | 11:27 am

What you need to do is “see” something better than what everyone else does. “Hey, yeah, the boat is pretty nifty, but get a load of that girl sunbathing on the deck!” And then go watch the game while everyone else gives themselves headaches.

10. Don
      June 20th, 2006 | 2:04 pm

I believe Cano has driven in 3 of his last 30 baserunners.

MJ…. I have no idea what you’re talking about since I never posted a thing. You may have inferred it however.