• Carl Pavano’s Ain’t Got Nothin’ On Me!

Posted by on June 25th, 2006 · Comments (11)

This morning, I was lying on the floor playing with our new puppy – who is now 4-months old.

He was making this whiney-type noise, and, I decided, trying to be cute but really being stupid, to mimic him. Well, I guess that whiney-noise is puppy-speak for “OK, sucka, let’s rock!”

Because, the second that I started making the noise, he pounced out at me and got his mouth on my right ear. And, his teeth sunk into the top of my ear like fish hooks. I quickly went one way, and he went the other, and, well, let’s just say that my ear got ripped open like a bag of potato chips. So, it was quickly off to the local ER.

Long story short, I’m fine. I just needed to get some stitches – so that they could put my ear back together. I should be healed in a week – with a small scar at the worst.

But, as I’m sitting in the ER, waiting to get the stitches, I noticed that there was a radio playing at the nurse’s station. And, what song was playing? True story: It’s was Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealer’s Wheel.

Anyone who has seen Reservoir Dogs can appreciate this connection. I just starting to laugh out-loud when I realized what song was playing. The nurses probably thought “This guy is nuts!”

Funny song-story aside, this whole episode has given me a new level of understanding for when ball players get injured doing stupid things. Trust me, it can happen quickly and easily!

Comments on Carl Pavano’s Ain’t Got Nothin’ On Me!

1. rbj
      June 25th, 2006 | 4:45 pm

So who’s coming up to blog for you while you’re out with a puppy related injury? Are there any escapees from Cuba who are bloggers?

2. baileywalk
      June 25th, 2006 | 4:49 pm

You missed a hell of a game.

3. jonm
      June 25th, 2006 | 5:08 pm

I’m glad that you’re all right, Steve. When we were dating, my girlfriend’s (now wife’s) cat was staying at my house and there was another cat who lived at the house. The first night the cat saw the other cat and fled and was missing for a day. I found the cat the next day, brought it back, and was taking it into the house. All was fine until I loosened my grip on the cat to open the door. The cat saw the other cat once again and stuck his teeth deep into my hand while I tried to pull away. I have to say that was the most physical pain that I have ever felt. My hand swelled to twice its size and tetanus shots were necessary. The doctor told me that cat bites were secondary only to monkey bites in terms of health consequences.

Ironically, after that start, the cat is much more attached to me than it is to my wife who had rescued him off the street.

4. brockdc
      June 25th, 2006 | 5:49 pm

You gonna bark all day, little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?

If you were Pavano in this instance, your hamstring and rotator cuff would’ve both blown out as well.

5. baileywalk
      June 25th, 2006 | 7:29 pm

What a little dog defending itself while Steve tried to molest it and steal its innocence has to do with Pavano, I have no idea.

…just kidding, Steve…

6. Garcia
      June 25th, 2006 | 8:06 pm

That’s great, Baileywalk. Poor dog couldn’t use his paws this time.

7. JeremyM
      June 25th, 2006 | 8:32 pm

Dogs can cause a lot of damage, that’s for sure. We have a Boston Terrier (that I rechristend a New York Terrier:) that we adopted from a rescue group. He’s had kind of a rough life, so it’s been a struggle, the worst of which was him deciding to fight our Scottish Terrier and almost getting his face ripped off in the process. Luckily, we broke it up while it was only $160 worth of damage and nothing that couldn’t be stitched together.
      On balance though it’s been worth it, it’s just too bad they get put in these situations-the Scottie was adopted from the pound where he was given up twice, despite being the best dog a guy could ask for.

8. June 25th, 2006 | 11:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words and the laughs all!

BTW, I was able to catch the end of the 1st game today. Glad that I did.

9. MJ
      June 25th, 2006 | 11:25 pm

Hopefully you didn’t catch the second one. Giambi’s lousy defense and our inability to hit with runners on base cost us yet another sweep that was completely within our grasp (Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, Marlins).

10. hopbitters
      June 26th, 2006 | 10:41 am

Now he’s got a taste for blood. It’s all downhill from here.

11. June 26th, 2006 | 11:07 am

Actually, he feels real bad about it. You can tell. He’s been very low ever since. He’s a smart dog.