• June 25th vs. The Marlins

Posted by on June 25th, 2006 · Comments (12)

The Yankees have now scored 2 runs in their last 21 innings at the plate. How is that possible when you have players like A-Rod, Giambi, Jeter, Damon, and Posada in your line-up?

And, now, with Cano’s hammy, it could be more of a struggle to score runs – if Robinson is out as long as it took Bubba Crosby to heal his hamstring.

Thank goodness for Mussina’s effort in the first game today.

The Yankees are now 11-11 for the month of June – with 4 games to go this month. That’s bad news. This was supposed to be an easy month for New York.

The Yankees schedule in July and August is tough. We may just be looking at a killer June swoon here. The Yankees better play better against the Braves now – with the Mets coming after that.

Comments on June 25th vs. The Marlins

1. MJ
      June 25th, 2006 | 11:56 pm

I try to be optimistic but I always look at teams in hard-core slumps like the Braves as the teams that will snap out of it eventually and, unfortunately, their time might be now versus us.

Also, what the hell is up with all these injuries? We can’t keep anyone healthy anymore. It’s getting pretty frustrating knowing that we had a World Series team coming into the season but we got screwed by some bad breaks this year.

2. June 26th, 2006 | 12:27 am

Well, the Braves won today…which made me happy because I didn’t want them coming into New York with a 10+ game losing streak on their shoulders.

As for all the doom and gloom…yeah, we should have had a better month of June, but we are playing much better now than we were a week ago.

I prefer to say, instead of being 11-11 in June, the Yankees are 4 for their last 5.

Yay for the Yankees.

3. Don
      June 26th, 2006 | 1:06 am

If ever a game was deserving of being blacked out it was this one. The fans didn’t show and neither did the Yankees. Too bad ESPN did.

4. rbs10025
      June 26th, 2006 | 3:38 am

“Too bad ESPN did.”

ESPN showed the game?

I walked into a bar on Broadway in the 100s at 9:45 and ESPN was showing the Astros-Chisox game.

The owner-bartender was pissed about it too, because he’s a Yankees fan and because he was losing potential customers.

5. Jen
      June 26th, 2006 | 8:28 am

Well, the Marlins did have an edge for the second game. It was a wet night and there was only about 6,000 people there. It was like a home game for them.

6. June 26th, 2006 | 9:51 am

LOL Jen.

Memo to self: Next time the Yankees have a D/N as the result of a PPD, get tickets for the 2nd game. There are lots of seats and it’s the best chance I’ll have to sit in field level seats.

7. Jen
      June 26th, 2006 | 10:19 am

Steve, if that happens again just get a bleacher seat. It’s only $12 and they’ll let you sit in main level anyway. In fact they wanted us to go to the main part of the Stadium so they could shut the bleachers down for the night. A good chunk of people left, only about 50-60 of us stayed out there.

8. jonm
      June 26th, 2006 | 10:34 am

Ken Rosenthal has the rumor that the Yankees are looking at Aubrey Huff. Because of Huff’s salary this year and the fact that he is a free agent, Rosenthal says that they would only have to give up a marginal prospect. The whole deal would only end up costing the Yankees about $3 million.

I don’t think that it’s a bad idea given Huff’s rebound in June. He’s a lefty hitter and could be mixed and matched with Bernie. Bernie’s playing better than expected but he’s getting too many at-bats, especially against right-handed pitchers. He and Huff would form the basis of a pretty good platoon.

9. hopbitters
      June 26th, 2006 | 10:48 am

The game was on one of the ESPN alternate channels. The only reason I found it is because I was watching the White Sox and I saw a “highlight” from the Yankee game during one of the studio breaks. Lucky me.

10. baileywalk
      June 26th, 2006 | 11:04 am

The first game was brilliant, the second game was ugly. I fully expected the Yankees to lose the second game because they can’t hit young pitchers they’ve never seen before. Never.

Giambi isn’t as bad as that game made him look — it’s unbelievable that he’s simply can’t throw — but he is the DH now. Since Phillips didn’t play first in the day game, couldn’t he play there in the second? I know Joe wanted to give Damon’s foot a rest, but still.

The Yankees better hope Cano is okay. I don’t even want to think of the offense without him. Or the idea of Cairo as an everyday player. Yikes.

So if they get Huff, they’re going to put him in the outfield? I suppose it’s not a bad idea. And since he can also play first and third, it gives them a little bit more depth (as in, not playing Cairo at first base). I’d be shocked if the D-Rays give him up easily, though. They always want top prospects for all of their players.

Totally, totally off-topic here, but they put on the end of the Astros-White Sox game last night after the Yankee game and did anyone else see Brad Lidge give up a grand slam to tie the game in the ninth? He has completely lost it. Either his stuff isn’t as good (a geeked-up radar gun clocked him at 99 miles an hour) or he’s mentally gone. (Mostly it’s his control.) But, wow, talk about falling apart. His ERA is probably over six now. And he already lost his closer’s job once — and might again. If I was the Astros, I’d be looking for a closer. To think Baltimore offered Tejada for him and the Astros turned them down this off-season.

11. MJ
      June 26th, 2006 | 11:33 am

Bailey, I saw that Lidge grand slam as well. The timing was uncanny because Iguchi hit it two pitches after ESPN switched over to the ChiSox/Astros game. And I thought the same thing too – Lidge giving up yet another big homer. He’s kind of like Benitez in that he can pump the fastball up to 100 mph and he’s got a nice breaking ball but for whatever reason he always manages to serve up the big hits at the end.

I didn’t know they offered Lidge for Tejada straight up. The O’s should thank their lucky stars that they have Chris Ray closing games and still have their best trading chip around for a potential deal with someone else.

12. Don
      June 26th, 2006 | 2:27 pm

It was on DirecTV channel 210, an ESPN alternate channel.