• Marchman: Reyes Better Than Jeter

Posted by on June 27th, 2006 · Comments (7)

In the New York Sun, yesterday, Tim Marchman wrote (about the Mets Jose Reyes):

To put it another way, salary considerations aside, I not only wouldn’t trade Reyes for Derek Jeter straight-up, I would laugh at the idea. His numbers will go down, but Jose Reyes has arrived.

Reyes might end up as good as Jeter, in time. But, then again, Wil Cordero looked good at age 23 as well (in terms of being a great offensive SS).

I want to see more than three great months from Reyes before I start putting him in the Jeter class.

Comments on Marchman: Reyes Better Than Jeter

1. MJ
      June 27th, 2006 | 1:09 pm

This is about what you can expect from NY sportswriters these days. It’s the same sort of stuff that WFAN radio hosts are putting out there too. Somehow, 75 games into the 2006 season, the Mets overshadow everything anyone’s ever done in the game of baseball.

In the meantime, I’m rooting for the Mets vs. the Red Sox this week and then I’m rooting for the Braves like I’ve never rooted before. I hope the Mets sweep Boston and plunk Big Papi right in the friggin’ eye.

2. June 27th, 2006 | 1:28 pm

Boston sportswriters are the same – did you see Bill Simmons (who I usually like despite his fan allegiance) anointing Papelbon as the new Mariano Rivera?

I do hope every exciting young prospect lives up to his promise – yes, even including Reyes and Papelbon – because new great players keep baseball exciting and fresh. But I also enjoy it when this kind of premature coronation does come back to bite the homer sportswriters who make them.

3. June 27th, 2006 | 1:34 pm

Well, it’s almost always silly to trade a 23 year old for a 32 year old. But if you give me Jeter at 23 vs. Reyes at 23, I take Jeter.

4. Don
      June 27th, 2006 | 1:56 pm

Two weeks or so ago Reyes was hitting around .247, so now he has a two week white-hot streak and we get this.

Know this, anti-Yankee roots go deep in the NY media. Years ago most sports writers had grown up as Dodger or Giants fans and naturally hated the big club. This has continued down the years, substituting Mets fans for Dodgers or Giants fans.

Back in the late 1970′s a Red Sox announcer said, on air, that he could not comprehend the anti-Yankee bias in the New York media. And why they didn’t treasure what they had.

5. baileywalk
      June 27th, 2006 | 1:58 pm

Even with Reyes’ current hot streak, his numbers are still kind of meh. It looks like he might actually fill out and be the player the Mets think he is, but he’s still just a guy with great speed. Comparing him to Jeter is ridiculous because Jeter is much more of a complete hitter.

Also, Jeter has put up monster offensive numbers. When Jeter was 24-25, he hit .349, had an OBP of .428, slugged .552, and drove in 102 runs. Reyes will never approach a year like that.

6. JohnnyC
      June 27th, 2006 | 3:03 pm

When this current hot streak ends, he’ll go back to being what he’s been for almost two full seasons now, the leading out-maker in the league. But, hey, this is the same group of people who thought Mookie Wilson and Lenny Dykstra were anything more than replacement level players (of course, that’s before Lenny hit the steroids big time in Philly).

7. Nick from Washington Heights
      June 27th, 2006 | 3:32 pm

I think Tim Marchman is usually measured and reasonable with his opinions. I disagree with his take here, but I don’t think it’s a case of anti-Yanks bias. I might be wrong but I thought he was a Yanks fan. Anyway, I think one of his points is interesting and I’m wondering if it’s true. Does a hot streak like the one Reyes in on signify that he, in fact, has reached superstar level? It’s undeniable that he’s been otherworldly these last couple of weeks. But, I still lean towards Steve’s thinking. I’d like to see him do this for a few more months.