• Playing Cashman

Posted by on June 28th, 2006 · Comments (14)

If you were Brian Cashman, and the Phillies called you today, and offered (to trade you) Bobby Abreu, David Bell and Brett Myers in exchange for Alex Rodriguez, Jaret Wright and Kevin Thompson – straight up, no cash involved – what would you do?

It’s an interesting question.

The thought of playing in that bandbox in Philly and getting away from New York might interest A-Rod. And, while Myers has serious baggage, he would be (talent-wize) a welcome addition to the Yankees rotation this season.

You could bat Abreu second in New York, and just let him take his walks, and then bat Jeter in the 3rd slot. Bell has no stick – but he can catch the ball and he plays hard all the time.

The Phillies could just slide in Shane Victorino to take over for Abreu. And, A-Rod at 3rd would give Philly one of the best offensive infields in the National League.

If this was a real situation, because of A-Rod’s contract, etc., it would take weeks to be worked out. But, assume that you could do it with a quick pull of the trigger.

As a Yankees fan, would you make his deal, today?

Comments on Playing Cashman

1. June 28th, 2006 | 12:14 pm

No chance. Bell plays in a bandbox, slugs .354 and is always hurt. Abreu plays an “interesting” right field and comes off that contract in a couple years and if Abreu is under-appreciated in Philly, the NY fans will chew him up and spit him out for his perceived lack of effort. I’m probably overvaluing A-Rod but I wouldn’t really even consider that trade as you have it laid out.

2. JohnnyC
      June 28th, 2006 | 12:16 pm

The ARod issue aside (I think it’s farfetched to even think we can trade him in any deal that wasn’t simply a salary dump), acquiring Abreu doesn’t get me that excited. Since the All-Star break last year, his power has disappeared. And while he continues to get on base at a stellar rate, he’s not as fast as he was earlier in his career. He has also declined defensively in recent seasons. He’s at that age where sudden, implacable declines do occur (think Bernie). If the point is to win one more time and damn the future, sure, Abreu could be a godsend. But I’d rather have ARod’s next five seasons (as bad as he looks now, common sense tells you he’s still an elite player)than Abreu for the remainder of his contract. If we can acquire Craig Wilson or Raoul Ibanez (or both), I’d be satisfied…not ecstatic but satisfied.

3. June 28th, 2006 | 12:23 pm

James – Bell played in 150 games last year. That’s always hurt?

4. RICH
      June 28th, 2006 | 12:26 pm

There’s a difference between acquiring a misanthrope and getting someone like Myers who’s seems to be disgusting if the eye witness accounts are accurate.

I don’t see any team touching Myers for a while.

5. MJ
      June 28th, 2006 | 12:39 pm

From what I hear about Bobby Abreu, I’d rather have ARod. Not only because ARod’s a better player but because he genuinely gives a crap about showing up and working hard. Abreu seems to have the aloof and disinterested attitude of Manny when he’s “being Manny” but only half the talent of Mr. Ramirez.

6. jonm
      June 28th, 2006 | 12:45 pm

No, I don’t do it. You would be getting three question marks for one of the five best players in the game. Abreu is aging and expensive, Bell is an average player at best, and Myers has behavioral issues. Substituting Hamels for Myers gets you closer, but I’m not even sure that I would do that.

The package that you proposed is better than what the Yankees got for Henderson, but not much better and that certainly is a low benchmark!

7. hopbitters
      June 28th, 2006 | 12:51 pm

Myers : hopefully he’ll be headed to prison where he’ll switch from pitching to catching. Wright, if nothing else, is free to pitch his 5-6 innings when needed.

8. rbj
      June 28th, 2006 | 12:53 pm

I also say no. Myers is a real question mark. If this is how he acts in Philly, it would only get worse in NY (granting that Philly isn’t an easy place to play either).
      And yeah, A-Rod’s in a bit of a slump right now. But last year he hit 48 HR and won the MVP. Outside of his rookie year of 1995 he’s only hit less than 30 HR once, and has 7 years of 40+ dingers. You don’t get rid of that proven track record because of one bad month, or even one bad year.
      Personally, I think we should all just lay off Alex for a while, let him relax, and then his bat will come back.

9. MJ
      June 28th, 2006 | 1:01 pm

Amen, RBJ.

10. June 28th, 2006 | 2:44 pm

Steve,
      Yes, Bell played 150 games last year but more often than not, he was banged up and not close to 100%. Why they refused to play Polanco at third when they had him, I have no idea but living just north of Philly during last season, every single time I put on the local game, he was battling injuries. Of course, they might have just been making excuses for his play but more often than not, they were talking about his back spasms messing up his swing.

11. June 28th, 2006 | 3:45 pm

I wouldn’t do it, either.

12. rbj
      June 28th, 2006 | 7:50 pm

I think Alex answered the question, today.

13. Don
      June 29th, 2006 | 2:23 am

Steve, I’ll chalk your trade proposal up to a dog bite and reaction to any meds the docs prescribed.

Although I’m not opposed to trading him for the right package and paying part of his salary.

14. brockdc
      June 29th, 2006 | 1:10 pm

No, for the reasons listed above. I agree that, with his salary, there’s no way to get equal value for A-Rod right now. Keep him and somehow learn to deal with his god-awful .290 BA, 40 HRs, and .400 OBP.