• The Mets Test

Posted by on June 29th, 2006 · Comments (12)

BlueBooks.jpg

Tuesday June 27th
    NY Mets 4
    Boston 9

Wednesday June 28th
    NY Mets 2
    Boston 10

Thursday June 29th
    NY Mets 2
    Boston 4

Yes, the New York Mets, the team that everyone is picking to win the National League this season – and the team that many are picking to win the World Series this year – were swept in their recent series against the Boston Red Sox. And, the Mets had their two best starting pitchers throw in these games.

Seeing this result, I believe that the Mets coming into Yankee Stadium now is an excellent test for the Yankees.

If Boston could make the Mets look like Mutts for three straight without breaking a sweat, then the Yankees, if they are as good as Boston, should be able to man-handle the Mets as well, right?

And, if the Mets whoop the Yankees this weekend, on the Yankees home turf, then that is a strong signal that the Yankees are inferior to both the Mets and Boston, correct?

It’s a simple “If A > B, and if C > B, then C could be at least equal to A” thing. And, for sure, “If A > B, and B > C, then it’s probably true that C < A as well as B."

In a prefect world, this Yankees fan would like to see Alex Rodriguez, fresh off his Back-Monkey-Repelling homer on Wednesday, take it to the Mets this weekend, say, to the tune of a 7 for 13 series (with 3 walks) including 3 homeruns.

Is that asking for too much? Even considering that the Mets will be throwing a 50-year-old El Duque, a close-to-five ERA Steve Trachsel, and the less-than-legendary Alay Soler in these games?

If A-Rod can parlay the clutchness of his last At Bat into this upcoming series with the Mets, and carry the Yankees over the next three games (and enable his team to repeat what Boston has done in their last three games), he will build a cache of fan appreciation that will probably serve as a Get-Out-Being-Booed Card for the remainder of the summer.

Of course, if Alex Rodriguez goes 1 for 15 over the next three games with six whiffs, well, then you, I, and the rest of the world knows what will follow.

Yankees, A-Rod, you may now lift your pencils, turn to the first page of the test, and begin.

Comments on The Mets Test

1. MJ
      June 30th, 2006 | 8:46 am

I guess this makes me an ARod apologist but that’s exactly the kind of stuff I think is unfair. No other Yankee is supposed to go 7-13 with 3 homers and certainly no other Yankee is expected to do so or else end up with boos. It’s a self-perpetuating issue – we expect ARod to do something that Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle might not be able to do and then we boo him when we don’t get what we want.

If ARod goes 4-13 with 1 homer and a couple of RBI on a sac fly and a seeing-eye single and draws a couple of walks people will say how he always chokes against the Mets.

It’s not unfair to expect slightly more from the best players but it’s unfair to have an all-or-nothing attitude where if “A” doesn’t happen then it’ll be “B”, as in BOOOO.

2. June 30th, 2006 | 9:41 am

As the Amazing Steiner-man once said “With great pay comes great responsibility.”

Therefore, I expect A-Rod (and Giambi, and Jeter, and the Big Unit, and Mussina) to do well.

3. MJ
      June 30th, 2006 | 10:30 am

And yet when the others don’t live up to expectations, they don’t get even half the venom. I don’t expect people to feel sorry for ARod but the hatred has reached irrational levels.

4. rmd0311
      June 30th, 2006 | 10:49 am

I’m an AROD supporter… I never boo’ed I do get pissed off. Specially if I’m at the stadium and he whiffs on a big spot. I do think that it is crucial though for him to come into this series swinging the big bat. If he’s gonna keep the monkey off he has to have a great series. Maybe not 7-13 w/ 3 walks and 3 homers… But definitely a good series.

5. June 30th, 2006 | 10:57 am

Hey, am I the only one who remembers Jeter, Mo, Giambi, Unit all being booed at one time or another? It happens to them all.

6. rmd0311
      June 30th, 2006 | 12:04 pm

No Steve., I have seen Jeter, Giambi and the Unit booed… Even Mo.

None should have been booed, but we are needy fans. Too needy at times.

7. RICH
      June 30th, 2006 | 12:37 pm

Did Steinbrenner say that when he thought paying Oscar Gamble a lot of money would make him a better player?

I would say the responsibility would be of whoever APPROVED the pay amount, not the person accepting the money

8. June 30th, 2006 | 12:59 pm

Let me understand this…..

My employer agrees to acquire me from another firm, knowing that I make more money than anyone else in his company. The reason they were willing to take on that salary was because my resume looked so good.

But, when I start working for them, I don’t do some of the key responsibilities that I listed on my resume. And, I start to get heat for what I’m not doing.

So, (?) under this logic, I can go back to my employer and say “Hey, get off my back. I’m just the lousy performer that I am. It’s your fault that I’m being paid all this money. It doesn’t mean that I should be held accountable to perform.”

Really?

9. MJ
      June 30th, 2006 | 2:01 pm

I think that’s far too black-and-white a scenario.

This ARod thing has been beaten into the ground. Those that hate him can/will do so no matter what he does. Those that don’t, won’t. Everyone in between is free to boo whomever they wish.

10. June 30th, 2006 | 3:05 pm

I’ve had a 16×20 framed picture of A-Rod on my wall since 1999 – and I’m a Yankees fan. No one wants to love him more than me. Well, maybe his wife, I would hope.

But, that said, I cannot ignore the numbers that say he has not produced in the crunch time for New York this year. And, I’m willing to say that it’s a disappointment.

Does that make me a hater?

I’ll say this, when he starts hitting in those spots, I’ll be the first to plan the parade.

11. RICH
      June 30th, 2006 | 3:19 pm

Maybe I’m belaboring the point:

You’re the person responsible for acquiring artwork for resale and when you try to sell the paintings they don’t return as much as you thought they would.

Does this guy’s boss blame the paintings or the person getting the paintings?

He probably blames both.

Yeah, it’d be nice if Arod’s June numbers were as good as May’s but they weren’t.

My frustration level (fairly low) with Arod is what it is with any of the better Yankees when they don’t do well in a situation. I get disappointed if a Bernie, Posada, Jeter, Damon, Giambi, any of them, pop up or swing at the first pitch, or GDP, or whatever.

12. redbug
      June 30th, 2006 | 6:17 pm

“You can’t pose as the straw that stirs the drink and then just suck – you have to stir too.”

My favorite line of the month!