• June 30th vs. The Mets

Posted by on June 30th, 2006 · Comments (8)

Once again, the Yankees struggle to score runs. And, this is strange, as every Yankees starter reached base in this game, at least once, with the exception of A-Rod and Cairo. You have to tip your cap to El Duque. He battled. He came back out after the rain. And, he battled some more. He may be a PITA to some, but, if he can stand out there, he’s going to go at it. And, while he might bend some, he won’t break a lot.

It’s just a good thing that the Mets offense is even more inept right now than the Yankees offense at this moment.

Everyday Scottie Proctor and Kyle “Do I play polo? Not really, sir.” Farnsworth were huge in this game. I know that there are not many options for the Yankees these days, out of the pen, sans Rivera. But, I was still repeating “Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is being afraid but doing it anyway.” to myself in my head when they came into the game – thinking this is what Torre should be thinking as he went to these two in such a close game.

Man, if not for the rain delay, this game would have been over around 9:45 local time. Two and a half hour games are nice once in a while.

Lastly, thank you Florida Marlins (for showing the world that the Red Sox can be beaten) tonight.

Comments on June 30th vs. The Mets

1. Yu Hsing Chen
      June 30th, 2006 | 11:57 pm

Ahahahah, good point on Farnsworth looking like a water polo player.

this game sums up the Yankee second half June perfectly… great pitching, horrible RISP.

hopefully Proctor and Farnsy will be effective again now.

2. baileywalk
      July 1st, 2006 | 12:05 am

Steve, how can you say that Torre has nothing to go to outside of Mo in the bullpen? Ron Villone has been amazing for this team, even if he’s not appreciated by his manager. And even though he doesn’t want to use them — unless it’s a blowout — Beam and Smith are talented players with good arms. If Torre split the seventh-inning role among Smith, Beam and Proctor, Proctor would work less and be more effective, and the team would lose nothing because, though Torre doesn’t know it, both of those guys are better than Proctor.

It didn’t surprise me that the Yanks didn’t score a lot of runs. You knew Duque would bring his ‘A’ game for this one. I’m just happy that Giambi continues to get big hits. I can’t imagine where this team would be without him. Even Jim Kaat complimented him — compared him to the holy Papi! — so you know Giambi is rocking and rolling right now.

It’s kind of frustrating that Moose didn’t come back out after four — even if just to get the win — but apparently he tweaked his groin. Better to play it safe. But it’s up to Johnson tomorrow to go at least seven.

I have to say that after Boston swept the Mets and looked like they’d never lose, things got a LITTLE dark, but the Sox losing to the Marlins and the Yanks one-hitting the Mets sure does lift a burden.

3. Rich
      July 1st, 2006 | 2:36 am

Does anyone know what happened with Proctor? I thought for sure his arm was in Jorgie’s hand as he raised it to call time. After he demanded he stay in the game, I came to the conclusion that HE is going to pitch until his arm falls off. At first, I, like many Yanks fans, was convinced Torre is just running him out there as the “best option” every night disregarding the man’s health and well-being. It seems like Proctor WANTS to pitch everyday. He may be hurt, but he demanded to stay out there. After pitching 2-3 days in a row, he tells Joe that he “is available to pitch.” Now, it is Joe’s responsibility to not pitch him, but if the guy says he’s good to go, I guess you have to trust him, right?

I really hope he didn’t injure himself. Sturtze pitched hurt for how long (not that he was good anyway)? He maintained his velocity too. Proctor hit 97 tonight, but the gun was off all night. I wonder what Jorgie saw that nobody else did.

4. RICH
      July 1st, 2006 | 5:31 am

During the postgame Torre mentioned Proctor was short of breath and Posada must have noticed it.

5. July 1st, 2006 | 9:23 am

Yu Hsing Chen – actually, it’s a “Heaven Can Wait” joke. Leo Farnsworth is a character in the movie.

In the YES post-game, they asked Proctor what that was all about. He said he was fine and told them to go ask Posada. FWIW, he was throwing 97, so, it can’t be terrible.

baileywalk – Villone has been amazing? What’s his BR/9 IP rate? Don’t get me wrong, I love the guy – he’s a Jersey-Yankees-fan too. But, he’s not been stellar. Just good.

6. baileywalk
      July 1st, 2006 | 11:20 am

First of all, I was one of the few people who actually WANTED Villone on this team. I had to defend the poor guy on a daily basis over at the YES web site. People said he was horrible, would be a disaster, etc., etc. So even if you think he’s just “good” — and I think he’s better than that — that’s amazing in my book, considering he came here as a guy no one had any faith in.

But look at his line for the year:

35 IP, 23 hits, 8 ER, 1 HR, 20/27 BB/K, 2.06 ERA, .192 BAA (.140 BAA with lefties).

We traded a 26-year-old minor-leaguer for this guy, and that minor-leaguer probably won’t ever make the Marlins’ team. Talk about a deal.

He walks too many, but he gets out of trouble, too.

7. JeremyM
      July 1st, 2006 | 12:50 pm

I’m with you bailey. I still think he should’ve finished that one Wang game. Do I think he’s the next Mo? No. But he has done the job and then some.

8. Don
      July 1st, 2006 | 2:59 pm

Can we stop the Ron Villone lovefest? The guy has a career 4.75 ERA, 1.48 WHIP.

Joe has used him just about perfectly, and I know just about no Yankee fan here will ever say that about Joe. Absence makes the heart grow fonder; familiarity breeds contempt, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So much for Randy Johnson.