• They Wouldn’t Dare, Would They?

Posted by on June 30th, 2006 · Comments (6)

I just read that Jeff Weaver might be available for free. (Hat tip to Dodger Thoughts.)

There’s no way that the Yankees would try him again in New York, would they? Not even if it was just to block Boston from getting him, right?

We saw enough of this guy in 2003, right?

Comments on They Wouldn’t Dare, Would They?

1. jonm
      June 30th, 2006 | 1:05 pm

You know, I may be crazy, but, if they don’t have to pay him and he costs a grade C prospect, I would give it a shot. Weaver’s career is in great jeopardy and proving that he can pitch in NY may be worth enough to him that he would come through.

2. June 30th, 2006 | 3:42 pm

Three-way deal?

Garbage to LA for Weaver

Weaver + ________ to Washington for Guillen and Livan (with NYY paying the freight for both).

3. June 30th, 2006 | 4:01 pm

He was DFA, right? They have 10 days to trade him, then he goes on waivers. If we pick him up on waivers we have to put him in the bigs, right? His life hasn’t been great, his little brother has beaten him out for the spot. We don’t have enough pitching, and we’ve caught lightning in a bottle before. I didn’t like him, but he was once thought to be an ace prospect and Detroit thought he was their best. It is worth a try it all it costs is cash, not players.

4. MJ
      June 30th, 2006 | 4:28 pm

A guy who got chewed up and spit out by AL hitters coming to the AL East where he can face Manny, Papi, Tejada, Glaus, Wells, and Crawford? Sounds like a plan.

I agree that if it only costs cash, I’m all for it only because it’s so low-risk. But I freakin’ hated him the last time and now he’s even further along on his busted prospect journey.

5. Exit9
      June 30th, 2006 | 5:08 pm

At least he’d take some of the heat off A-Rod. But it would probably cost us a few games to find out if that bum has anything left.

6. baileywalk
      June 30th, 2006 | 5:09 pm

I have no sympathy for a bunch of millionaires, but can you think of a worse situation for the Weaver family? Jeff is losing his job so the team can bring back up his BROTHER. Talk about awkward. Tell me there’s no bitterness there. It must be a hard lesson to learn that your younger brother is better than you. Just a really, really weird situation.