• July 2nd vs. The Mets

Posted by on July 3rd, 2006 · Comments (12)

OK, now that (bottom of the 3rd inning) was a rally! I’m glad that the Yankees were listening.

I have to confess that I fell asleep around midnight, in front of the TV, just about the start of the 7th inning. Somehow, I got myself from the couch to the bedroom in a sleep-walk manner. But, I knew the Yankees were way ahead as I hit the pillow. Still, when I woke up this morning, I had to think to myself “Don’t tell me that they blew this game in the last three innings.” I’m glad that they didn’t.

Paul Lo Duca has now made my “He’s An A-hole” list. Here are his comments regarding his beef from last night (via the News):

Alex Rodriguez struck the big blow of the night, but Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca didn’t think he handled it in a classy way at all.

When Rodriguez crossed the plate after his third-inning grand slam, the two of them had such a heated exchange that plate umpire Tim McClelland had to get between them.

Lo Duca said that not only did Rodriguez spend too much time watching the flight of his home run, he didn’t like the way the 2005 MVP flipped his bat or that he looked into the Yankees’ dugout en route to first base.

“You hit a home run. It’s a big home run,” Lo Duca said. “Listen, I understand he’s getting booed. To me he’s a great player. So you hit it, you watch it. That’s fine.

“You don’t toss your bat and look in your dugout and do that. I thought that was disrespectful.”

Really?

This is funny, because, I could swear that I saw Jose Reyes during Saturday’s game, on second base in the 4th inning, clapping and doing a mini-version of the chicken dance while pointing to the Mets dugout when the Mets took a (then) 5-2 lead on Randy Johnson. Am I just dreaming this? If not, then Lo Duca should take a look at his own house before reacting like he did last night. Besides, A-Rod didn’t do anything show-boaty last night, compared to today’s standards. Lo Duca’s position on this thing just stinks of punk.

Speaking of A-Rod, some game, huh? You have to be happy for him. And, I can’t help but wonder how Ron Villone felt about this series. He grew up a Yankees fan in New Jersey. Think he ever imagined himself, while playing whiffle-ball in his backyard as a kid, pitching for the Yankees against the Mets, in front of a full house? Now, he got to do it, twice, and win. That’s cool.

Comments on July 2nd vs. The Mets

1. MJ
      July 3rd, 2006 | 8:41 am

I feel kinda bad about it but I’m with Paul Lo Duca on this one. I don’t know what “compared to today’s standards” means but I’d rather have had ARod just hit the ball and go around the bases because stuff like this invites more criticism and more hatred and if it’s one thing the man doesn’t need, it’s more of that. I’m thrilled for ARod since I’m one of the only 6 Yankee fans that actually liked him before this weekend but I wish he’d be less demonstrative when things are going well.

In any case, it was a nice showing for him last night and a good weekend overall. My boy ARod did a great job.

2. July 3rd, 2006 | 9:02 am

Arod should be thanking Lo Duca for his comments. It gives Yankee fans the opportunity to stick up for Arod and rip Lo Duca for a couple of days. 7 RBIs should give Arod at least a week of peace from the boos.

3. redbug
      July 3rd, 2006 | 9:15 am

I don’t like it at all when players stand at the plate and admire their HR’s. Arod’s stare, bat toss, etc was nothing compared to Ortiz and Manny’s hot-dogging but still it wasn’t becoming.

I’d like Lo Duca’s words to start a trend by either the catcher or the pitcher the next time the guy comes to the plate letting the show-boater know his stare wasn’t appreciated.

4. DFLNJ
      July 3rd, 2006 | 10:08 am

I think A-Rod should toss his bat at least that far EVERY TIME he hits a homerun. A healthy dose of cockiness would go a long way towards helping A-Rod in situations where he’s pressing. Look at Sheff: his attitude and approach to the game are at least as great a weapon as his bat speed.

Who cares if the other team likes it? If they don’t want him to celebrate a home run, don’t let him hit one.

5. RICH
      July 3rd, 2006 | 10:12 am

Has Villone recorded the last 3 Yankee wins?

6. baileywalk
      July 3rd, 2006 | 10:26 am

A-Rod hits two homes runs, one a grand slam, and drives in seven, and the topic of conversation is if he showboated too much? Wow.

To hell with Paul Do Luca. Everyone with even a tiny smidgen of brains knows that what A-Rod did had NOTHING to do with the Mets. It had everything to do with the Yankee fans booing him for not coming through. Well, he came through on that night, and he was going to enjoy the cheers. Do Luca even mentioned the booing after the game. And I’m with Steve on this one: Reyes showed up Randy Johnson (a future Hall of Famer) much worse the day before. And he tends to pump his fist and dance around after a big hit.

I think the story of the night is Nick Green. Not only did he hit a home run, but he hit a MONSTER home run. It may have more to do with me not really being a Cairo fan, but I’d play Green over Cairo. At least Green has some pop in his bat. Maybe they’ll catch a couple-game hot streak from Green before the All-Star Break.

I’m glad that Moose isn’t going to the All-Star Game and will instead rest, but him not being named to the team is utter bullshit.

7. July 3rd, 2006 | 11:26 am

Green. The walk. The steal with the to-hell-with-living-slide. The homer. The great play in the field. If not for A-Rod, last night was “Green Day.” For sure.

8. MJ
      July 3rd, 2006 | 12:07 pm

Bailey, you know me to be the biggest ARod fan on this site. Believe me, no matter what I think about showboating or bat-flipping or any of that stuff, no one was happier for ARod than I was. I am THRILLED at how the weekend turned out for him and it was nice knowing that the boo-birds were forced to rest their vocal chords.

9. hopbitters
      July 3rd, 2006 | 12:41 pm

It’s usually the guys that hit 3-4-500 homers that always stare at them. You don’t see Nick Green or Andy Phillips watching the ball like they’ve never seen one get past the pitcher’s mound before, yet Bonds, Sosa, Papi, etc. always have to check in case it looked any different from the previous 700. 99% of the time, I think it just smacks of overblown ego. In A-Rod’s case, last night at least, I was a) happy he kicked the monkey he got off his back the other night a little closer to the curb; and b) thrilled just to see him show a little personality like he was happy to be out there. And seeing Giambi get right up there when Lo Duca was jawing was great, too.

Bernie just keeps handing base after base, run after run, to the opposition. He has limited range. He can’t throw at all. Everybody knows it. Nick Johnson took about 11 extra bases off of him when they were playing the Nats. This has to stop.

Great show by Green. That throw couldn’t have been better. And credit to Posada for finishing the play as well. Did he cut his arm on the SB slide? We saw a big patch on it later in the game and none of us (was watching the game with my wife and father) could remember it being there earlier. I hope they keep him up when Cano is back.

10. MJ
      July 3rd, 2006 | 2:07 pm

Bernie really is horrible out there. I haven’t yet figured out what happened to Kevin Thompson because I could’ve sworn he was on the team for a minute there in late May. I’d love to see him out there in RF using his speed to track balls that always seem to fall about 5 feet away from Bernie.

The chances that Nick Green stays around after Cano comes back…I very highly doubt it.

11. brockdc
      July 3rd, 2006 | 2:11 pm

Well played, Baileywalk. Let the man enjoy the moment for Christ’s sakes.

I wouldn’t necessarily consider myself an A-Rod fan, per se, but I root like hell for him because he is a Yankee and have been an ardent critic of the idiocy of the pathological booing at The Stadium.

I too enjoyed watching Luca scurry back into his rat hole the moment Giambi made a movement toward him.

12. baileywalk
      July 3rd, 2006 | 3:33 pm

MJ, Thompson was sent down so the Yankees could carry an extra pitcher. They brought Reese back up when that pitcher, Jose Veras, went back down. And it’s stayed that way. Thompson is back in AAA playing centerfield. I still maintain that Thompson should have gotten the job over Bubba out of spring training.

I guess the thinking is that the team needs Bernie’s bat right now and they’ll just have to live with his weak arm and bad jumps.