• July 5th @ The Indians

Posted by on July 5th, 2006 · Comments (8)

Torre said it best in the post-game tonight: “We did a lot of things good” (in this game). It’s amazing how easy it is to win when your whole line-up hits, your starter goes a solid six innings, and your bullpen allows one runner in three innings.

But, two things bother me about this game.

First, Kris Wilson throwing two innings. This means Chacon will probably start on Sunday. I was hoping to see them give that start to Wilson.

Secondly, the Damon oblique muscle injury. In the post-game, Torre said that it was in the front and not the side. The Indians’ Casey Blake just had this and here’s what Rick Wilton said on that two weeks ago:

The Indians have lost a key component to their offense for the foreseeable future. Blake has a strained left internal oblique muscle. The injury occurred during batting practice on Wednesday. This injury is a little less common than the external oblique strains that have happened so often in recent years.

The internal oblique is located below the tip of the left hip and just outside of the rectus abdominus muscles (the main muscles down the middle of the abdomen). Both ends of this muscle connect to two different parts of the hip bone. One physical therapy expert I talked to today believes this injury is a bit harder to recover from than the external oblique because of its location.

We’ll use a baseline of 30 days for a recovery from the injury and work off that number. The Indians’ medical staff has already stated he will miss more than two weeks or the minimum DL time. Once Blake gets a few days into his recovery program, the medical staff will have a better idea how long he’ll be out. Because of the location, I’m predicting a 4-6 week recovery unless the ailment turns out to be minor.

The Yankees cannot afford to lose Johnny Damon, now, for 4-6 weeks. Imagine no Matsui, Sheffield, or Damon for the next month? It will be turn out the lights time – because the party will be over.

Lastly, how ’bout those Tampa Bay Devil Rays?

Comments on July 5th @ The Indians

1. baileywalk
      July 5th, 2006 | 11:34 pm

It’s not an oblique injury. Damon said it’s a lower abdominal thing and that he might be back as soon as Friday.

Torre said Chacon, Wilson and Villone are all in the running to pitch Sunday. My guess is that it’s going to be Wilson with Villone backing him up if he gets into trouble. Wilson threw two innings; it wouldn’t be asking too much for him to go on three days’ rest.

Overall, a nice bounce-back win. And that Melky grand slam was pretty sweet — almost as sweet as seeing Dotel cracking up as he worked as a translator for Melky after the game.

Torre may have said Jeter was the first-half MVP, but, Sweet God Almighty, it’s been Moose.

2. Jen
      July 5th, 2006 | 11:36 pm

According to Peter Abraham, Torre said Sunday’s starter will be either Chacon, Villone or Wilson. Wilson only threw 18 pitches, so I think he would be OK to go on Sunday.

And I think I’ll wait until we get a proper diagnosis to worry about Damon. Ain’t no sense in doing it now.

3. Jen
      July 5th, 2006 | 11:38 pm

Uh, or what bailey said.

4. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 6th, 2006 | 1:48 am

The probable pitchers on the offical site says Villone, we shall see….

Chacon seems to be a very streaky pitcher… he was great for a while in mid April to May… I think a little more cooling time should help him out.

Damon seems fine.

Also. Victor Martinez better start working on this catching games if he is going to stay a catcher…. the guy can mash but if u give up 6 SB and catch none a game including a stolen 3B and a stolen base BY THE FIRST BASEMEN it’s bad news.

5. baileywalk
      July 6th, 2006 | 9:29 am

I’ve never been more embarrassed for a catcher than I was for Martinez last night. Andy Phillips stole a base and when Martinez released the ball, it looked like he was out by a mile. And he still made it.

But, since the Indians did not fail to pile on as many runs as they could the other night, sending people home when it was 17-1, I hope they continue to humiliate him tonight.

6. MJ
      July 6th, 2006 | 10:16 am

“I’ve never been more embarrassed for a catcher than I was for Martinez last night.”

What about Matt LeCroy earlier this year when Frank Robinson pulled him? I don’t know about you but I wasn’t embarrased for Vic Martinez last night, I was downright giddy that he was getting the Piazza treatment.

And speaking of last night, Michael Kay did another one of his asshole calls when Broussard hit the homer in the 4th inning. Can’t someone step up to the plate and throw money at Kaat and Singleton? The two of them do a fine job. Kay’s gotten to Sterling-like levels of annoyance.

7. baileywalk
      July 6th, 2006 | 11:23 am

Maybe it’s because I’m from a family of Catholics (though I’m not one myself anymore) but I always feel a little guilty when someone is humiliated. Even if he’s on the opposing ballclub. But, like I said, since the Indians kept sending runners home with a 16-run lead, the hell with him. Keep those runners running tonight, Joe!

And you are so right about Kay. This guy NEVER fails to go berserk when the other team hits a home run. I simply don’t get — what with all the “internal manipulation” rumors you hear about YES — why someone doesn’t ask him to knock it off. I don’t think the home announcer has to grumble and whisper about another team’s home run, but it’s gotten to the point where Kay seems to enjoy the other’s team home runs. It was so bizarre I almost thought I was imagining it, but every Yankee fan I talk to says the same thing. What I really hate is when they hit an important home run — like the one off of Wang the other night — and he screams “THERE IT GOESSSS!… SEE YA!… A TWO-RUN HOME RUN TO TAKE THE LEEEADD!” Shut up, you baboon. The good news is that someone inside the organization (no one important, but they work with the top people) told me that Big Stein hates Kay. Maybe there’s some hope he won’t survive beyond his current contract.

8. MJ
      July 6th, 2006 | 11:44 am

“[S]someone inside the organization told me that Big Stein hates Kay.”

Now that’s music to my ears. Screw that guy. I never understood why it mattered if a local TV guy showed a bit of excitement for the home team and I certainly can’t get Kay’s fixation on rubbing in his viewers’ faces every time the Yanks do something wrong. For Pete’s sake, doesn’t he know who’s watching these games?