• July 7th @ The Devil Rays

Posted by on July 7th, 2006 · Comments (8)

Game Score is a measure of pitching performance for starting pitchers. It was developed by Bill James. The formula consists of eight parts:

1. Start with 50.
    2. Add 1 point for each out recorded.
    3. Add 2 points for each inning the pitcher completes after the fourth inning.
    4. Add 1 point for each strikeout.
    5. Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed.
    6. Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed.
    7. Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed.
    8. Subtract 1 point for each walk.

An average start would score 50. One start in 300 reaches a score of 90 or better, and an all-time great performance would reach 100.

Tonight, Jaret Wright had a Game Score of 74.

There have only been five other times this season, to date, where a Yankees starter has had a Game Score of 70+. They are:

Randy Johnson: 78 on 6/26
    Mike Mussina: 77 on 5/31
    Randy Johnson: 76 on 4/23
    Chien-Ming Wang: 74 on 5/12
    Chien-Ming Wang: 70 on 6/13

Yes, Jaret Wright just pitched the 5th best game by a Yankees pitcher in the first half of the 2006 season. Yup, there have been 84 games started now, this year, by Yankees pitchers and tonight’s effort by Wright is the 5th best out of the 84 games.

Talk about the Wright stuff!

Comments on July 7th @ The Devil Rays

1. baileywalk
      July 7th, 2006 | 11:53 pm

That formula doesn’t give enough credit to going deep in a game. Wright only pitched six innings, which isn’t great. The reason it becomes an extra-special start in that formula is because of the high strikeout total.

I’ve seen Mussina throw games like tonight all year. The one thing I object to about all of these formulas and convoluted new stats is that they often seem to put more emphasis on the numbers instead of what you see with your eyes.

Joe West’s generous strikezone helped both pitchers get ahead in the count. Wright had a nice fastball tonight, but his secondary pitches were by far their best all year. He was very deceptive tonight.

I don’t want to jinx them, but I think the lessened workload has really made a difference with Proctor and Farnsworth. Both look much better than they did just two weeks ago.

Tomorrow night should be a really nice pitching matchup. I’m giving the edge to Kazmir and the Rays. 1) We actually have a weaker lineup than they do (one of our two true power hitters is a lefty), and 2) Wang doesn’t normally pitch well against the Rays.

2. bloodyank78
      July 8th, 2006 | 1:46 am

Wright has pitched many games this season where he has gone only 5 or 6 but has pitched exceedingly well. Tonight’s performance was against a lineup that is capable of blasting a pitcher; Crawford, Huff, Cantu, Gomes, etc. the D-Rays problem is not offense, and Wright came through. I expect a nice second half from a guy that has been quietly settling inro a consistent 4th or 5th guy for the ballclub.

3. baileywalk
      July 8th, 2006 | 9:54 am

The Rays have a bunch of good hitters, but they’re also hackers. Which benefits a guy like Wright. If he had this same performance against the Sox, who work a pitcher, it’s more impressive (and he did toss five scoreless against the Sox this year).

I’m not trying to crap on Wright’s performance; it was great. I just find this formula flawed — because, among other things, it doesn’t account for the competition.

4. July 8th, 2006 | 5:44 pm

Hey Steve:
      Sorry if this is the wrong way to do this, but did you see that the Cards have DFA Sid Ponson to make room for Jeff Weaver? I don’t want Weaver, but what about Ponson? I know he’s a headcase but could the Yankees get something out of him? He’s got a no-trade so they will have to waive him. Good pick up?

5. hopbitters
      July 9th, 2006 | 12:29 am

Add another 70+ for Wang (71 by my count, and a beauty).

6. JeremyM
      July 9th, 2006 | 1:38 am

I’d rather bail Dwight Gooden out of jail and give him another chance to pitch then give Ponson a shot. If you can’t hack it in the NL this year, then you’ve got nothing.

7. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 9th, 2006 | 6:39 am

The only guy I would take Ponson over of is Jose Lima…. = =b….

Aaron Small have been doing nicely since going back down…. if you really want to gamble…

8. July 9th, 2006 | 8:43 am

Diito on Pond Scum, er, I mean Ponson. Pass.