• July 8th @ The Devil Rays

Posted by on July 9th, 2006 · Comments (9)

Once again, Mr. Wang-der-full comes through for the Yankees. Mussina is the Yankees ace this year. But, over the last two years, it’s Wang who has been New York’s ace, in my opinion.

Speaking of coming through, is it just me, or is Boston’s David Ortiz getting into one of those streaks where he’s winning games for the Red Sox everyday?

Actually, if you check the stats, both Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz have been tearing it up for the Sox since June 6th. Here are their numbers since then, as well as some Yankees players during the same time:

Since666.jpg

Wow. How valuable has Johnny Damon been for the Yankees over the last month?

Comments on July 8th @ The Devil Rays

1. MJ
      July 9th, 2006 | 11:55 am

The Red Sox are officially scaring me now. They’re crushing the White Sox with ease and just on an absolute killer run right now. I’m hopeful that the Red Sox use up all of their good baseball and fade a bit in August but right now I’d have to say that they’re looking like an ALCS team.

2. baileywalk
      July 9th, 2006 | 12:15 pm

The Red Sox are riding Papi and its offense on this run. And they are surprisingly good. I thought they’d lose two out of three to the White Sox (since the White Sox were home).

I’d be a little more scared of the Red Sox if their pitching wasn’t so lousy. Schilling and Beckett got lit up in Tampa Bay. Beckett gives up about three home runs a game (the only way he stays in a game is if they’re solo shots). Clement is nowhere near a return. Wakefield is a crapshoot. And Lester, while talented, is a rookie which some control issues.

So they’re a very good team right now, but that pitching is subpar.

3. MJ
      July 9th, 2006 | 12:50 pm

Bailey, agreed on Boston’s pitching. You’re also right that Tampa kicked their butts (I guess I’d forgotten even if it was just 4 days ago). I guess my concern is that we don’t step up our game against the Jon Lesters/Jeremy Sowers of the world.

4. MJ
      July 9th, 2006 | 3:29 pm

I know this isn’t today’s game thread but: a) I hope Bernie Williams never plays in the field again, b) Melky makes some spectacular plays but I don’t get the feeling he reads the ball that well off the bat, c) I’m curious to know why Posada can’t play a day game after a night game when he’s going to get the rest of the week off, and d) if there’s any hope of finding someone better than Kelly Stinnett, who is such a lousy hitter that he takes Fossum’s 85 mph fastballs at the waist because he knows he won’t be able to catch up to them.

Let me reiterate point a) one more time: Bernie playing the field is a bit like asking a blind man to walk across the NJ Turnpike…you just know it’s going to end badly…

5. JohnnyC
      July 9th, 2006 | 5:01 pm

You know, we’re taking this Aaron Small Cinderella thing a little too seriously, folks. Why are we giving away games by starting Tim Redding…er, I mean Kris Wilson, when we would be better off today and going forward finding out what we have with Steven White (I’d even tolerate a return of DePaula)? When will the organization realize that we can’t continue to value “experience” over sheer ability? Perhaps when the 4 rings guy finally steps down?

6. MJ
      July 9th, 2006 | 5:27 pm

The decision to start Kris Wilson over someone not currently on the 25-man roster isn’t the fault of “4-ring Joe”, it’s on Cashman. I have no problem blaming Torre for the many things he does wrong but I don’t see how someone can blame Torre because his GM doesn’t practice what he preaches about getting younger, going with the young guys, etc. Cashman’s as much a worthless dipshit as Clueless Joe.

7. JeremyM
      July 9th, 2006 | 5:35 pm

Hindsight being what it is, Chacon probably should’ve gotten the start to see if there’s anything left.

8. MJ
      July 9th, 2006 | 6:42 pm

The White Sox rolled over and died this weekend. Care to wager on how fired up they’ll be for the weekend series in the Bronx on the other side of the All-Star game? The White Sox now join the Mets as pathetic patsies…

9. DFLNJ
      July 9th, 2006 | 9:02 pm

Wilson’s AAA stats were tremendous this year and that’s why he got the start. He was worth a shot to see if he could be Aaron Small 2006.