• July 19th vs. The Mariners

Posted by on July 19th, 2006 · Comments (10)

It’s 10 minutes before game-time today as I write this entry.

The Yankees are playing well these days. It’s a beautiful day outside.

Yet, I’m nervous about this game today. Why?

Is it because the bottom of the Yankees line-up today is Phillips, Guiel, Green and Stinnett? Nah.

It’s two words: Randy Johnson.

You just never know which Randy Johnson will show up these days, it seems.

And, I should not feel this way. I know that Randy does a decent job against teams not named the Mets or Blue Jays. Still, it, the doom and gloom potential, is hard to shake.

OK, now that I’ve said that, watch – Unit will pitch a perfect game today. And, if he does, I’m taking all the credit for the reverse whammy.

UPDATE 1:19 pm ET: Well, there goes the perfect game, the no-hitter, and the shutout. That was quick.

UPDATE 4:03 pm ET: What a not an Alfred E. Neuman moment for me on this one. Johnson has what is probably his 2nd best start of the season today. But, the Yankees only have 2 runs through 8 innings. Maybe I should have been more concerned about the line-up?

UPDATE 4:19 pm ET: Oh, this one hurts. Yanks lose 3-2. And, in the 7th, with that 3-2 score, New York had a runner on 3rd with one out and PH Bernie Williams whiffs. You have to make contact in that game situation. Worse, Boston won it’s second “1-0″ win in two days.

The Blue Jays are going to be loaded for Bear. The Yankees need to be sharp, everyday, against them.

Comments on July 19th vs. The Mariners

1. July 19th, 2006 | 1:39 pm

“Well, there goes the perfect game, the no-hitter, and the shutout. That was quick.”

You are one tough customer!

2. July 19th, 2006 | 1:43 pm

You just noticed? LOL.

3. Rich
      July 19th, 2006 | 1:48 pm

We might just see a perfect game yet…

4. July 19th, 2006 | 2:36 pm

Hey, A-Rod got a hit!

5. Jen
      July 19th, 2006 | 2:42 pm

Yeah, but it wasn’t a home run. Boooo!

6. JeremyM
      July 19th, 2006 | 6:42 pm

This is one of those Torre losses that they talk about on nomaas. Look, I love Bernie Williams. Bernie still has a role on this team. But, in my opinion, that role is not the one he was used in today. I’m not 100% sure Nick Green would’ve got that runner home, but I like his chances better than Bernie. It just seems to be me that Bernie strikes out too much to be in that role. I dunno. Just seemed like a case of Torre being cute instead of going with who was on the field at the time.

7. baileywalk
      July 19th, 2006 | 9:58 pm

Jeremy, I can’t kill Torre for that move, because Nick Green is Nick Green, but I didn’t really understand the move. Bernie doesn’t hit well left-handed — which Torre knows and acknowledges since he only starts Bernie against a righty — so why bring him in (plus he’s a lousy pinch-hitter)?

Also, while I certainly want Torre to allow pitchers to go deeper into games, I simply don’t understand why he left Randy in the eighth. I just hope it doesn’t backfire. I think it was dumb to leave him in there for Ichiro because Ichiro kills lefties. But fine, Torre leaves him in for him and Ichiro gets a little infield hit. After that RJ should have been gone. Not only is the man 42, but he had a little hamstring injury. Johnson still had pretty good stuff in that inning — he threw a 95-mile-an-hour fastball to get his 11th strikeout — but in the end the lead run was scored and Johnson got the loss. Something tells me that if Farns comes into that game right there, the result would have been different. It was just an odd spot to stretch out a pitcher. It was scary to hear that Johnson had not thrown that many pitches since 2002.

8. JeremyM
      July 19th, 2006 | 10:11 pm

Good point on Johnson, and a big part of this is the fallout from carrying Chacon and Wilson on the roster instead of say Matt Smith, who has the ability to keep things close without burning through your ace relievers. Althought having to play Stinnett is really what led to that run, he has had a couple of those throws this year.

9. baileywalk
      July 19th, 2006 | 11:25 pm

Nothing to do with the game today, but the Blue Jays cut Shea Hillenbrand. The Yankees have to look into getting him. He could be a nice bat for this team. Even if it pushed Andy to the bench.

10. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 20th, 2006 | 12:00 am

Andy’s Isolated power have actually been quite awsome (.189), if he can get his avg up to a slightly more respectable level he is actually pretty good… that and try to demostrat a little better than Cano’s patientice will help…