• July 24th @ The Rangers

Posted by on July 24th, 2006 · Comments (11)

On Saturday, I wrote:

“Worm Killer” Wang was not at his all-time best today – but, he was plenty good enough (with 15 grounders in 6 IP) to keep the Yankees in this game – until “ProcFarnMo” ™ slammed the door on the last three innings.

And, tonight, I can now write:

Randy Johnson was not at his all-time best today – but, he was plenty good enough (with 7 whiffs in 6 IP) to keep the Yankees in this game – until “ProcFarnMo” ™ slammed the door on the last three innings.

By the way, tonight and this past Saturday were the only two wins for the Yankees in their last six games.

I believe we have found the formula for a victory in 2006: A solid six from the starter and then go to “ProcFarnMo” ™ to close.

But, perhaps the biggest news today is the injury to Damon before the game and the injury to Jeter during the game. Without these two players, the Yankees are done. Cross your fingers for the both of them, if you’re a Yankees fan.

Lastly – maybe I’m imagining this – or perhaps I’m just noticing it – but, has Jorge Posada switched to a new style of catching mask? Looking at him tonight, it appeared like he was wearing something that looked like Hannibal Lecter Meets Spiderman. In the past, I recall him wearing a mask that had two big handles on the side – something like what a Ferengi would wear during a masochistic escapade. Anyone else see this tonight?

Update, 7-25-06: Thanks to Jen for setting the record straight. Below, on the left, is Posada’s mask this past Thursday. And, on the right was one that he wore on Saturday. Looks like it’s just a matter of two different colored masks.

JorgeMask.jpg

Comments on July 24th @ The Rangers

1. July 24th, 2006 | 11:39 pm

Hate to tell you this Steve, but he’s been wearing that mask since probably the beginning of May. He used to wear a very old-school mask but this one gives him more protection all around the face and head area, and has lots more cushioning for when the ball is fouled off the mask itself.

2. SMinDC
      July 24th, 2006 | 11:44 pm

The “new” not new mask might be the result of the unfortunate meeting between Jorge’s schnozz and a thrown ball earlier this year. That was May-ish, no?

3. July 24th, 2006 | 11:55 pm

Funny, I never noticed it until tonight. Maybe I’m due for new glasses?

4. baileywalk
      July 25th, 2006 | 12:06 am

So much for those “Zito is a big-game pitcher” arguments. He bent over, grabbed his ankles, and caught a beating from the Red Sox tonight. Does anyone really want to give this guy fifteen million dollars a year? I sure don’t.

I remember really digging Cano last year, and I feel the same way about Melky this year. He just does so many good things throughout the game. And at 21 years old. People really underrate him because they don’t think he hits for enough power. I hope the Yankees let Sheffield walk and make Melky our rightfielder next year.

I thought Johnson looked a little worn out when he first started to pitch. I thought he only had so-so control and his velocity was down (though the ESPN gun was clocking everyone at two miles an hour better). But in the end he did a pretty good job. And despite all the panic about him earlier, he has been stringing together some nice outings. It’s very important right now to have Moose, Wang and Johnson put together quality starts. Especially with this offense.

Proctor and Farnsworth have looked solid. I hope they keep it up. I also hope that on certain days — as today, with a four-run lead — Torre lets Villone/Beam get the seventh, Proctor the eighth and Farns the ninth. Torre needs to save Mo’s arm.

July 25th, 2006 | 6:33 am

I’m happy as anyone else to see Proctor handling his business on the mound…

Also glad to see Beam back with the team. Wilson who?

And Zito will get his $$.

6. baileywalk
      July 25th, 2006 | 9:01 am

Interesting note in one of the papers this morning. It said “The Yankees think Scott Proctor is a big part of the their bullpen and don’t want to give him up” when talking about an Abreu trade. It also said they don’t want to part with Hughes (which is obvious). Now I like Proctor and he has been doing better of late, but I don’t know that I would let him stand in the way of a trade. I think Bobby is too big of an investment, but if they want him, they shouldn’t let Proctor spoil the deal. I think you can get what you get out of Proctor with some combination of Villone, Beam, Smith and there’s still hope Dotel will get back here.

7. MJ
      July 25th, 2006 | 9:25 am

Any word on the Damon and Jeter injuries? I can’t find anything…

8. baileywalk
      July 25th, 2006 | 9:32 am

Damon hurt his back getting into a car (what’s up with these guys?). Torre said Jeter’s sore back is the effect of playing on the Rogers Centre’s field for four games (which sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me; I think he hurt his back diving out of the way of that Millwood pitch).

Damon probably won’t play tonight. Torre said Jeter will.

9. MJ
      July 25th, 2006 | 10:05 am

Which means we either get Bubba’s glove in CF or, more likely, Bernie playing CF and hitting cleanup, since Joe thinks the calendar says 1996 and not 2006.

Let’s not forget, Adam Eaton is a RHP which means Joe gets to showcase Bernie’s .250/.281/.372 vs. RHP.

And, even better, since we haven’t faced Eaton but one time (1-0, 7 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 2.57 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, .167 BAA), we can expect the usual “Wow, never seen this guy before, let’s just suck it up tonight and pretend it was just because we’re unfamiliar with him” excuse.

Can you tell I’m in a pissy mood today?

10. JohnnyC
      July 25th, 2006 | 10:23 am

MJ, I love it when I hear Michael Kay or Ken Singleton describe how Don Mattingly sits on the plane watching video of opposing pitchers on his laptop, supposedly dissecting the next series’ starters. And then the same old sh** keeps happening. Yankees batters act like every new pitcher’s repertoire is mysteriously tricky…velocity, pitch selection, release point, etc. Can’t Donnie let the other guys share his laptop? Seriously, Yankees advance scouting has been piss poor for several years now after being one of the best in the business. Equally important factors have been Gene Michael’s reduced participation and George’s penny-smart, pound-foolish budget slashings. You can watch all the satellite-fed video you want, you still need at least two eyeballs that know what the heck they’re looking at.

11. MJ
      July 25th, 2006 | 10:30 am

It drives me batty to think that the Yanks have eschewed advance scouting despite the fact that the lack of preparation shows every time they face a guy for the first time.

What’s the point of even showing up to play the game if the team is underprepared? It’s like going to the game without bats or balls or a glove. Goddamn unforgivable.