• Cashman On The Mets

Posted by on July 25th, 2006 · Comments (13)

From ESPN.com -

“The Mets — and for that matter, the Phillies — are part of the craziness of baseball in the Northeast,” Cashman says. “But the Yankees and Red Sox, ESPN has totally surrounded our organizations. Put it this way: If you check the number of back pages [in the tabloids] between the Yankees and Mets in the last five years, you’d be shocked how far ahead we are.

“I don’t say that as disrespect to the Mets; they’re a great organization with great people and great ownership, but the focus on us is extreme. … It’s taken 100 years to build this situation. Same goes for Boston.”

I have news for Cashman. He was 19-years-old and living in Lexington, Kentucky, when the Mets won in 1986.

I was in New York for 1976, 1977, 1978, 1986, 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000.

When the Mets win, New York City is a Mets town. It’s insane.

It’s probably because the Yankees always win and the Mets hardly win.

But, I will tell you now – if the Mets make it to the World Series and win, the Yankees will become old news in a minute.

You can count on that.

Comments on Cashman On The Mets

1. MJ
      July 25th, 2006 | 1:37 pm

“When the Mets win, New York City is a Mets town. It’s insane.”

Just look at this year. The Mets are 1 game ahead of the Yanks in the standings but play in the worst division in baseball. The coverage would seem to indicate that the Mets are already in the World Series and are playing the rest of the way just to find out who their opponent would be.

To be honest, I almost wish the Mets go to the World Series and win it because I just have this funny feeling that the Mets won’t handle success in 2007 as well as the Yanks handle either success OR failure. And there’s nothing more fun to point out to a Mets fan than how they’re always of the one-and-done variety.

2. RICH
      July 25th, 2006 | 1:40 pm

I’m not clear on the point you’re making. Are you disagreeing with what Cashman said or not?

I agree with him. Over the last 5 years the Yanks have had more back pages.

I agree with you that the Mets have ruled the back pages at times. I also think that as the Mets continue to improve they’ll grab the majority eventually because I think NY is a NL town at heart.

3. MJ
      July 25th, 2006 | 1:48 pm

I keep on hearing that NY is an NL town and then I look at the attendance figures at Shea this season vs. the ones in the Bronx. I was at the Mets/Astros series this weekend. For a team way ahead in its division and nearly guaranteed a playoff spot for the first time since 2000, the turnout was pretty pathetic.

NY writers and TV people might be NL fans but the Yanks have more folks on the street and I’ll take that any day of the week.

4. rbj
      July 25th, 2006 | 2:03 pm

” NY is a NL town at heart” which is why the Giants had to kick the Yankees out of their stadium because the AL team was outdrawing them, not to mention both NL teams lit out for the (west) coast.

NY is a winners town.

5. July 25th, 2006 | 2:40 pm

I will always remember being in NYC during the 1986 NLCS. It was insane. Buses were playing the games over their sound system. People were pressed up against bar windows trying to catch a score. And, when the Mets won, people danced in the streets. I’ve never seen any of that when the Yankees won.

6. baileywalk
      July 25th, 2006 | 2:57 pm

Wow, I’m nearly speechless. I’m a lifelong New Yorker and I can tell you that you’re dead wrong.

First off, the Yankees are the most popular team in the WORLD — not just in New York. I’ve traveled all over the place, and I find Yankee fans everywhere (Japan, Europe). And here in the U.S., Yankees fans exist in abundance in every single state. The Yankees never go to an away game without a good portion of Yankee fans showing up. They are the iconic team of baseball, and have many of the best players of all-time (Babe, Mickey, Joe D, etc.).

Even when the Yankees were losing, people still cared more about the Yankees. The Yankees are always THE team in this town; the Mets will forever and always be the second team.

The Yankees set the single-season record for attendance last year, and yet they haven’t been to a World Series since 2003. They’re more popular now than when they were winning back-to-back-to-back World Series. So why in the world would you think the Mets would make them “old news” by winning? It doesn’t make sense. A losing Yankee team will always outdraw a winning Mets team. And a winning Yankee team will destroy a winning Mets team.

I’ve been here my whole life and I can’t even compare the amount of fans. It’s not even close.

There’s also quite a few age, social, racial, and economic differences between the fans.

The idea that the Mets could ever take over this town is flatly wrong and in my opinion totally absurd.

7. July 25th, 2006 | 3:23 pm

I’m not saying this is a fan headcount matter. I’m saying the “fever” that each team creates when they’re in the WS is different. Again, it’s because the Yankees are in just about every 3rd WS that it’s a bigger deal in town when the Mets make it.

8. baileywalk
      July 25th, 2006 | 3:30 pm

Well, okay. The ’96 World Series was like that. All of New York seemed to be holding its breath, and when they won it was a mass celebration.

9. July 25th, 2006 | 4:07 pm

An 18 year wait will do that to you.

10. const56
      July 25th, 2006 | 5:15 pm

There’s a good reason why the Mets get inflated coverage: WFAN.

Every host and every update guy is an outed Met fan. They don’t hide it at all.

The station is all mets, all the time.

11. JohnnyC
      July 25th, 2006 | 5:23 pm

The notion that NY is an NL town is a holdover from the days when 2 of the 3 teams in town were in the NL. Natch. But the concept is as out-dated as Phil Pepe’s salad days at the Daily News. I bring up Pepe because, before the internet and 24 hour cable sports news, our perception of the sports world was crafted and transmitted by people like Pepe, Dick Young, Maury Allen, et al. They were raised in a 3 team town. There was a 67% chance they didn’t root for the Yankees growing up. And New York, as the media capitol of the sports world, drew people from such diverse geographical locations as Wyoming and Minnesota and California to seek employment as journalists, TV newsmen, and other such gadflies. More than 67% hated the Yankees growing up. It was easier for them to be “professional” about the Mets, since they really didn’t care if they won or lost. What I’m saying is: perception is reality or, more precisely, media perception is reality. When the Mets win (especially when the Yankees DON’T win), there’s a lot of breathless bandwagoning (like what’s happening now). Most of the guys on WFAN, which carries Mets games in NY, don’t root for the Mets (Chris Russo and Steve Sohmers, for example, are Giants fans, although only Russo will answer to that while Sohmers uses his anti-Yankees act to mask his indifference to the Mets)but they’ll feed the “insanity” because it means their careers. Like bailey, I’m a lifelong New Yorker who lived through the last 30 odd years of NY baseball and, honestly, most of the city could care less about either team. There are neighborhoods in this city where you get shrugs if you bring up the Yankees OR the Mets but you’ll get heated discussions of the Knicks or the Rangers. In some neighborhoods, they’d rather talk about the World Cup. In others, not sports at all but abstract expressionism. (Just kidding) So, the frenzy you speak of is, in part, wholly orchestrated by a hungry media contingent that needs to be fed its daily meat. Viz the whole ARod controversy. Finally, it’s 2006, and the Mets have irretrievably lost the battle over NY’s baseball hearts and minds. MJ is right about the attendance. The TV ratings further support this: YES routinely out-rates SNY by a factor of 3 or 4. True, in 1986 the picture was a little different. But, these are not your older brother’s Mets. Far from it.

July 25th, 2006 | 11:45 pm

Give SNY a chance, I dont think its fair to expect them to beat YES out the gate

13. JohnnyC
      July 26th, 2006 | 12:32 pm

YES beat MSG right out of the gate.