• July 26th @ The Rangers

Posted by on July 26th, 2006 · Comments (8)

Personally, I had a very tiring day at work today. And, it caught up with me tonight – as I fell asleep in front of the T.V. around 10 pm ET.

When I woke up, it was right around 11 pm ET – and, the first sight I had upon opening my eyes was seeing Shawn Chacon on the mound for the Yankees, in the 8th inning, with the bases loaded and no outs, with the score 7-6 in favor of the Rangers.

I felt like the guy from The Godfather who woke up to find the horse’s head in his bed.

And, then Chacon struck out DeRosa. That was good, but, I was still thinking “This is going to be bad.” However, Chacon then got the “Look what I found!” DP-liner to end the frame. All of a sudden, I started to chuckle to myself and I thought “You never really know in this game, do you?”

When Jeter singled in the 9th and then Giambi homered to give the Yankees the lead, I was more stunned than anything else. I was still groggy and fuzzy from the unexpected nap. Was I dreaming? Did I really see Chacon work out of bases juiced with no outs and then see this huge homer?

I looked around the room to see if Pam Anderson was near with a serving tray full of chocolate chip cookies or if Ed McMahon was walking towards me with an over-sized check from the Publishers Clearing House. Since I didn’t see either one of them, I knew that I could believe what I just saw.

Not too shabby.

But, when I saw the game recap, and how Texas took the lead in the 8th, I realized that Torre got lucky in this game. Bringing in Beam with a two-run lead is stupid. Asking Proctor to pitch for the 8th time in 12 days is criminal. Unless I missed something today, Farnsworth was well rested today and there’s an off-day following this game. He should be in this game in the 8th inning.

If Farnsworth is hurt, and I missed the report, then I’m sorry to bring up this point. But, if Farnsworth was available, and Torre doesn’t use him tonight, then he has no business making pitching moves.

Then again, if Chacon came into the game, maybe Farnsworth was not available for this game?

The whole thing is strange. Well, at least the Yankees won and now control the wildcard – - until Torre does something stupid to let it go.

Comments on July 26th @ The Rangers

1. July 27th, 2006 | 12:43 am

The Farns’ back locked up on him while warming up.

My bigger beef is over the decision to include TJ Beam on the roster while Matt Smith and his 0.00 Major League ERA (sample size alert!) toil away at Columbus.

2. baileywalk
      July 27th, 2006 | 1:05 am

About a million issues in this game. Since I’m an insomniac, I’ll bring some of them up:

Wright didn’t have his best stuff or his worst stuff. It was merely average. It was good enough to get out the bottom of the lineup, but not the big boys — Young, Tex, Blalock.

A-Rod had a huge home run in this game. It got us within one, it was off of a 96-mile-an-hour fastball, and he CRUSHED it to center. Bobby wasn’t kidding when he said it was one of the best swings Alex had had all year.

The Yankees shouldn’t ask Melky to bunt if he can’t do it. After failing to bunt twice, he whacked a ball to left. Melky definitely has “it.” This kid is clutch.

It’s kind of scary that Farnsworth pitches all the time with back pain. Sometimes, as it did tonight, it just gets so bad he can’t pitch. Beam and Fasano got crossed up, which caused a walk. Then Beam gave up a big double. Bringing in Proctor was just stupid. He clearly had nothing and he couldn’t even get an out.

Torre could have left Beam in, but the obvious decision would have been to use Myers against Blalock and then bring in Chacon.

(I know everyone thinks Beam is a piece of garbage, but trust me, he is talented and before the year is out he will show you that he is. The man can pitch. His numbers in the minors this year were unreal. He will settle down and find his groove.)

Just an unbelievable performance by Chac. He seemed to have an attitude about the whole thing after the game, but it was his finest moment this year.

And, boy, did Giambi need that hit. He’s been struggling worse than A-Rod. I still think he needs some time off, but that had to lift a weight from his shoulders. Somehow when Jeter got that base hit you just felt like Giambi was going to knock one out of there.

This was a huge, huge win for the team. They came back, lost the lead, and then came back again. And in doing so gained a game on the Sox and moved into the lead in the wild card.

3. Don
      July 27th, 2006 | 3:31 am

Sure, but six weeks or so ago the line was why won’t the team call TJ up? Oh, right, Torre never ‘trusts’ young players (big laugh), so why bother. And when Joe does trust a young reliever he’s bashed in some quarters when the player fails.

I would not have used Proctor but would have gone with Chacon first.

Supposedly, according to ‘Suzyn’, Melky was only asked to bunt one time. Oy vey!

4. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 27th, 2006 | 4:13 am

The Yanks dodged a few bullet in this series… it looks like lady luck is turning back to the Yanks favor again.

5. July 27th, 2006 | 7:37 am

Once it was determined Farnsworth was not available, he had no choice but to bring in Proctor. Perhaps you could argue he should have brought in Myers for Blalock, but after that, it is NOT obvious but extremely Hindsightiness to bring in Chacon. Considering how terribly he has pitched lately, he isn’t the obvious choice to come in, in that situation. Very happy he got out of it, but it is absurd to question Torre because he didn’t go to Chacon first.

6. baileywalk
      July 27th, 2006 | 11:37 am

FYI, “hindsightiness” is not a word.

My call for Chacon has nothing to do with his heroics later in the game. You can’t bring Proctor in AGAIN after he’s pitched in every game of the series AND pitched two innings the night before. Torre had already said he didn’t want to use Proctor. Putting in a guy who’s exhausted and worked too much doesn’t help him or the team. It was a dumb move. The obvious choice would have been to go lefty-lefty and then take your shot with Chacon (since he was all that was left besides Mo). There was no excuse to bring in Proctor.

7. July 27th, 2006 | 3:46 pm

FYI I know “hindsightiness” is not a word, and didn’t give a damn.

8. baileywalk
      July 27th, 2006 | 4:03 pm

Well, if you want to make up words because “you don’t give a damn,” be my guest. But when people see something like “hindsightiness” they probably will question your intelligence and take you less seriously. Just FYI.