• Sal Fasano

Posted by on July 26th, 2006 · Comments (13)

From the Post:

Looking to upgrade their backup catching situation the Yankees acquired Sal Fasano from the Phillies last night for an undisclosed minor leaguer, The Post has learned.

Fasano had been designated for assignment by the Phillies last weekend and immediately caught the Yankees’ attention because he was with them in spring training in 2004 and spent the season with Columbus (Triple-A).

Fasano, 34, is expected to replace Kelly Stinnett.

Fasano plays with some emotion. But, offensively, to be candid, the difference between Kelly Stinnett and Sal Fasano is the same difference between the Oscar-worthiness of Howard The Duck and Can’t Stop The Music.

Maybe Cash just likes guys who look like Rocky Balboa?

I think I’m going to like watching Fasano play. But, I’m not sure how this is an upgrade.

Comments on Sal Fasano

1. July 26th, 2006 | 11:11 am

On the plus side, all of Sal’s Pals (even as a backup catcher, he had his own dedicated fan section!) from down here in Philly can ride the turnpike up to the Bronx.

2. Athos333
      July 26th, 2006 | 11:25 am

I’m pretty happy about this one. There’s something a wee bit Munsonesque about the guy… besides, I liked the way he played against our boys last time.

3. MJ
      July 26th, 2006 | 11:33 am

I wasn’t old enough to watch Munson but I am sure that there are those who would say “I knew Munson, and Fasano is no Munson.”

4. Athos333
      July 26th, 2006 | 11:45 am

I would probably be one of them as I spent alot of time enjoying my favorite Yank, but it’s hard not to see that handlebar’d face and not hear the ghost…

5. July 26th, 2006 | 12:03 pm

So who catches tonight? Wasn’t tonight supposed to be Stinnett’s niigghhtt? Give Jorge a working over because he’d get two days off, tonight and tomorrow? Is Stinnett DFA?

6. July 26th, 2006 | 12:08 pm

Ah, in partial answer to my own question there is a press release at yankees.com saying that Stinnett has been DFA. It doesn’t say who is catching tonight, though.

7. baileywalk
      July 26th, 2006 | 12:09 pm

This is a pointless, maybe even idiotic, move. Fasano’s numbers are nearly identical to Kelly’s. Fasano isn’t a considerable offensive upgrade, so what’s the point? Kelly has shown himself to be a good defensive catcher who works well with the staff and does a good job of throwing out runners. If Fasano isn’t going to hit any better than Kelly, what’s the point of bringing on a new backup catcher in the middle of the season? Working with a new catcher is sort of like having sex with a new girlfriend: you’re trying to explore what she likes, express what YOU like, trying to tell her these things without coming off as demanding, etc. Kelly worked really well with Wang, which made him perfect for this job, in my opinion.

This seems like a change for change’s sake.

8. JohnnyC
      July 26th, 2006 | 12:15 pm

bailey, there is little difference between them offensively but to say that Stinnett has been good defensively? The guy has been throwing 3 hoppers to second base all season long and he is easily the equal of Jorge in being unable to grasp the fine art of framing a strike. Add that to his abysmal hitting and even Fasano is an upgrade, minor though it may be. Fasano gives a good low target a la Tony Pena, has a decent arm, and tries to block balls in the dirt. Which is a lot more than you could say for Stinnett, whose only reason for being probably was as RJ’s personal catcher. Well, we know where that is.

9. July 26th, 2006 | 12:20 pm

Finally, a guy who looks like Major League’s Clew Haywood on the Yankees. Don’t expect him to hit ‘em to South America, but at least he does lead the league in nose hair.

10. baileywalk
      July 26th, 2006 | 12:28 pm

I don’t know, Johnny, I seem to recall Kelly being pretty good at blocking balls in the dirt. And didn’t he have some insane percentage of throwing out base runners?

Kelly is nothing special, but I just wonder how much of an upgrade this is. Yeah, Fasano gets down low and it’s fun to watch him do it, but I’m more concerned about putting him with a whole new staff and expecting him to work well with them. I personally hating working with a new catcher because initially, depending on who was with the team first, one guy makes all the decisions, and it takes a while to get a dialogue going. (The new guy ALWAYS defers to the established-with-the-team guy.) I suppose it’s different on the pro level.

I don’t think this could hurt the team — but I also don’t think it will improve it. And if anyone out there thinks Fasano is going to hit more than Kelly, they’re dreaming.

11. JohnnyC
      July 26th, 2006 | 12:38 pm

Part of the reason they picked him up is he worked with the staff throughout Spring Training so he “knows” them. bailey, it’s just another instance of Torre’s veterans complex but at least he’s not taking PT away from someone actually useful. I guess Torre has a very low opinion of Wil Nieves and Koyie Hill. Look at it this way, at least they didn’t drag Flaherty down from the broadcast booth…you know Torre was thinking it.

12. Don
      July 26th, 2006 | 2:15 pm

How’d I know that JohnnyC would somehow blame Joe Torre for this move? LOL

13. JohnnyC
      July 26th, 2006 | 4:45 pm

And I knew you’d chime in too Mr. Don. Or is it Mr. Torre?