• The Trade For Abreu & Lidle

Posted by on July 30th, 2006 · Comments (12)

So, in the end, the Yankees gave up C.J. Henry, Matt Smith, Jesus Sanchez and Carlos Monasterios for Abreu & Lidle.

There’s nothing there, lost, that’s going to make mark on the Yankees farm system. Nothing at all, on the whole.

Better yet, the Phillies paid Abreu to waive his no-trade clause. And, the Yankees didn’t have to pick up Abreu’s option for 2008. New York will “only” owe Abreu $4.4 million this season, $13 million next season and a $2 million buyout for 2008.

Oh my stars and garters, this is sweet.

I’ve already gone on record that I believe Cory Lidle can help the Yankees. Put it this way, compared to Sidney Ponson, he’s gold.

And, Bobby Abreu? I have a gut feeling about him coming to the Bronx now – and I see him having a “David Justice 2000″ impact on the Yankees team this season. (And, I’m not worried about the “loss of power” thing for him. Actually, I buy into the theory that N.L. teams would rather walk him than give him a pitch to drive. Thus, he could sneak up on the A.L. pitchers for a few weeks here.)

I hope the Yankees bat Abreu ahead of A-Rod and Giambi (and after Damon and Jeter). I like the idea of the line-up going left-right-left-right-left. And, then, in the bottom four of the line-up you will have Posada, Phillips/Matsui, Cano, and Melky.

Yes, Melky. What about Sheffield? He’s on target, now, to be available for the last 4 weeks of the season. He’s going to want to play – because he’s making a case for himself to get a contract, somewhere, next year.

To be honest, I think Sheffeild should only get a chance to play if Cabrera is struggling or if Matsui cannot come back. Otherwise, he should be used in spots – and not on a regular basis. If he tears the cover off the ball in those chances, then you reconsider the line-up.

That might not be fair. And, he’s not going to like it. But, who ever said life was fair and that you’re always going to like it?

Comments on The Trade For Abreu & Lidle

1. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 30th, 2006 | 10:53 pm

If Sheff and Matsui does come back it seems logical for Sheff to DH, nothing against Melky, but Sheff is gone after this year while Melky has already done his job and earned his keep.

2. baileywalk
      July 31st, 2006 | 12:10 am

I’m not saying Cashman is wrong to make this deal, but I don’t understand how you can definitively state that we didn’t lose anything from the farm. C.J. was a first-round pick for a reason. He’s a tremendous athlete with a lot of speed. Most of his hits this year were for extra bases. He was striking out too much and making a lot of errors at short, but when they drafted him they knew he was a semi-project because he had really just started playing baseball (he was more of a basketball player). Everyone knew it would take him at least two or three years to really develop his game, which is why people like Peter Abraham are such know-nothing morons when they call him a “bust.” (Nineteen year old kids have a lot way before they can be called a bust.)

This was, without question, a salary dump by the Phillies. But they wanted SOMETHING out of it and what they got is a young kid with huge upside. I don’t know this for sure, but I bet the Phillies scouted Henry last year around draft time and liked what they saw. What they might have on their hands is a good future player — and even better, a potential trade chip (Henry is raw, but he has a lot of skill).

I’ve always liked Bobby and I think he’ll do well here (in a perfect world he will hit a home run in his first game). Does he put us over the edge? No. Is Lidle any big improvement? No. The only way this team makes it to the World Series is if Wang and Moose continue to do what they’re doing, Randy gets over that 130-pitch affair, and Cano gets back and gets Cairo out of the lineup. And if Matsui comes back healthy and able to hit, that’s all the better.

My brother-in-law, a Mets fans, told me all year that Bobby would flourish here with the Yanks because he got burned out with the Phillies. I hope he’s right.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      July 31st, 2006 | 12:58 am

Two major needs were filled by this deal. The Yanks have improved to the point where I believe they’re now the favorites to win the East. In order to do that they had to give up something. Which prospect would you have preferred the Yanks give up? I think the loss of Henry is a worthwhile risk. If Tabata or Hughes (or someone who had actually done well and was regarded as a player with big upside) was included, I’d be less excited about this trade. As it stands, every expert across the blogosphere and mainstream media outlets agree: The Yanks fleeced the Phils.

4. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 31st, 2006 | 6:14 am

This was pure robbery, I think there is nothing that the Yanks can complain about this one.

5. July 31st, 2006 | 10:04 am

Hey bailey,
      I’m as big of a Yankees-prospect homer as they come (I’m James and I have a prospect-crush on Tyler Clippard)…but giving up on C.J. Henry is more or less a no-brainer. You mentioned that it would take him 2-3 years to develop – well, it’s been a year and a half so far and he’s not really developing all that much. I think what bothers most analysts/prospect hounds is that in that time, he hasn’t progressed – he hasn’t made adjustments, which probably led Peter A. to say that “One of them is expected to be SS C.J. Henry, their first-round pick from 2005 who has proven to be a bust so far.” That, for the most part is accurate in that he hasn’t been very good so far, especially for someone who was drafted so highly (considering who else was available). There’s no real need to start calling people names there.

You’re right – Henry could turn it around at some point but at best, he’s the third or fourth best prospect at Charleston right now. Also, if he moves to the outfield, a lot of his perceived value diminishes as Jackson is comparable in terms of athleticism and Tabata is miles ahead in terms of hitting ability. The Yankees dealt from a prospect position of strength (other OF prospects include Gardner, Curtis, Battle) and dealt one of their least valuable prospects to get the deal done. Not too shabby, I thought. I know you’re not panning the deal but Steve mostly right, in terms of this trade, the Yanks gave up nothing from the current system that is not easily replaceable.

6. redbug
      July 31st, 2006 | 10:18 am

Steve, you said, “I like the idea of the line-up going left-right-left-right-left. And, then, in the bottom four of the line-up you will have Posada, Phillips/Matsui, Cano, and Melky.”

How does Melky stay in the line up if Matsui is back? They’d have Matsui in left, Damon in center and Abrue in right.

7. July 31st, 2006 | 10:26 am

Use Matsui at DH.
      And, Melky in LF – where he helps with “D” at YS.

8. Josh
      July 31st, 2006 | 11:22 am

Steve,

Are you (once again)out of your mind? If/When Sheffeld comes back, he will be inserted right into the lineup on a nearly everyday basis. This is a premier hitter we are talking about. Sheff will likely be close to a perm. DH when he returns. If this mean Melky suffers in the short term, well I’m sorry but you do not get a player like Sheff back and sit him on the bench. That is lunacy.

9. JohnnyC
      July 31st, 2006 | 11:26 am

Look at it this way, drafting Henry has already paid dividends because he was used to acquire Bobby Abreu AND protect higher-ranked prospects like Hughes and Tabata. Now Jon Poterson…that’s a bust. And James is correct, Henry would’ve been switched to OF sooner than later (I think Philly will do the same since Rollins isn’t going anywhere). Once he became an OF prospect, the need to show something more than “tools” would’ve diminished his value to the level of, say, Juan Rivera, the noted “5 tool player” according to Orel Hershiser last night. BTW, Hershiser was laughably incompetent during last night’s “audition” on ESPN. He made me long for Joe Morgan. Really.

10. July 31st, 2006 | 12:08 pm

Josh – what about rust and rehab? You really want Sheffield out there, off three months of sitting around, with a wrist that’s not 100% over Melky?

Like I said – if Sheff can show that he can hit, sure, play him. But, if he’s not 100% then, yes, I’m rather see Melky in LF and Matsui at DH – assuming that Matsui can play.

11. JohnnyC
      July 31st, 2006 | 12:33 pm

An important point in all this is that, assuming Matsui returns in August and Sheff after September 1st, while Matsui would be able to rehab in the minors, Sheffield would have nowhere to do that since the minors’ regular seasons end Sept 1st. You would be playing Sheff everyday without any idea of what he can do.

12. baileywalk
      July 31st, 2006 | 2:21 pm

Like I SAID: this is a deal the Yankees have to make. C.J. is talented — and so was Matt Smith, by the way — but this was a salary dump by the Phils and there’s no way that C.J. Henry can stand in the way.

HOWEVER…

My only objection is that everyone calls Henry a bust. That’s flat-out BULLSHIT. Not because it’s not disappointing how much he’s striking out and that he’s hitting around .230, but because he was a raw player who’s still a kid. I have no qualms trading Henry for Abreu, but you can’t tell me that one day he won’t be a good player. He’s nineteen years old in his second year of pro ball. You can see into the future and tell me he’s not going to amount to anything? No, Henry is not Tabata or Jackson (who has his own issues right now with striking out) and he was outhit plenty by Corona, but, again, he is a GREAT athlete and basketball was his focus just a few years ago.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t have traded him. I’m offended by the idea that people think they can see into the future of a nineteen year old and tell me what he’s going to do.

And sorry, James, but Peter Abraham is a moron. Before the deal went down he said it would “make sense” to send Eric Duncan to the Phils for Abreu.

Also, we did not “fleece” the Phils. That’s ridiculous. We took on over twenty million dollars of salary. For a guy whose home-run power/average has shrunk over the last year and a half. This was a salary dump for the Phils because they intend to rebuild. It was a mutually beneficial deal.