• August 13th vs. The Angels

Posted by on August 13th, 2006 · Comments (13)

Too little, too late.

Bill Clinton would hate this game.
    Close, but, no cigar.

Boston is now just one game behind the Yankees in the A.L. East.

Looked like it was perfect baseball weather in the Bronx today. Lots of sun, not too hot. It was a very bright day. Full of light.

To borrow from the lyrics of an ol’ Romeo Void song (“Your Life Is A Lie”) after today’s performance, it would not be a reach to say to the Yankees:

You’re a great silhouette
    You cast a shadow
    But you don’t stand up to the light

Comments on August 13th vs. The Angels

1. RICH
      August 13th, 2006 | 8:44 pm

Aren’t you curious about Monday’s game before the Orioles series?

2. brockdc
      August 13th, 2006 | 8:47 pm

Watching the game today, is it possible for a lineup to be TOO patient? I mean, I’m not saying they should be flailing away at every pitch, but some of these guys seem a bit too content with 0-2, 1-2 counts.

3. Yu Hsing Chen
      August 13th, 2006 | 9:06 pm

The approach was right, but we just can’t seem to ever solve a good rookie pitcher… a lot of swings were swinging under the balls in low and away pitches, which is odd… usually if your really beaten on those pitchers you swing over it , either Jered throws a rising fastball or our guys simply had no read on his pitch movements. (aka bad scouting?)

Wang actually didn’t pitch poorly stuff wise, asside from the lead off HR everything else was really find hole or infield singles or blooper, that’s kind of tough luck on his part, this was actually the first game in a while i seen him throw both his slider and changeup effectively in one game.

4. August 13th, 2006 | 9:08 pm

:o You’re right Rich. I just remembered that today was Sunday. I’ve been on vacation and lost track of the days. I’ve just corrected that.

5. JeremyM
      August 13th, 2006 | 9:14 pm

Honestly, I didn’t even realize this was a 4-game series until yesterday-and since it’s against the freaking Angels, who are apparently the Yankees’ daddy, I wasn’t happy about it. I’m a little concerned about Wang as that is two straight starts where he was beaten up. Maybe the league is adjusting to him now? I know Chicago was stepping up in the box last start, which to me seemed like a great time to throw his fastball. Or maybe his “luck” with balls in play is running out. Luckily, he has some other weapons at his disposal besides the split so hopefully he can adjust.

And you’re right brockdc, the patience is great but you have to mix in some RBIs once in a while. Some times that takes jumping on a first pitch fastball so if they’re taking that first pitch every time, it can be a problem (I have no idea if that is the case).

6. brockdc
      August 13th, 2006 | 9:40 pm

Yu Hsing, if you’re right about the scouting, that is simply inexcusable on the Yankees part, with all of the resources at their disposal.

7. baileywalk
      August 14th, 2006 | 12:11 am

Two scenarios set up for tomorrow:

All will be right in the world if Nate Robertson beats Beckett and the Red Sox (it could happen — Robertson’s a decent lefty they haven’t seen yet this year, and Beckett should be giving up some home runs to the Tigers) and Randy Johnson beats Lackey and the Angels (which won’t be that easy, since Randy hasn’t pitched well against the Angels and Lackey has our number).

The world will be in panic if the opposite happens (the Sox win and we lose).

It’s kind of amazing how tenuous the situation is right now.

8. Yu Hsing Chen
      August 14th, 2006 | 3:15 am

brockdc, how else do we explain that we pretty much sucked against every rookie pitcher except one this year? while some of those pitchers really do have great stuff, not everyone is getting owned by them like we are… and in some cases, we’re the only onces they are owning ( see David Paulie, pitched 7 innings of 2 run balls against us, got rocked by everyone else and was send back down)

9. Don
      August 14th, 2006 | 3:33 am

Isn’t it two in the loss column? Or am I using new math?

Rookie pitchers? This goes back a loooooong way with the Yankees? Gotta have something stupidly negative in a franchise.

10. RICH
      August 14th, 2006 | 4:56 am

I think you guys are clutching at straws when you attribute it to seeing a pitcher for the first time. I’ve heard it often but I’ve never seen any specific numbers.

If that’s the case, then Abreu and Craig Wilson are seeing most of these pitchers for the first time for just about every game.

Weaver and Saunders haven’t pitched a poor game against anyone yet, not just the Yankees.

The Yankees seeing Weaver for the first time wouldn’t have any bearing on Wang giving up 13 hits in 5 innings.

It’s not the hitting that has caused the Yanks to lose 2 of the 3 games so far.

11. JohnnyC
      August 14th, 2006 | 10:20 am

Weaver’s last 4 starts before Sunday, ERA over 4. Someone’s been hitting him since he got recalled. Just not the Yankees.

12. rmd0311
      August 14th, 2006 | 11:12 am

Alright., It’s official.. Maybe I should sell the rest of my partial ticket plan. I have gone to 9 games this year at the stadium and the Yankess HAVE LOST EVERY SINGLE ONE… Am I just tainted, bad luck? Seriously thinking of selling the remainder of my tickets. I have two for the BOS and two for the TOR at the end of the year.

Arghhhhhhhh.

13. MJ
      August 14th, 2006 | 1:12 pm

rmd0311, if you’re selling, I’m buying.