• Lidle Out, Bruney In

Posted by on August 17th, 2006 · Comments (7)

From Newsday -

Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle was placed on the bereavement list Thursday following the death of his grandmother.

The assignment is for a minimum of three days and maximum of five.

To replace Lidle on the roster, the Yankees purchased the contract of pitcher Brian Bruney from their Columbus affiliate. Bruney was signed to a minor league contract by the Yankees after being released by Arizona July 1.

I thought that Bruney pick-up might come in handy.

If I had to guess, I would say that Lidle’s grandmother was at least 74-years old. She could be as old as 94, as far as I know. Based on Lidle’s age, the range of 74-94 seems to be right.

In a way, this helps the Yankees – an extra arm to mop up, if needed, in the first four games of the Boston set – and then Lidle comes back to make his start.

Larry Lucchino will probably demand to see the death certificate when he hears this news.

Comments on Lidle Out, Bruney In

1. August 17th, 2006 | 3:14 pm

>>Given her age, I doubt that Lidle is so shocked over her passing that it will casue him to miss his next start in Fenway.<<

I kinda hope you were joking around Steve, because anytime a loved one passes it’s a “shocking” thing, regardless of age, etc.

2. August 17th, 2006 | 4:02 pm

Maybe it’s just me. When you have a loved one, and they’re near their 80′s, I think you should start to prepare yourself for their passing – because it can happen at any time, around that age.

Sure, it’s nice to wish that everyone will live to 100 – but, check the obits. Most of the older people passing are in their 70′s and 80′s.

Now, don’t get me wrong. ANY PASSING is still sad – and one of the worse things that someone has to deal with…….but, when someone that old passes, it should not be a situation where you’re shocked that it happened.

That’s what I meant.

3. August 17th, 2006 | 4:18 pm

Anyway, Bruney struck out the side in his debut.

4. rbj
      August 17th, 2006 | 5:46 pm

I wasn’t so shocked when my last grandparent died — she was in her late 80s, with diabetes. Still, I was sad. I did continue with my law classes though. (being on the other side of the country, I really couldn’t make it back in time for the funeral)

5. August 17th, 2006 | 6:50 pm

“Given her age, I doubt that Lidle is so shocked over her passing that it will casue him to miss his next start in Fenway.”

Steve, you have gone way over the line here.

He has to be “shocked” in order to take a few days off of work to attend his grandmother’s funeral? WTF? I’m glad I don’t work for you.

What if she was 75 and in perfect health? I know 75-year olds who are in better shape than I am. Would that be shocking enough for you?

I usually enjoy your speculation about what might really be happening behind the scenes in Yankee-land, but this is just tacky and beyond insensitive.

6. jonm
      August 17th, 2006 | 9:21 pm

I think that some of you are being a bit hard on Steve here. I knew what he meant. Plus, the fact is that ballplayers usually do not leave the team to attend a grandparent’s funeral.

This works out well for the Yankees and for Lidle. They use the rules of the bereavement list to have an extra arm on hand for the next few days and Lidle can do the good thing and go to his grandmother’s funeral. He certainly won’t miss his Sunday start though. I’m not sure that the Yankees would allow him to do that on the occasion of the death of a grandparent — as harsh as that sounds.

7. August 17th, 2006 | 9:21 pm

Sorry guys. Maybe I’m just a little desensitized (sic?) on this since 3/4 of my grandparents passed when I was a child – and my life just went on at that time.

FWIW, my dad’s mom passed away when I was 29. (She was 74.) Was I sad? Yes, very, very sad. Did my life stop? No, because I knew my grandmother extremely well and I knew that she would be pissed as hell if I let this turn my life up-side-down.

Sure, we had the wake, etc., and, I spent the day after everything with my Dad – to try and be supportive – since the man did lose his mother.

But, 5 days after it all happened, I was able to go to work and function at my job.

I would expect that Lidle could do the same. That’s all that I’m saying.

If he can’t, that’s OK too. Different strokes and all that……