• August 19th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on August 19th, 2006 · Comments (14)

When it comes to the Yankees playing the Red Sox, there was a time where there was nothing better than beating Pedro Martinez. And, once Slippery Pete decided to move his Mango Tree to Queens, the ultimate “Beat the Sox pleasure” became taking the tar and feathers to Curt Schilling.

While Schilling will always be Blanco Primera, pounding the stuffing out of Josh “You Can Take The Boy Out Of The Trailer Park, But Not The Trailer Park Out Of The Boy” Beckett is as sweet as rock candy too. So, this game was very enjoyable.

There’s just something about Beckett. I’ve always felt that, if Roseanne Barr – the original one, before all the plastic surgery – had a sex change, she/he would look just like Josh Beckett, and act just like Josh Beckett, today. And, that’s one annoying fem-dude. I guess that’s it about Beckett – the fem-dude-ness that he gives off with all the strutting, whining and the can’t-grow-any-facial-hair thing.

In any event, watching the way the Yankees and the Red Sox have each conducted their business in these first three games has gotten my blood thirst up – and, now, I want the sweep.

It’s just a shame that we have to wait over 24 hours (from the last out of this game) until the first pitch of Game Four.

The Yankees will have to change their game plan for this next one because Schilling will not walk people. And, Mussina will have to be on his game. But, seeing the results of the first three games makes me now feel that the next two should be fun too.

Comments on August 19th @ The Red Sox

1. brockdc
      August 19th, 2006 | 9:09 pm

Someone with the physical attributes of Beckett should flat-out dominate on a fairly consistent basis. But he really has become his own worst enemy with the nibbling and inability to control his curve. In fact, I’d argue that he didn’t get the stuffing pounded out of him at all. Worse – he walked the ballpark.

2. baileywalk
      August 19th, 2006 | 9:23 pm

Nope, he got his ass whipped. He gave up seven hits in 5.2 innings, including a home run. Even if you take away the three runs Delcarmen let in with a walk to Cano and the triple by Posada, Beckett gave up six earned runs in less than six innings. That’s awful.

And I’m not really sure a pitcher can use the excuse “hey, if I hadn’t walked nine I wouldn’t have been nearly as bad.”

It’s not just about Beckett not being able to get his curve over anymore. He has no control of his fastball, either. Aside from one nasty fastball on the outside corner to A-Rod (of course), it seemed like Beckett could only throw his fastball for strikes if he threw it right over the plate.

It was hard to get a handle on exactly how hard he was throwing. The Fox gun had him at 90-97, and I don’t really believe Beckett has the ability to alter the speed on his fastball that much.

But if you split the difference and say he was throwing around 93 consistently, you have a guy with so-so velocity who can’t control any of his pitches and has to repeatedly challenge guys with balls right over the plate. This equals a struggling pitcher who’s giving up a ton of home runs.

On the other side of things, Johnson again looked like crap. Yeah, he got the win, and yeah, he settled down, but if I never see another flat Randy Johnson slider I’ll be a happy man. WHY is he throwing Manny sliders behind in the count? That three-run BOMB was so inevitable it was ridiculous. I can understand why Unit’s velocity is down, but how did he forget how to throw a slider?

It’s rather depressing to think that he’ll be pitching here again next year.

With the way Randy’s been pitching this year, fans everywhere better hope that reviled hurler Carl Pavano does well in his Trenton rehab starts and comes here as insurance for Randy’s eventual postseason meltdown.

3. JeremyM
      August 19th, 2006 | 9:48 pm

I hope Pavano can help as well. As far as Unit, he did have the one terrible inning but other than that, he gave them exactly what was needed. The bullpen got a much-needed days rest. Still, Moose needs to give a similar effort as Villone is probably still comatose, Farnsworth won’t be ready, and Proctor has thrown a lot lately but will be available of course.

And I think beating Beckett is like beating the 1A to Schilling’s 1 right now. It’s pretty damn sweet. Of course, he’s still an ace. espn told me so.

4. baileywalk
      August 19th, 2006 | 10:20 pm

That’s a good point, JM. Randy did give the team seven, which was important. Though his five walks (the sixth was intentional) were rather scary. Even when Randy is pitching well, I don’t trust him.

Because God hates Mike Mussina, I fully expect him to have a good game tomorrow and get a no-decision (so that he can sit and pull out his hair, seeing Johnson, despite an ERA almost 2 runs higher than his, with 14 wins).

5. August 19th, 2006 | 11:07 pm

Did I just see someone say that Carl Pavano will be on the Yankees post-season roster this year?

Hey, if you’re letting anyone on, can I be on it too?

6. baileywalk
      August 19th, 2006 | 11:13 pm

Well, in the real world — not the one where fans who’ve never played baseball compare themselves favorably to a pro baseball players — Carl Pavano is 1) a World Series champ; 2) an eighteen-game winner; 3) a fresh arm that could help the team. People may think Pavano is “pussy” who doesn’t have the “heart” to play in New York, but he’s currently rehabbing back from surgery and if he feels he’s ready to pitch again, I’d certainly take him over Lidle.

7. August 19th, 2006 | 11:28 pm

You must be related to Pavano in some way, baileywalk. Either that, or, you’re Brian Cashman.

Pavano is a ~~~”1) a World Series champ; 2) an eighteen-game winner; 3) a fresh arm that could help the team.”~~~

Denny Neagle fits all three of those items now too. Would you take him over Lidle? Kevin Brown too. Would you take Brown over Lidle now?

Two questions: When was the last time Pavano took toe to a major league mound? And, how did he pitch in New York the last time he took a regular turn there?

The Yankees would be better off giving the ball to Jaret Wright now than Pavano – and that’s not because Wright is very good.

8. baileywalk
      August 20th, 2006 | 12:09 am

Neagle and Brown won 18 games in ’04? They won rings in ’03? I thought Brown was losing the ALCS for us in ’04. I guess I have the wrong guy…

Neagle is probably out picking up a disturbingly mannish prostitute. And Brown is retired. Last time I checked, neither is getting paid ten million dollars a year by the Yankees.

I, too, wouldn’t give the ball to Pavano over Wright. You might notice I said he was better than LIDLE.

I get that all the time — “you must be Pavano’s brother,” etc. — but I simply don’t understand the hostility toward the man. Would people prefer he pitch hurt like he did before the All-Star Break last year and go out there and bomb? I’ve had injuries that I ignored and, trust me, I regret it to this day. It’s stupid to think he’s “faking” injuries. Before he was hurt, he was effective. Since he’s a part of this team — like it or not — I want him to come back strong. And believe that he can.

When people complain about Pavano, a lot of it revolves around the money he’s making (or “stealing”). Last time I checked, we’re not paying his salary.

The best thing that could happen to this team is Pavano coming back and pitching down the stretch. I know people like to have a person they love to hate, but I’ll take the Yankees’ interests over some petty anger/jealousy/whatever-it-is-that’s-up-everyone’s-ass any day.

9. dave
      August 20th, 2006 | 8:04 am

Hey, I hope Pavano comes back and Pitches awsome. Chacon and Small did it last year (ok not from injuries, but from Nowhere). Anything can happen. Hope is fun. Anybody know what the lotto jackpot is?

10. August 20th, 2006 | 8:59 am

baileywalk – you didn’t answer my two questions:

Give me an honest, factual, answer on both and then I will be willing to continue the Pavano debate.

The only nice thing that I can say about Pavano now is that I would rather have him on the mound than Dotel. Other than that, I got nothing.

Sure, it would be nice if he could help this team – some time, in some way. But, it would also be nice if I could make $1,000,000 – some time, in some way. I think the odds on both, now, are about the same FWIW.

11. Seamus
      August 20th, 2006 | 10:04 am

Steve,

You can look up Pavano’s stats yourself and see that he was inconsistent and I don’t know when exactly he got hurt so it is difficult to tell exactly who was the healthy Pavano. But I think impressions of his time in 1995 is confused by folks because his record reflects poorly on his pitching performances. When he pitched well was when the Yankees offense was asleep. Unfortunately, he had 9 quality starts and only 4 wins (in 17 starts).

In comparison, Wright has only 5 quality starts so far this year (in 21 starts) but has 9 wins. Believe me, with our bullpen overuse issues, we’d be very happy to have Pavano right now. Pavano had a higher IP/start, the best K/BB ratio of his career, and its fairly safe to assumethat during his last couple of bad starts he was hurt.

Now, I wouldn’t put Pavano over Wright or Lidle automatically. I would force Pavano to pitch in long relief to make sure his stuff is there. Then depending on performance (his and theirs), I would try to work him in the rotation because if healthy he is our 3rd or 4th best option (depending on which randy johnson shows up). His career numbers, which show that his 9 quality starts in 17 games to be his worst stretch since joining the Marlins in 2002. Obviously Wright and Lidle get credit for pitching the way that they have so far this year.

Honestly, your comments on Pavano (and your insistence on asking when he last pitched – an obviouslyweak rhetorical question that you know the answer to) seem very emotional and irrational to me. If Pavano is healthy, we can use him.

12. August 20th, 2006 | 11:23 am

Here’s my point – to count on someone who hasn’t pitched in 14 months, and who was so-so (at best) when he last pitched (over his career, for that fact), is emotional and irrational. But, that’s just my opinion. Others are welcome to have their own.

13. jonm
      August 20th, 2006 | 11:31 am

Seeing Pavano as some sort of saviour is delusional. Pavano is coming back from injury and, BEFORE that injury, he was basically a league average starter (look at his adjusted ERA numbers if you don’t believe me). His 2004 season was the prototype fluke season. He was helped that year by a pitcher’s park, great Marlin defense, and some good luck. It’s also important to remember that no young Florida pitchers have really been great for an AL team (Clement, Beckett, Redman, even Burnett).

14. rbj
      August 20th, 2006 | 2:31 pm

So a guy who’s sweated the whole season and helped the Yanks get to the post season is left at home so a guy who’s been on the couch at home for over a year can play. That would suck. Pavano needs a few major league starts before I’d consider putting him on the roster. Otherwise, you’re just buying a pig in a poke.