• August 25th @ The Angels

Posted by on August 26th, 2006 · Comments (12)

Jaret Wright did well for the Yankees this past May. But, it’s time to face facts. Over the last three months, Wright has pitched like former Yankees Rich Dotson, Joe Cowley, Dave LaPoint, Andy Hawkins, Chuck Cary, and Hideki Irabu. And, as crazy as this sounds, it’s also time to replace him with Carl Pavano.

Taking it a step further, I would not include Jaret Wright on the post-season roster at this point. He just cannot be counted on – as you never know how he will pitch in a given appearance.

As to this game, for a Yankees perspective – let’s just say this: “Every Yankees fan in the world should cross their fingers that the Yankees do not have to face the Angels in the post-season – because the Angels play with a ton of confidence against the Yankees.”

Lastly, according to some “Golden Sombrero” stats that I’ve been able to locate, Alex Rodriguez is the first Yankees player to ever have two 4-strikeout games in the same season. And, only he and Bernie Williams have ever done it twice ever in a Yankees uniform. One more time and A-Rod will be the king.

GoldenARod.jpg

Comments on August 25th @ The Angels

1. baileywalk
      August 26th, 2006 | 12:06 pm

Anyone else find it hilariously ironic that people are calling for Carl Pavano? THE most hated man in the Yankee universe is now looked at as an able alternative (sorry for the alliteration there). I got POUNDED for even suggesting that Pavano would play this year. And now the call for his services grows louder. I’m shocked.

The following people lost last night’s game:

Wright. Another pitiful performance. Gator needs to give him one more Mickey-esque “Use your fastball, Rocky!” speeches. Wright has a good fastball, but after getting ahead with it, he nibbles with curves and changes, and falls behind. How is it possible, after continually getting better, that Wright has started to regress? More likely than not Wright is going into the bullpen and Pavano will be taking his spot in the rotation. Which seemed far-fetched a month ago.

Scott Proctor. He allowed the game to be tied, though I still have absolutely no negative feelings toward him. He’s probably in the top five of Yankee MVPs.

Mike Myers. How do you throw your fastball right over the plate to a struggling Garret Anderson? He had two strikes on him. That terrible pitch really lost the game.

The homeplate ump. That was a horrendous non-call on Napoli. Dotel struck him out. The ball was right over the plate. As soon as Dotel didn’t get that call, you knew the game was over. Dotel was on his way to getting out of that jam.

Our good ol’ friend Joe Torre. Joe didn’t lose the game, but I don’t understand why he couldn’t tell Farnsworth to get back out there (I know he doesn’t like to pitch two innings, but too bad) or use a well-rested Mo. If you don’t counter K-Rod with Farns or Mo, you’re more or less conceding the game, because it’s unlikely we’ll score against him. He needed to make sure the game stayed tied for the two innings K-Rod was going to pitch.

The Red Sox are making it easy on the Yanks right now. Schilling got whacked by the Mariners, so the Yankees are still five and a half games up.

As for A-Rod: is it even worth talking about anymore? It almost hurts to say it, but he’s becoming worthless at the plate. He gets beat by any fastball. A Bruce Chen fastball is going to be blown right by him. Don’t expect Giambi to get anything to hit if first base is open.

You have to wonder if Joe would move A-Rod down in the order if Cano wasn’t a lefty. I think Joe is going to have to make that decision with certain teams — if they have no lefty reliever, or if their lefty reliever isn’t that good, then he has to go Abreu, Giambi, Cano. A-Rod kills the lineup batting fifth. And Posada is no better right now.

2. August 26th, 2006 | 1:03 pm

I thought I would let you fellow Yankee fans know that I put together a page that pulls in feeds from the top Yankee news sources and blogs:

3. mehmattski
      August 26th, 2006 | 1:06 pm

If anyone ever wanted to criticize David Ortiz (twice this season) or Ryan Howard (thrice this season) every day like people do with A-Rod, they could point to that Golden Sombrero list…

4. baileywalk
      August 26th, 2006 | 1:45 pm

David Ortiz and my boy Ryan Howard: MVP candidates, having the best offensive years of their lives (it’s Howard’s first full year in the bigs!), each with 45 home runs.

Do you really want to compare them to A-Rod?

5. hopbitters
      August 26th, 2006 | 2:17 pm

David Ortiz is a great hitter, but he’s not the best on his own team and he’s only the third best DH in the league.

6. rbj
      August 26th, 2006 | 2:57 pm

Remember baileywalk, A-Rod already does have 2 MVPs and is the youngest player to 450 HRs. I won’t compare this season, though.

7. baileywalk
      August 26th, 2006 | 3:08 pm

rbj, I don’t give a damn if A-Rod wins fifteen MVPs and hits 800 home runs. 2006 wasn’t his season. His 2006 doesn’t come close to comparing to Ortiz’s and Howard’s. That’s the bottom line.

At the end of their careers, A-Rod’s numbers will dwarf Ortiz’s (though I can’t say the same about Howard).

But exactly what does that have to do with A-Rod swinging and missing at every fat fastball right over the plate in ’06? Nothing.

8. baileywalk
      August 26th, 2006 | 4:03 pm

Torre has A-Rod batting second today. Boy, that Torre really earns his money. Great move — put the struggling guy in a position to struggle more. And just keep repeating your tired, stupid moves, old man. Part of the reason the Yankees lost to the Angels in the playoffs last year was because Alex was struggling in the two-hole and Torre was too pigheaded to change the lineup.

Hopefully the Marlins will fire their Joe and we can steal him away for next year.

9. JeremyM
      August 26th, 2006 | 6:37 pm

I hate the Angels.

I hate Cabrera and Anderson and Erstad and Rodriguez and all those guys. I hate that they always find ways to beat the Yankees in the most infuriating way possible.

I hate their name. I hate that singing cowboy that used to own them. I hate that Reggie Jackson wore their uniform. Hell, I hate that Bo Jackson wore their uniform.

I hate Tony Danza and Danny Glover and Christopher Lloyd and that cheesy kid for starring in a lame movie about them. I hate Disney. I hate Anaheim, Los Angelese, California, and Los Angeles of Anaheim.

I hate thundersticks. I hate their nickname. I hate their fat manager. I hate both of the Weaver brothers.

I hate Shawn being spelled ‘Chone.’ I hate Figgins and his 6 different gloves. I hate that he’s called a sparkplug. I hate that Juan Rivera has ‘arrived’ as an Angel.

I hate the Angels.

10. August 26th, 2006 | 10:20 pm

Ditto.

11. brockdc
      August 27th, 2006 | 1:49 am

Jeremy M, that was poetry. Being at the game today was like undergoing an endoscopy. I’ve concluded that Angels fans are just a grubbier, less informed version of Sox fans.

August 27th, 2006 | 11:42 am

===========
      Peaks and valleys of a season. You have hot streaks, you have cold streaks. Good players have more of the former than the latter.