• Time To Send Pavano Packing

Posted by on August 28th, 2006 · Comments (19)

This is a true story.

At 5:14 pm ET today, a friend in my office (who is a fellow Yankees fan) dropped me an e-mail which simply read:

“Confirmed – Carl Pavano was in a car accident a few weeks ago and may have a broken a rib.”

Thinking that this was a total joke, I wrote back to him and said:

“Either that, or, on the day of his first start, he’ll say that his period is really heavy and the cramps won’t allow him to pitch.”

I had no idea that what my friend was telling me was a fact. I mean, come on now – everyone jokes about the next Pavano story, but – a car accident story, now, seemed way too far out to be true.

And, just now, I see that my friend was not kidding meat all. This is incredible.

Worse, Pavano never told the Yankees about the accident until 2 weeks after it happened.

This is not the same as Aaron Boone’s basketball knee. There, Boone got hurt doing something that he was no supposed to do. Here, Pavano got hurt doing something within his rights – but, he was supposed to tell the team about it when it happened.

While this might be a tougher fight to get Pavano’s contract voided, I hope the Yankees do go after him. I see no reason to pay this dud another $20 million dollars.

Reportedly, but from fair sources, many Yankees players view Pavano as a joke. And, they are correct. The Pavano situation is an embarrassment to the ballclub. Brian Cashman needs to live up to the fact that this was a bad signing – even if the Red Sox, Tigers and Mariners wanted Pavano too – and cut his losses while given this chance.

And, if the Yankees opt not to get rid of Pavano now, then, going forward, every stupid thing that Pavano does should be blamed on Cashman (and company) and not Pavano.

If you’re standing around in the park and a bird poops on your head, it’s O.K. to curse the bird. If you go to the park another day, and the bird poops on your head again, even though you’re standing in a different spot, it’s still O.K. to curse the bird. If you go to the park a third time, and it happens again, it’s still probably O.K. to curse the bird.

But, if you have a chance to go to the beach, and decide to stick with going to the park, and, when you do, the bird poops on your head again – it’s your fault for being a moron when you had a great chance to get out of it (and do something else).

Don’t be a moron Yankees. Here’s your chance. Do the right thing.

And do it before this bird poops on your head again.

Comments on Time To Send Pavano Packing

1. baileywalk
      August 28th, 2006 | 10:19 pm

Um, what? Steve, WHAT the hell are you talking about? The guy was in a car accident and broke his ribs. I guess he’s not “faking” injuries like everyone thought. And you can’t see why he would hide this? Could it be, oh, THAT EVERYONE IN THE UNIVERSE, INCLUDING YOU AND EVERY OTHER WRITER AND MEDIA FIGURE, WAS CALLING PAVANO A PUNK WHO WAS “SCARED” TO PITCH?

He obviously didn’t want anyone to know. And he pitched through it — and will pitch again. I guess he’s not such a “pussy” after all.

Why Pavano getting into an accident should occasion them cutting him from the team is beyond my comprehension. Unless of course you think he made the accident happen. I mean, people blame Pavano for so much that it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

He was driving in a car and he got into an accident. It’s not the end of the world, and your reaction to it is mystifying.

2. festus
      August 28th, 2006 | 10:43 pm

I agree with Bailey. Okay, so it’s clearly stupid that he didn’t report he cracked his ribs, but I don’t see it as some sort of telling indication that he lacks character. The dude was trying to suck it up and pitch with broken ribs. If I had a broken rib, I’d be unable to lift the phone receiver at my deskjob. I understand the level of incomprehensibility that this nimrod has yet again had another setback, and I would maybe advocate cutting Pavano just so that the entire team does not perish with him in an on-the-field freak blimp accident, but I just don’t see the moral indignation.

3. August 28th, 2006 | 10:45 pm

During the 2003 World Series, before Game 6, I was in a car accident. Someone rammed into me as I was making a turn. He spun my car around 180 degrees. He hit me so hard that the frame of my car was bent. The windshield popped out – and all the air bags went off in the front of my car.

My car was totaled. I was wearing my seat belt.

I walked away – the worst parts for me being the sound of the accident and the air bags ringing in my ears – and the smell of the air bag chemicals being stuck in my nose.

I would like to know what happened for Pavano that he broke two ribs. It seems like a strange story.

4. Yu Hsing Chen
      August 28th, 2006 | 10:51 pm

void his contract PLZ, even if he isn’t to blame for all this bull, his teammates already have 0 faith in him, plz void his contract and go for someone else..

5. August 28th, 2006 | 11:00 pm

Steve, are you seriously questioning that Pavano broke his ribs because of what happened in your car accident? No two accidents are the same. My aunt was in a somewhat minor car accident and her ankle was shattered. The Mets guy dislocated his shoulder.

Hell, today someone hit me from behind, with very little to no damage to my car but my shoulders and neck are killing me right now.

Accidents happen.

I also like how everyone thinks they know Carl Pavano. And how they think they can just POOF Pavano gone. Contracts can’t just disappear. In case you weren’t aware, he still has one. I believe that not disclosing an injury to your team only covers on the field and field related activities. I doubt very much Pavano will be gone.

6. August 28th, 2006 | 11:05 pm

I think I’d err on the side of maybe the constant barrage of questions about Pavano’s manhood caused him to pitch through something he probably shouldn’t have. At any rate, he still appears to be making his rehab start on Wednesday, and for the record, has thrown pretty well with broken ribs for the last couple outings, so this all may be muchado about nothing.

As for how Pavano could have broken ribs in a car accident, a side impact would probably do it… figure the other car strikes Pavano’s vehicle on either side, the jolt would be enough to perhaps cause the belt to break the ribs, or depending on the side, push him into the center console/armrest or door handle.

Or even if he was hit from behind, perhaps his seat belt’s locking mechanism is strong enough to hold its tension to the point of breaking a rib.

At any rate, folk’s break ribs all the time in car crashes, it’s not quite as common as a neck or arm injury (you’d be surprised at the number of broken arms caused by air bags), but it is common enough to be plausible.

I still think Pavano can be a contributor and his injuries more or less have been legit IMHO. It’s too early to cut bait on him, even if you wanted to… you need to have him throw a few innings this season at the big league level and try to move him this off season. At least get some ROI on that contract.

7. JeremyM
      August 28th, 2006 | 11:49 pm

Is it wrong for me to say I’d rather still see him make his scheduled start in the bigs instead of Jaret Wright?

I don’t know, the more I think about this, the more I think he was trying to tough it out and earn his money. Although the timing (20 minutes after being told he would probably go up to the Yanks) is curious to say the least. But if he wanted to get out of playing, wouldn’t he play this card right away instead of waiting until he finishes 3 rehab starts? I am as frustrated as anyone with this situation and with his track record but I think that in the eagerness to hate Pavano we’re jumping to unreasonable conclusions.

8. hopbitters
      August 29th, 2006 | 12:06 am

From ESPN :

***

…on a rainy night his car hit a puddle, spun
      out of control and hit a truck that was at a
      stop sign…

“There was no ambulance or anything. I was able
      to walk away from it,” Pavano said. “I had my
      seat belt on. I think that’s the area where
      maybe I got injured, is where the seat belt
      was.”

A baseball official, speaking on condition of
      anonymity because the team is only just starting
      its own investigation, said Pavano did not tell
      the club about the accident until Monday, when a
      scan revealed the injury.

***

“OK, here’s what happened. It was a dark and stormy night…”

9. nysupremacy
      August 29th, 2006 | 1:06 am

YAA!!! We won the Carlpaloosah!!!! To be honest, we are lucky we did get him. Since we should have unlimited money, we shouldve gladly wasted 40 mil just to keep him off the red sox b/c he wouldve been a star with them.

Even if Josh Beckett is better than C.P.(considering he actually pitches), wasnt it funny that when the sox got beckett, it was terrific though he was like 4 games under .500 for his career, but when we signed C.P., all that was mentioned in the news was that he was 1 under .500 for his career. ESPN=2nd HOME OF THE RED SOX!!

10. Don
      August 29th, 2006 | 2:29 am

If he did hide his injury, void his contract. I have no comments about Mr. Injury other than this.

11. #15
      August 29th, 2006 | 6:48 am

This guy makes Nick Johnson look like Jake LaMotta.

12. Garcia
      August 29th, 2006 | 7:13 am

Steve – You dog you. I made a comment over at BronxBanter implying Pavano wears a tampon, I got ripped over there because I violated one of NOW’s bylaws. I don’t think the PC police has noticed yet.

I don’t feel bad for Pavano and I don’t think he’s done anything for the Yankees that justifies defending him . I am not against the Yankees looking into releasing him and freeing them of that contract.

I can’t think of any Yankee, in the Joe Torre era, that I’ve despised more than Pavano. Even Kevin Brown had the cojones to want to pitch, despite his back being held together on a thread. This is not a guy of high character in my book.

13. Mr. Furious
      August 29th, 2006 | 7:24 am

I’m waiting for the report detailing how Pavano is out due to burns on his foot suffered when he accidentally set his trash can on fire, and got his foot stuck in it trying to stomp it out.

14. August 29th, 2006 | 9:15 am

Here’s what I’m most interested in now – you’re at a stop sign, and you get rear ended by a New York Yankee, hard enough that the Yankee breaks two ribs, and you don’t get the word out and let the world know?

The guy is worth at least $40 million.

I would have a neck brace on the next AM and my lawyer would be on ESPN.

Yeah, and Jeff Kent got hurt washing his truck.

15. MJ
      August 29th, 2006 | 9:19 am

“Did Carl say how many times his buddy had to hit him with the bat before he felt the ribs crack?”

__________________________

That’s what someone posted in the comments section over at Peter Abraham’s Yankee blog. I wish I could take credit for it though.

Whether or not Pavano is faking his injuries (and I don’t think he is), there’s no denying that a) it’s past the point of ridiculous with the number of setbacks that have taken place in Pavano’s attempt to return to the big leagues, and b) irrespective of how many other teams were bidding on his services two years ago, it always seemed like a dicey proposition to give a big money contract to a player who had the sort of injury history that he did.

I don’t know if I agree with cutting him because I’d rather force him to pitch (just so the salary goes somewhere besides in the toilet), but I do think the Yanks should discipline him via a fine and suspension just so it’s on the record that this sort of behavior isn’t tolerated. You can’t hide injuries at this level – it’s irresponsible.

16. baileywalk
      August 29th, 2006 | 10:11 am

The fact that Pavano broke his ribs and pitched turns this whole story around and makes for a delicious irony. All this time people have been saying Pavano is scared to pitch and creating injuries (or just that he didn’t have the will to pitch with any pain). Now he plays “tough guy” and doesn’t report pain in his side — which turns out to be broken ribs — and he gets ripped again. So he was a pussy who wouldn’t pitch when people thought he had “fake” injuries, and now he’s a fool when his injuries are real and he pitched through them.

You know what you think A-Rod is going through? Well imagine how Carl Pavano feels, having to read about his malingering all the time. Do you really think he wanted to announce ANOTHER injury?

I think Yankee fans should be happy that he pitched through the injury. And I’m still mystified by the reaction to this news. All anyone talked about is that he was too soft, and now he’s pitching through an injury and people STILL hate his guts.

17. August 29th, 2006 | 10:15 am

I think most people don’t think Pavano is afraid to pitch – just afraid to pitch in New York, for the Yankees.

Trenton and Columbus, on a rehab start, is not pressure.

18. rmd0311
      August 29th, 2006 | 1:22 pm

Well., I like the Bird analogy. Funny and right on point. Not saying he did this to himself. But the point that this was not reported and the person he hit did not see dollar bills when he noticed a millionaire is who hit him as stated above makes this very fishy.

If there is a way to just cut your losses, I say CUT em.

August 29th, 2006 | 11:33 pm

Trenton and Columbus, on a rehab start, is not pressure.
      ===================
      Why? He pitched here last year.

And we’ve been through the pressure bit. Either you can pitch, or you cannot. If you had a nondescript career before you came to NY, expect the same level of performance when you play in NY.