• The Three Faces Of A-Rod

Posted by on August 29th, 2006 · Comments (10)

Three things that we know to be true about Alex Rodriguez this season:

1. He does not bat well when the Yankees are trailing (in score) and it’s a close contest.

2. He does not bat well when facing a pitcher in a game for the first time.

3. He does not bat well when there’s a runner on third base and there’s less than 2 outs.

These three facts, when examined together, support the theory that A-Rod is pressing this season – and that’s his biggest problem.

Basically, in spots where Rodriguez feels that he has to make something happen – he fails. I wonder if Jim Fannin is focusing on these areas with Alex?

This all also makes me think that, if the Yankees can get A-Rod into a spot where he doesn’t need to be “the man” – like in 2005 – then perhaps Alex will rebound once that happens.

But, until that happens, I suspect that we will continue to see what we’re seeing from Rodriguez this season – strikeouts and double plays in big spots – and a failure to step up when needed.

This whole thing reminds me of the best baseline in the history of modern popular music. I won’t say it – because then it will stuck in your head for hours.

And, as the three faces of Alex Rodriguez has shown us this season, having something stuck in your head can be a bad thing.

Comments on The Three Faces Of A-Rod

1. August 29th, 2006 | 12:31 pm

A-Rod thinks way too much when he’s in the batter’s box. You can’t think about hitting a 95 mph fastball, you just have to react to it.

It’s easier said than done, but he just needs to shut off his brain and let his instincts take over.

2. RICH
      August 29th, 2006 | 12:38 pm

Thank goodness for Pavano, only 4 of your last 7 threads have been about Arod.

3. August 29th, 2006 | 12:43 pm

I’m sure that A-Rod’s camp doesn’t mind the Pavano news today.

4. festus
      August 29th, 2006 | 1:34 pm

I always thought the best baseline in the history of popular music is the opening to the theme song for “Barney Miller,” http://tinyurl.com/8c5vc, but maybe that’s just me.

5. MJ
      August 29th, 2006 | 1:46 pm

Festus, I’m right there with you. That Barney Miller theme song is tops.

6. Don
      August 29th, 2006 | 1:56 pm

So far these past few days, Alex has consulted with John Wooden and Reggie Jackson. Maybe he should sojourn to Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne and commune with Babe Ruth.

7. Jason
      August 29th, 2006 | 4:47 pm

He was the highest paid played in baseball. He was booed at home and one the road. One of his quotes ” If I lead the league in homers and runs batted in and win the MVP award and we win the World Series, they’ll say he should have done that, look what they are paying him”. “If I don’t do it it will be my fault”

He is now one of the most cherished Yankees.

Reginald Martinez Jackson

It’s all one big cycle

8. #15
      August 29th, 2006 | 5:52 pm

Cherised??? Reggie??? Huh??? Right up there with Winfield, I suppose. Sometimes I struggle with the concept of who is, and is not, a “real” Yankee. At other times, like with these two, it’s a pretty easy and clear call. With Reggie, I like’d the dingers and RBI’s (hated his dogging ways in the field (where he couldn’t carry even an aged Paul Blair’s shoes), but cherised, never.

9. #15
      August 29th, 2006 | 5:55 pm

One last thought, A-Rod is struggling, mightily, right now, but he’ll still be a factor for the good for the next 5 years. Players do have bad seasons…you can look it up.

August 29th, 2006 | 11:19 pm

Cherised??? Reggie??? Huh??? Right up there with Winfield, I suppose.
      =========

If you think about it, from the way he left town to having his # retired in Monument Park, it’s not that much of a stretch :)