• September 11th @ The Orioles

Posted by on September 11th, 2006 · Comments (9)

With a little better defense, and maybe some luckier direction on a grounder, Randy Johnson’s night doesn’t look quite as bad.

Watching Cano hit the big “double” in the 7th tonight, reminded me of something. People like to say that they see some Rod Carew in Cano. As a kid, I can remember people saying that Carew had a knack for always hitting the ball towards the worst fielder on the field – and some of his hits would have been outs had a better fielder been manning that spot. The weaker fielder would always seem to miss the ball by a foot or inches, and Carew would get the hit.

Robinson Cano may not be Carew like in his career, but, in that one At Bat tonight, he hit the “double” at the right guy (Tatis). Hey, better lucky than good, right?

So, Torre is now #3 all-time on the Yankees win list. This probably clinches the retirement of “6″ when Joe hangs them up.

You know, pretty soon, the Yankees are going to have 20 uniform numbers retired. At this rate, by the year 2040, there will be many regulars on the Yankees roster wearing numbers in the ’60′s – just wait and see. That just seems wrong.

Speaking of wrong, as much as I love to see the Yankees win, it’s sort of painful to watch the Orioles these days. This is nine years in a row for them where they’ve been really bad.

Growing up, I can remember having to face the O’s – with Weaver, Singleton, Murray, Grich, Palmer, Flanagan, McGregor, et al – and they were such a proud organization. Now, they’re just lucky that Tampa Bay is in the division.

Hey, if it can happen to them, maybe it can happen to Boston someday too?

Comments on September 11th @ The Orioles

1. Yu Hsing Chen
      September 11th, 2006 | 11:51 pm

And what’s worse is that if TB makes the right moves and sign the right FAs this winter (and up their payroll to around 50M … stil 25M lower than the O’s) they’d most likely pass them …

The O’s have some really nice players too, but they have made some terrible FA signings … Palmero? Ponson? Javy Lopez? (eek)

It can happen to any teams really, the Yankees had many years of close but no cigars up to the early 90s too…

2. rbj
      September 12th, 2006 | 9:08 am

Can’t wait for the first triple digit Yankee. (though I’ll probably be dead by then)

3. MJ
      September 12th, 2006 | 9:20 am

//At this rate, by the year 2040, there will be many regulars on the Yankees roster wearing numbers in the ’60′s just wait and see. That just seems wrong.//

Doesn’t seem wrong to me. I can’t wait until the day I go to the ballpark for Paul O’Neil/Bernie Williams/Derek Jeter/Mariano Rivera Day.

4. September 12th, 2006 | 9:53 am

5. MJ
      September 12th, 2006 | 10:03 am

//I guess it’s a good thing that the Yankees have had so many great players that they need to retire so many numbers.//

That’s my feeling. Better to have players wearing uniforms in the 60′s than to be a fan of some scrubby anonymous team with all the national appeal and historical relevance of an old shoe. And if that isn’t what makes us Yankee fans arrogant and self-righteous, I don’t know what is (and I love every minute of it).

6. Jen
      September 12th, 2006 | 10:27 am

//I admired Angelos’ stance on not using replacement players. That’s about the only good thing I can say about him.//

He must have relaxed that stance in recent years, because Millar is a replacement player.

7. September 12th, 2006 | 10:28 am

I think he meant that he would not use them during the work stoppage from 94-95. (That would have screwed Ripken’s streak, FWIW.)

8. Jen
      September 12th, 2006 | 10:50 am

Oh. I thought Angelos had continued to do that after the work stoppage as well.

Uh, never mind then.

9. rbj
      September 12th, 2006 | 2:19 pm

Uh, yeah, that’s what I meant. Thanks Steve. I didn’t realize the Millar was a replacement guy.

Didn’t realize Corey Lidle was a replacement guy too.