• Goodbye Columbus

Posted by on September 15th, 2006 · Comments (8)

From The Columbus Dispatch -

The New York Yankees announced today that they will not renew their deal with the Columbus Clippers baseball team, which ended with the Clippers’ regular season Sept. 4.

Columbus Baseball Team Inc. is set to begin negotiations with available Major League Baseball teams Saturday and has until Sept. 30 to sign with another major-league club. Major league teams currently without triple-A affiliations include the New York Mets, Washington Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles.

“I can guarantee there will be baseball in Columbus next season,” Clippers president Ken Schnacke said.

It is believed that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman wants his triple-A team closer to New York. Scranton, Pa., approximately 120 miles west of New York City, is available since the Philadelphia Phillies allowed their contract to lapse. The team currently known as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barrons will play in Allentown in 2008, and Philadelphia is rumored to be planning to play its top minor-league team in Ottawa for the 2007 season.

Well, the folks in PA are saying it’s a done deal, for what it’s worth.

I can just see Cashman, in his best Edith Bunker voice, saying: “We’re not going to Disney World, or any other world – we’re going to Scranton!” (You probably have to watch a lot of All-In-The-Family to get this one.)

When I was a kid, the Yankees played their Triple-A games in Syracuse. So, it’s not heart-breaking to me that they’ll no longer be in Columbus – as I’ve known it to be different already.

From the report in PA:

Reportedly, one of the demands that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plans to make is that they keep the Red Barons as its nickname—and the Yankees concur.

What, and not the “Red Baron Von Steingrabbers?”

(Yeah, I know it’s “General Von Steingrabber.” I’m just having a little fun here.)

Comments on Goodbye Columbus

1. MJ
      September 15th, 2006 | 9:53 am

I’m surprised the Mets let their deal with Norfolk lapse. I’ve been to that ballpark and it’s new and modern and a really nice place to catch a minor league game. If the Nationals are smart, they’ll latch onto Norfolk, since it’s only about a 3 hour drive south from Washington, D.C.

I wonder where the Mets will end up.

2. rbj
      September 15th, 2006 | 10:09 am

The scuttlebut is that the Orioles will snatch up Norfolk. Don’t want the Nats to gain any traction in the region.

I guess this is goodbye to the Columbus shuttle.

3. baileywalk
      September 15th, 2006 | 10:24 am

This is good news for me. It took me about an hour an a half/two hours to get to the Thunder games. It’ll probably take an hour more to get to this. But at least I’ll still be able to see Hughes, Clippard and Cox next year (though hopefully they’ll be up in the Bronx before too long).

4. jonm
      September 15th, 2006 | 10:28 am

This is good for me. Scranton is potentially drivable. I was there a few years ago when the Clippers were in town and saw an El Duque rehab start. It’s not a bad ballpark and will be better with natural grass.

In the long-run, I wonder if the Yankees would want their AAA affiliate to be in Northern Jersey. Newark or Jersey City should have jumped at that.

5. MJ
      September 15th, 2006 | 10:37 am

Just a week or so ago I was lamenting the fact that I wouldn’t be able to see Hughes or the other young arms until they got to the Bronx. I’d do the drive to Scranton without thinking twice. Although I’m surprised the Yanks didn’t look at locations in lower Connecticut. A ballpark in Fairfield right near the water would’ve been nice.

6. September 15th, 2006 | 2:43 pm

A few years ago, around the summer of 2003, I went to a Red Barons’ game, it was a double-header, and it was a lot of fun…

What I do have to show is a picture of me from that game with the mascot…

Yes, I was 15, and yes, I had a full goatee, but anyway!

Good times a-wait! (Btw, you have FULL rights to use that picture… :-P)

7. baileywalk
      September 15th, 2006 | 4:50 pm

That mascot looks effed-up, dude. Was it bong give-away night?

8. Jen
      September 15th, 2006 | 8:10 pm

Brent! I think you were sitting right in front of me last night. You knew all those mooks who were sitting in the back of 39, right? Sorry, I dissed on your boys a bit on my blog. I wasn’t feeling well last night.

Moving the AAA team to Scranton would be great. Its only about 2 hours from me. Plus it would give me an excuse to go to that candle shop on Rte. 80.